Love it or list it - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

991
Sponsored by:

Love it or list it

Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 AM
  #31  
OC 991
User
 
OC 991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Laguna Beach
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by 911seeker View Post
OR, try a macan as the loaner I got today, and drive a ****ty minivan for 2 weeks, as I did during the holidays in Spain, and when you get back in your 911 you will fill the love again...
This ^

It's a perpetual predicament... you would have gotten a new .2 GTS and in 12/18 months you'd have to start this whole thing over again after seeing the 992
Seriously, I'm betting a whole lot of 991.2 guys will be going through what you just did.
Actually, it won't just be the .2 guys...I have a feeling Porsche is going to pull out all the stops with the new 992.
They'll make even the the na purists reconsider switching over to fi.
I think when it's unveiled it will be as breathtaking as the 993 was.
So...no worries, you'll still repeat this agony all over again, ill be there right along side of you
OC 991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM
  #32  
Gus_Smedstad
User
 
Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 754
Default

Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
Financial considerations aside, it is better to get the car you want which almost always means new.
While I was feeling ambivalent when I posted in this thread 2 months ago, I'm not now. I'm liking my new GTS much more than my C4S. Perversely, I think the biggest change for me has been appearance, not anything functional about how it drives. I love the looks of the sapphire blue / blue top / black interior, and I was always a bit unsatisfied with the amaranth red / black top / beige interior of my prior car. With the C4S, every time I looked at it side-by-side in the garage with my wife's yellow Cayman S, I was struck by how much more I liked the looks of her Cayman. I'm not feeling that way at all anymore.

There are, of course, functional differences, like manual transmission, the 991.2 MF wheel (which is nice), rear axle steering, etc. It's just that the appearance is what I notice most, superficial as that is. I can't say that I've felt the power difference, but I've had little opportunity to really unwind it yet. And of course the car has only 150 miles on it yet, so it's well within the break-in period.

So, yeah. Getting exactly what I wanted did require, as you said, ordering new. Though I feel that's largely because of my tastes, which diverge significantly from the majority who prefer gray or white.
Gus_Smedstad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 PM
  #33  
AnandN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
AnandN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 321
Default

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
While I was feeling ambivalent when I posted in this thread 2 months ago, I'm not now. I'm liking my new GTS much more than my C4S. Perversely, I think the biggest change for me has been appearance, not anything functional about how it drives. I love the looks of the sapphire blue / blue top / black interior, and I was always a bit unsatisfied with the amaranth red / black top / beige interior of my prior car. With the C4S, every time I looked at it side-by-side in the garage with my wife's yellow Cayman S, I was struck by how much more I liked the looks of her Cayman. I'm not feeling that way at all anymore.

There are, of course, functional differences, like manual transmission, the 991.2 MF wheel (which is nice), rear axle steering, etc. It's just that the appearance is what I notice most, superficial as that is. I can't say that I've felt the power difference, but I've had little opportunity to really unwind it yet. And of course the car has only 150 miles on it yet, so it's well within the break-in period.

So, yeah. Getting exactly what I wanted did require, as you said, ordering new. Though I feel that's largely because of my tastes, which diverge significantly from the majority who prefer gray or white.
We all have different tastes. I saw your car. It is not for me. I do not like 911 cabs or the GTS models in the 991.2 lineup. . And I like different colors. I am sure my 4s coupe wouldn’t be to your satisfaction either. Which is why personalizing a Porsche is so much fun. When one is spending above 100k, I think some of us who are more fussy like to order new cars. The CPO thing is not for me. I ordered a new Boxster S in 2013 and really loved it but couldn’t drive it in the winter. So traded it in and got my 911 configured the way I wanted it. No regrets. I couldn't find a single 911 in the Boston/NH area ( on dealer lots) that I was willing to buy. I think dealers know that. The cars on lots probably get leased. Mostly automatics.
Somone posted about a low mileage 2017 911 S for 105k. Looking at the colors and options, I would not touch that car even though it is 30k below MSRP.
AnandN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
  #34  
K-A
User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,460
Default

Originally Posted by OC 991 View Post
Seriously, I'm betting a whole lot of 991.2 guys will be going through what you just did.
Actually, it won't just be the .2 guys...I have a feeling Porsche is going to pull out all the stops with the new 992.
They'll make even the the na purists reconsider switching over to fi.
Iíll believe it when I start it up and hear it. But unless they pull off some voodoo (which is what theyíre masters at), Iím skeptical Iíll feel compelled. Itíll have to provide me a major element that I find missing in the 991.2, and that seems antithesis to its new nature. But who knows. Also, letís hope that interior shows a lot better than press pics.

