Sponsored by:

Love it or list it

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
OR, try a macan as the loaner I got today, and drive a ****ty minivan for 2 weeks, as I did during the holidays in Spain, and when you get back in your 911 you will fill the love again...
This ^

It's a perpetual predicament... you would have gotten a new .2 GTS and in 12/18 months you'd have to start this whole thing over again after seeing the 992
Seriously, I'm betting a whole lot of 991.2 guys will be going through what you just did.
Actually, it won't just be the .2 guys...I have a feeling Porsche is going to pull out all the stops with the new 992.
They'll make even the the na purists reconsider switching over to fi.
I think when it's unveiled it will be as breathtaking as the 993 was.
So...no worries, you'll still repeat this agony all over again, ill be there right along side of you
Old 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Financial considerations aside, it is better to get the car you want which almost always means new.
While I was feeling ambivalent when I posted in this thread 2 months ago, I'm not now. I'm liking my new GTS much more than my C4S. Perversely, I think the biggest change for me has been appearance, not anything functional about how it drives. I love the looks of the sapphire blue / blue top / black interior, and I was always a bit unsatisfied with the amaranth red / black top / beige interior of my prior car. With the C4S, every time I looked at it side-by-side in the garage with my wife's yellow Cayman S, I was struck by how much more I liked the looks of her Cayman. I'm not feeling that way at all anymore.

There are, of course, functional differences, like manual transmission, the 991.2 MF wheel (which is nice), rear axle steering, etc. It's just that the appearance is what I notice most, superficial as that is. I can't say that I've felt the power difference, but I've had little opportunity to really unwind it yet. And of course the car has only 150 miles on it yet, so it's well within the break-in period.

So, yeah. Getting exactly what I wanted did require, as you said, ordering new. Though I feel that's largely because of my tastes, which diverge significantly from the majority who prefer gray or white.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
While I was feeling ambivalent when I posted in this thread 2 months ago, I'm not now. I'm liking my new GTS much more than my C4S. Perversely, I think the biggest change for me has been appearance, not anything functional about how it drives. I love the looks of the sapphire blue / blue top / black interior, and I was always a bit unsatisfied with the amaranth red / black top / beige interior of my prior car. With the C4S, every time I looked at it side-by-side in the garage with my wife's yellow Cayman S, I was struck by how much more I liked the looks of her Cayman. I'm not feeling that way at all anymore.

There are, of course, functional differences, like manual transmission, the 991.2 MF wheel (which is nice), rear axle steering, etc. It's just that the appearance is what I notice most, superficial as that is. I can't say that I've felt the power difference, but I've had little opportunity to really unwind it yet. And of course the car has only 150 miles on it yet, so it's well within the break-in period.

So, yeah. Getting exactly what I wanted did require, as you said, ordering new. Though I feel that's largely because of my tastes, which diverge significantly from the majority who prefer gray or white.
We all have different tastes. I saw your car. It is not for me. I do not like 911 cabs or the GTS models in the 991.2 lineup. . And I like different colors. I am sure my 4s coupe wouldn’t be to your satisfaction either. Which is why personalizing a Porsche is so much fun. When one is spending above 100k, I think some of us who are more fussy like to order new cars. The CPO thing is not for me. I ordered a new Boxster S in 2013 and really loved it but couldn’t drive it in the winter. So traded it in and got my 911 configured the way I wanted it. No regrets. I couldn't find a single 911 in the Boston/NH area ( on dealer lots) that I was willing to buy. I think dealers know that. The cars on lots probably get leased. Mostly automatics.
Somone posted about a low mileage 2017 911 S for 105k. Looking at the colors and options, I would not touch that car even though it is 30k below MSRP.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
Seriously, I'm betting a whole lot of 991.2 guys will be going through what you just did.
Actually, it won't just be the .2 guys...I have a feeling Porsche is going to pull out all the stops with the new 992.
I’ll believe it when I start it up and hear it. But unless they pull off some voodoo (which is what they’re masters at), I’m skeptical I’ll feel compelled. It’ll have to provide me a major element that I find missing in the 991.2, and that seems antithesis to its new nature. But who knows. Also, let’s hope that interior shows a lot better than press pics.

Exterior we know will be stunning as it’s essentially a tweaking of the 991 design.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
This ^

It's a perpetual predicament... you would have gotten a new .2 GTS and in 12/18 months you'd have to start this whole thing over again after seeing the 992
I think when it's unveiled it will be as breathtaking as the 993 was.
So...no worries, you'll still repeat this agony all over again, ill be there right along side of you
I’ve seen and heard the 992 test mule in person and I think you’re wrong.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:11 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

I’ll believe it when I start it up and hear it. But unless they pull off some voodoo (which is what they’re masters at), I’m skeptical I’ll feel compelled. It’ll have to provide me a major element that I find missing in the 991.2, and that seems antithesis to its new nature. But who knows. Also, let’s hope that interior shows a lot better than press pics.

Exterior we know will be stunning as it’s essentially a tweaking of the 991 design.

I HAVE FAITH!

I don't necessarily think it's the antithesis... McLaren, Maserati, Ferrari, AMG, etc. have all broken that status quo of "turbo's and great sound being mutually exclusive".
Porsche knows they have disappointed a lot of fans with this unilateral f/i move, especially as it pertains to the sound, moreover I think they've disappointed themselves.
Acoustically they are lagging behind all the aforementioned and they know it.
You better believe they will engineer the snot out of that underwhelming results, at least they'd better!

That said,I agree... to win over the n/a crowd it'll take more than a great resonance signature worthy of the Porsche name.
As such I think they will indeed do some Germanic voodoo and wow us all
When the camo drops off the 992 mules it will reveal the most beautifully proportion 911 ever made... (I really hope they are reading this).

Not that I'll make me sell my last of the n/a 911 though ... but I sure would like the above to be true as I really really don't want this to be the last newer generation 911 I buy!

Anyway we've gotten wayyy of topic here, sorry op.

Last edited by OC 991; 01-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive

I haven't seen or heard the 992 test mule and I think you're wrong!

Johnny, you're killing me here...
Clearly I'm hoping more than stating a fact (although the former is the internet version of the latter, fact).
Don't you know hey are playing with us... crappy test mules with 991 body shell's, white lines draw all over it, crappy sound, crappy wheels that don't match, half naked women as passengers to distract us.... (hey just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen)

I'm telling ya, from what I've seen the base 992 will have the turbo body... take that starting point and apply an equation of the forth coming design as we go up the line... people will have to enlarge their garages to make a C4S fit!

We'll know soon enough.
Cheers!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 AM
PLAY_HRD
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

911seeker, I recently bought a CPO 2017 911 C4S (see my profile for pictures), Night Blue Metallic with Black/Luxor Beige full leather interior, plus a very nice list of options. Soooooo, here's my dilemma, I bought the car with PDK because DC traffic is horrible, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to ever love driving an automatic. Based on what you mentioned in your posts I thought you may find my car interesting. Not 100% sure I'll ready to pull the ripcord, but if you were interested I might go ahead and cut my losses and focus on getting something with a manual transmission. Like you, I'm debating "love it" of "list it".
Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Test mules should never be taken as indicative of the production car's appearance.They're engineering test platforms, and aesthetics are not a consideration.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Test mules should never be taken as indicative of the production car's appearance.They're engineering test platforms, and aesthetics are not a consideration.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say...
Except you did concisely in one-line and so much more eloquent... I'm going have to to hang out here more
Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this old thread... I have finally "listed it" on the rennlist classifieds marketplace.

I am taking it to Spain with me in a few weeks if it doesn't sell at the price there. I understand it is not a "bargain" but I think it is fair for the car... and it is what it makes sense for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1150908

Anybody with serious interest, and preferably locals to Miami or thereabouts, can reach me via private messages for the next FEW days, as I will be confirming the transportation date to the moving company by the end of next week.

Best

Quick Reply: Love it or list it