Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Ask any Chevy dealer if they have a "brand image problem " selling an 80k dollar Corvette parked in a showroom of 20k dollar cars and they will laugh you off the lot for how foolish that sounds... Even a generally out of touch American manufacture understands that a Corvette buyer is in no way affected by the companies other offerings....
I agree to an extent. As a C7 owner, I can tell you that the dealership experience really does suck compared to Porsche or any other luxury brand. I don't think I will ever buy another C7, GTR, or any other "halo" car from a manufacturer that primarily specializes in rolling econo boxes.

These service departments spend 99% of their time working on cars they have an MSRP under 20k... There is nothing fun about seeing your 100k+ GTR on a lift next to a Versa or your 80k+ Vette being worked on along side a Spark... Regardless if there are special mechanics that are certified to work on these cars at dealers, the service worker you first talk to when you roll in knows nothing about your vehicle and you can see the wide eyed look on the porter's face just waiting to be tossed the keys so he can gun it around the parking lot...

The C7 is primarily my wife's toy and it took A LOT for her to get over the Chevy badge on the car (I don't think she ever got fully over it lol). I would venture to say there are a lot of other potential buyers that pass on the C7 for that reason alone and it really is a shame. I think the C7 is the best value sports car you can buy under 100k. I know it would never happen but it would be nice if they rebranded the Vette under Cadillac and utilized their dealers for all servicing.

I definitely don't think the Porsche dealer experience would suffer from adding a sub 50k sports car option to their line. I think they have already shown having a sub 50k option (base Macan starting MSRP) has proven that to be a non-issue for the brand. What I think they are concerned with is cannibalizing 911 sales. That has always been their fear with the Cayman and Boxster.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I agree to an extent. As a C7 owner, I can tell you that the dealership experience really does suck compared to Porsche or any other luxury brand. I don't think I will ever buy another C7, GTR, or any other "halo" car from a manufacturer that primarily specializes in rolling econo boxes.

These service departments spend 99% of their time working on cars they have an MSRP under 20k... There is nothing fun about seeing your 100k+ GTR on a lift next to a Versa or your 80k+ Vette being worked on along side a Spark... Regardless if there are special mechanics that are certified to work on these cars at dealers, the service worker you first talk to when you roll in knows nothing about your vehicle and you can see the wide eyed look on the porter's face just waiting to be tossed the keys so he can gun it around the parking lot...

The C7 is primarily my wife's toy and it took A LOT for her to get over the Chevy badge on the car (I don't think she ever got fully over it lol). I would venture to say there are a lot of other potential buyers that pass on the C7 for that reason alone and it really is a shame. I think the C7 is the best value sports car you can buy under 100k. I know it would never happen but it would be nice if they rebranded the Vette under Cadillac and utilized their dealers for all servicing.

I definitely don't think the Porsche dealer experience would suffer from adding a sub 50k sports car option to their line. I think they have already shown having a sub 50k option (base Macan starting MSRP) has proven that to be a non-issue for the brand. What I think they are concerned with is cannibalizing 911 sales. That has always been their fear with the Cayman and Boxster.

I completely agree with you which is why I'd never even consider one but being a Porsche owner / enthusiast as well puts us in a different category altogether. The Corvette remains of the most successful and longest selling sports cars ever made and the sales numbers suggest that most people in the Corvette market are not bothered by the Chevy image ( I'd argue many actually enjoy that)...

The dealership problem is an interesting one because I didn't have a great experience purchasing my 991 from a highly regarded Porsche dealer and find most Porsche dealers up in the North East these days filled with Cayenne's / Macan's making a Cayman or 911 feel slightly out of place in the shop as well.

I doubt an entry level sports car will have any effect on brand image in the shop. Some people might see a base 718 parked on a lift next to a new GT3RS and feel the same way already.

I also doubt 911 sales would be cannibalized so long as the features and price gap between them remains large. I doubt the average 911 purchaser these days would pay much attention to a smaller ,more simple and less powerful sports car with few options.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM
phow
Pro

I completely agree with you which is why I'd never even consider one but being a Porsche owner / enthusiast as well puts us in a different category altogether. The Corvette remains of the most successful and longest selling sports cars ever made and the sales numbers suggest that most people in the Corvette market are not bothered by the Chevy image ( I'd argue many actually enjoy that)...
Yes and no. The long time enthusiasts probably do enjoy the Chevrolet image. However, the C7 generation put the Corvette in front of a new group of buyers that never really had interest in the car previously. The redesign really appeals to a younger car enthusiast and has helped remove the stigma that vettes are only owned by old white guys wearing Hawaiian shirts. My wife and I had zero interest in the vette until the C7 and I know a lot of other C7 owners that feel the same way.

The dealership problem is an interesting one because I didn't have a great experience purchasing my 991 from a highly regarded Porsche dealer and find most Porsche dealers up in the North East these days filled with Cayenne's / Macan's making a Cayman or 911 feel slightly out of place in the shop as well.
I have personally had really pleasant dealer experiences but the dealers around here do sell a healthy number 911's and Caymans/Boxsters. Those are primarily the models you see on the lot. I will say your less than great experience at Porsche would probably only be amplified 10x at a Chevrolet dealer if you are looking at a Corvette

I doubt an entry level sports car will have any effect on brand image in the shop. Some people might see a base 718 parked on a lift next to a new GT3RS and feel the same way already.
The 718 isn't some cheap econo box so I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at it if it was parked next to their GT3RS or god forbid, a 918 But a soccer mom's mini van? Now that's a different story :P

I also doubt 911 sales would be cannibalized so long as the features and price gap between them remains large. I doubt the average 911 purchaser these days would pay much attention to a smaller ,more simple and less powerful sports car with few options.
I agree. I don't think many shopping for a 911 would take a second look at a smaller and less powerful sports car positioned under the Cayman/Boxster. If they do, they probably already own a GT4 or something similar. I do think it may potentially cause an issue with those buyers stretching financially to get into a 911 or a Cayman/Boxster. The Cayman/Boxster definitely takes a small bite out of 911 sales. There are owners that could have probably swung a 911 purchase but "settled" for a Cayman/Boxster because it was easier on the wallet and provides a similar overall experience. I could see the same happening to the Cayman/Boxster if there was another model below them.

Overall, Porsche would probably sell more cars but I don't know if they would actually make more $$$ at the end of the day.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Can’t really compare a Vette to anything else really. Vettes have a totally different buyer base, built by its nostalgic image and rise as the ultimate longstanding American sports car (I know the C7 has widened its appeal, but the Vette brand is still in play). “Plastic fantastic.” Porsche or anything else for that matter couldn’t get away with even attempting to encroach on Chevy’s business model without throwing their version of brand cachet out the window.

My friend spent $100K on a GTR and I can tell you it’s a nightmare for him to get his car serviced as he pulls up in a porters dream joyride amidst Sentras and Cubes. When he’s come with me to drop my car off at a dealer; the experience, the loaners I get, and the level of cars (even the lowest level of car you’ll see at the service bay is a car worthy of prestige) he sees makes him envious enough that he keeps talking about how much he wants to trade in.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Lol I’d hardly consider that a nightmare scenario. Who cares what else is on the lifts when you get yours serviced. That’s an odd perspective to me.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Lol I €™d hardly consider that a nightmare scenario. Who cares what else is on the lifts when you get yours serviced. That €™s an odd perspective to me.
Then you haven't had the privilege of having your car damaged by a dealer mechanic that shouldn't have been any where near it

Nissan and Chevrolet have specific certifications for mechanics in order to be able to work on the GTR or Corvette. Unfortunately, the car goes through several sets of hands before it reaches these specially certified mechanics. Those hands are the problem.

I had my GTR damaged by an unrelated mechanic that was working on a mini van right next to my car at the dealer. It was one of those incidents that made you realize your 100k+ sports car is not in an environment where you typically find a high caliber of work being done.

It's the same thing when you go to an independent shop. If you tell me you don't look at the type of cars being worked on at an indie shop before handing over the keys, you are a much more trusting person than myself
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

Lol I €™d hardly consider that a nightmare scenario. Who cares what else is on the lifts when you get yours serviced. That €™s an odd perspective to me.
I do, and people who buy those cars clearly do.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:23 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don’t even trust main dealers tbh. Independent, Porsche-only shops all the way. I’m fortunate to live in a place where there’s a choice of even those.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 13S and now a 17 base, both with a manual transmission. I would have not bought the new car had I not lost the other in a flood.

I liked the old car, I think the newer car is nicer to drive. The .2 feels so good when driving and the power comes on quick and I get accustomed to the performance of the car and I don't even realize how fast it is. The .1S would kick in after 3500 and it was a thrill. I would be indifferent about the .1 vs. .2 but not with the surge in price of the .1 - I would buy new or wait.

I would like to have the GT3 Touring Edition.

I think the turbo cars are fantastic.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Dealership

I agree with this completely I had a really crappy experience with the Porsche dealership in NY. My Buddy got his grand sport from a dealership in Atlantic City and I actually flew in with him to pick up the ride. The dealership was great and everything as promised. There was a very slight scratch on the door sill and the dealership replaced it with an upgraded version and an apology. +1 for Chebby.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I'll almost always consider any new 911 GTS, though not sure if more power is what I want in a new one...I'd be WAY more interested in more GT handling parts...
Old 11-21-2017, 03:26 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by DNorby
I had a 13S and now a 17 base, both with a manual transmission. I would have not bought the new car had I not lost the other in a flood.

I liked the old car, I think the newer car is nicer to drive. The .2 feels so good when driving and the power comes on quick and I get accustomed to the performance of the car and I don't even realize how fast it is. The .1S would kick in after 3500 and it was a thrill. I would be indifferent about the .1 vs. .2 but not with the surge in price of the .1 - I would buy new or wait.

I would like to have the GT3 Touring Edition.

I think the turbo cars are fantastic.
The surge pricing is a reflection of the markets valuation of .1’s, now being the last of the N/A cars. So even getting a .1 at its current pricing, added to its highly likely mitigated depreciation going forward; if resale and losing as little money as possible (or even coming out positive, as many recent .1 buyers have) is the goal, then the .1 is a far smarter proposition than a more expensive .2, which will not only have more room to depreciate (as on average it costs- if slightly in some cases- more to buy) but without the same “last of” angle (which always benefits 911 resales, every time) will imo highly likely see itself at lower prices than .1’s in the future.

Point being, if value or pricing is the main motive for a shopper, then even with (or mostly *because of*) the .1’s surge pricing thanks to the free markets assessment (the most honest assessment you’ll get), it’s still a far better value proposition, imo.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I’m fine with that as long as there are separate bathrooms for the middle class so I don’t catch their germs.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
IÂ’m fine with that as long as there are separate bathrooms for the middle class so I donÂ’t catch their germs.
lol right?

I get wanting the knowledge and experience regarding a specific car. I wouldn’t take a GTR to the corner gas station most likely. But I’d take one to a Nissan dealership/mechanic no problem. Same for a Vette and Chevy dealer. That said, a good Indy is hard to beat. No move is worth that 😎
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

lol right?

I get wanting the knowledge and experience regarding a specific car. I wouldn €™t take a GTR to the corner gas station most likely. But I €™d take one to a Nissan dealership/mechanic no problem. Same for a Vette and Chevy dealer. That said, a good Indy is hard to beat. No move is worth that 😎
I had Vettes serviced at Chevy dealers for years with no problems. Sure, the waiting rooms weren't as nice but then again, oil changes weren't $300, either...find a dealer with a good Vette technician and you are set.

Not saying that the Porsche dealer experience isn't far better - it certainly is - but that comes with a cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?