Exterior we know will be stunning as itís essentially a tweaking of the 991 design.
K-A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 PM
  #35  
Johnny5Alive
User
 
Johnny5Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 422
Default

Originally Posted by OC 991 View Post
This ^

It's a perpetual predicament... you would have gotten a new .2 GTS and in 12/18 months you'd have to start this whole thing over again after seeing the 992
Seriously, I'm betting a whole lot of 991.2 guys will be going through what you just did.
Actually, it won't just be the .2 guys...I have a feeling Porsche is going to pull out all the stops with the new 992.
They'll make even the the na purists reconsider switching over to fi.
I think when it's unveiled it will be as breathtaking as the 993 was.
So...no worries, you'll still repeat this agony all over again, ill be there right along side of you
Iíve seen and heard the 992 test mule in person and I think youíre wrong.
Johnny5Alive is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:11 AM
  #36  
OC 991
User
 
OC 991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Laguna Beach
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post


I’ll believe it when I start it up and hear it. But unless they pull off some voodoo (which is what they’re masters at), I’m skeptical I’ll feel compelled. It’ll have to provide me a major element that I find missing in the 991.2, and that seems antithesis to its new nature. But who knows. Also, let’s hope that interior shows a lot better than press pics.

Exterior we know will be stunning as it’s essentially a tweaking of the 991 design.

I HAVE FAITH!

I don't necessarily think it's the antithesis... McLaren, Maserati, Ferrari, AMG, etc. have all broken that status quo of "turbo's and great sound being mutually exclusive".
Porsche knows they have disappointed a lot of fans with this unilateral f/i move, especially as it pertains to the sound, moreover I think they've disappointed themselves.
Acoustically they are lagging behind all the aforementioned and they know it.
You better believe they will engineer the snot out of that underwhelming results, at least they'd better!

That said,I agree... to win over the n/a crowd it'll take more than a great resonance signature worthy of the Porsche name.
As such I think they will indeed do some Germanic voodoo and wow us all
When the camo drops off the 992 mules it will reveal the most beautifully proportion 911 ever made... (I really hope they are reading this).

Not that I'll make me sell my last of the n/a 911 though ... but I sure would like the above to be true as I really really don't want this to be the last newer generation 911 I buy!

Anyway we've gotten wayyy of topic here, sorry op.

Last edited by OC 991; 01-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
OC 991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 AM
  #37  
OC 991
User
 
OC 991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Laguna Beach
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive View Post


I’ve seen and heard the 992 test mule in person and I think you’re wrong.
I haven't seen or heard the 992 test mule and I think you're wrong!

Johnny, you're killing me here...
Clearly I'm hoping more than stating a fact (although the former is the internet version of the latter, fact).
Don't you know hey are playing with us... crappy test mules with 991 body shell's, white lines draw all over it, crappy sound, crappy wheels that don't match, half naked women as passengers to distract us.... (hey just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen)

I'm telling ya, from what I've seen the base 992 will have the turbo body... take that starting point and apply an equation of the forth coming design as we go up the line... people will have to enlarge their garages to make a C4S fit!

We'll know soon enough.
Cheers!
OC 991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 AM
  #38  
PLAY_HRD
User
 
PLAY_HRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Triangle, VA
Posts: 6
Default

911seeker, I recently bought a CPO 2017 911 C4S (see my profile for pictures), Night Blue Metallic with Black/Luxor Beige full leather interior, plus a very nice list of options. Soooooo, here's my dilemma, I bought the car with PDK because DC traffic is horrible, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to ever love driving an automatic. Based on what you mentioned in your posts I thought you may find my car interesting. Not 100% sure I'll ready to pull the ripcord, but if you were interested I might go ahead and cut my losses and focus on getting something with a manual transmission. Like you, I'm debating "love it" of "list it".
PLAY_HRD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM
  #39  
Gus_Smedstad
User
 
Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 754
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive View Post
Iíve seen and heard the 992 test mule in person and I think youíre wrong.
Test mules should never be taken as indicative of the production car's appearance.They're engineering test platforms, and aesthetics are not a consideration.
Gus_Smedstad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM
  #40  
OC 991
User
 
OC 991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Laguna Beach
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
Test mules should never be taken as indicative of the production car's appearance.They're engineering test platforms, and aesthetics are not a consideration.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say...
Except you did concisely in one-line and so much more eloquent... I'm going have to to hang out here more
OC 991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CharleyH
Vehicle Marketplace
24
01-27-2018 01:45 PM
911schalker
997 Forum
10
01-24-2018 11:30 PM
fueledbymetal
991
18
12-13-2017 07:29 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: