Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Another one? Lol.

At least identical soundtrack characteristics, i.e lack of typical turbo sound and character homogenization. Same level of what I feel is a certain visceral emotion achieved by the N/A cars. Crescendo upper RPM vibe. Also, zero turbo lag.

More raw instead of more grown up and filtered. More raucous and quirky instead of more serene and soulless daily driver GT. More soul even if at the expense of statistical performance. Less focus on HP and torque (which I don’t really “need” more of) and more on experience (let me wind the car out and bang through gears whilst hearing sweet music without getting to stupid speeds, exploiting my car as it is is frustratingly hard to do responsibly). Not talking a race car here, the 991.1 is already very refined and the 911 DNA is inherently far more civil, livable and functional than any other sports car. I just don’t want them to put as much focus in furthering that aspect, at the expense of fun and personality.

All of that at the price point of a Carrera. Oh, and the same or less weight, not more.

That’s for a 911. For other cars, my points scale differs.

In the real world, I’m hopeful a Hybrid may be the best solution for both “camps.” A’la 918; give it an N/A to satisfy the sound/personality/responsiveness purists, and mega torque curve to satisfy the boost and all out performance enthusiasts.

Last edited by K-A; 11-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

So I have actually given this a lot of thought and the reality is that I will probably end up in a 992 Carrera (base, S, or GTS) as the new daily. I'm looking to buy a .2 GT3 and 87-89 G50 this next year. Those will become the "toys" while the 991.1 may sadly get replaced as the daily. I'm contemplating also keeping the .1S in addition to the 992 but I will have to wait and see.

Things that will make the "upgrade" easier:

1. A flat six that sounds like a flat six. I mentioned in a previous thread that Mercedes is doing FI right and got properly flamed for it What I meant was not that their motors are the best FI power plants in the industry but their twin turbo V8 simply sounds like a NA V8. Very little turbo noise or whistle.
2. Turbo lag. FI Carrera's have a nice bit of added tq but this comes as a trade off where throttle response is concerned.
3. Not a huge power jump over current gen 911's. My 991.1S is already almost too fast for the street and the 991.2 (even base) is almost unusable on my local roads. I want to be able to push my car without committing a felony. I realize this is an unrealistic ask of a company that needs to keep pushing the needle to sell cars but my hope is that the 992 won't be a soulless beast that isn't much fun between 30-70mph.

If Porsche can nail the sounds and throttle response in the 992, it will be a much easier transition for myself.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I loved my 996. I loved my 997. I love my 991. I am sure I’ll love a 992 at some point. It’s all good. I don’t care about .1 or .2 in any of them. I know my 991 is a TTS and not the intended audience of this thread, but I’d feel the same way if it was a NA car.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:04 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

For me, its more than just HP, torque & sound. I will be hard pressed (never say never) to ever own any Porsche that is not a GT car. There is not one singular attribute of the car that makes me say this. The GT car is like a well rehearsed symphony. The way it all plays together -- this is what binds the driver to the car and vice versa. I never felt "one" with either of my last two 991's. Great cars, but they lacked that which was needed to be permit me to be one with the cars. So, as of now there is nothing that will sway me embrace the 991.2 or the 992, unless they have the GT badge.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
For me, its more than just HP, torque & sound. I will be hard pressed (never say never) to ever own any Porsche that is not a GT car. There is not one singular attribute of the car that makes me say this. The GT car is like a well rehearsed symphony. The way it all plays together -- this is what binds the driver to the car and vice versa. I never felt "one" with either of my last two 991's. Great cars, but they lacked that which was needed to be permit me to be one with the cars. So, as of now there is nothing that will sway me embrace the 991.2 or the 992, unless they have the GT badge.
Spoken like a ninja master . . .
Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
By the way, I think this thread is more appropriately titled €œwhat do you wish to see in the 992 € as it €™s not just about €œconverting € 991.1 owners, but keeping us all engaged as cars get more digital.
Exactly, the ship has sailed on the 991.2 so Porsche will not do anything else to that variant. On to the 992.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

One thing I am not looking forward to is the shift towards touchscreen everything. I like tactile buttons to press. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to find a spot on a screen to press, pinch, or swipe.

I don't mind the screens to present information - I just want to keep my *****, dials, and buttons, too.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,189 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
One thing I am not looking forward to is the shift towards touchscreen everything. I like tactile buttons to press. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to find a spot on a screen to press, pinch, or swipe.
I'm surprised by this.

Given your affinity for PDK one would think you have all the time in the world to fiddle while driving...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by tse
I'm surprised by this.

Given your affinity for PDK one would think you have all the time in the world to fiddle while driving...
With PDK, my hands are still on the wheel....

It's PSP that allows me to autocross using only my pinkie finger, mind you.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m in for PDK but also wish there’s a conscious effort by Porsche to maintain as much analog feel with their cars, as possible. PSP is weird at best but the wife won’t le rme code it off.
Also hoping for analog gauges but not holding my breath.
Cars are turning into rolling video games and appropriately losing the driver connection and involvement.....
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't mind the screens to present information - I just want to keep my *****, dials, and buttons, too.
Werrd. Plus, the digital tachs meant to look like real tachs.... are just pixelated imitations of the real, iconic tachs.

I just have this bummed out feeling the 992 is gonna move further away from everything I want a 911 to be.

And as great as it drives, it’s not like I can switch over to the Cayman anymore, thanks to that turbo 4. Which means my Porsche’s of interest may very well remain within the used market.

Looking more and more going forward like (for new market) it’ll be GT[numerical] cars or bust. Which is extra “lovely” considering the more extinct N/A flat sixes go, the more massive interest whatever comes out with them generates, thus the more massive the markups, and the more massively they hold or increase in value. 991.2 GT3’s have literally outsold Carreras during Sept and Oct, WITH epic markups. While 991.1’s keep going up in value on the used market.

If that isn’t the market speaking, I don’t know what is. Question is, is Porsche listening. Or are they just in cruise control toward their clear new (GT) goal with the 911.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bemo
I €™m in for PDK but also wish there €™s a conscious effort by Porsche to maintain as much analog feel with their cars, as possible. PSP is weird at best but the wife won €™t le rme code it off.
Also hoping for analog gauges but not holding my breath.
Cars are turning into rolling video games and appropriately losing the driver connection and involvement.....
Nonsense, PSP gives the precise amount of boosted steering effort to fully optimize handling at parking lot speeds. It literally turns you into Patrick Long or Nick Tandy at under 25 miles an hour. You can do 5 point U-turns a full two seconds quicker with PSP - that is even quicker than the Mercedes AMG, according to Valet Parker Magazine. The National Parking Association, in the July 2017 edition of Parking Magazine, called PSP "the greatest automotive invention since the curb feeler." Facts don't lie.

Don't be this guy:

Be like these folks instead:

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Things change. It is like asking air cooled guys what will it take to embrace water cooled cars. I’ll withhold judgment until the 992 shows up. 991.2 is a very nice car but points the beginning of a new direction
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,189 Likes on 717 Posts

You've got me all wrong, I think PDK is the greatest transmission on the market.

Hell, as I've stated before, if it wasn't for PDK my mom wouldn't be driving a 911...
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by tse
You've got me all wrong, I think PDK is the greatest transmission on the market.

Hell, as I've stated before, if it wasn't for PDK my mom wouldn't be driving a 911...

Quick Reply: Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?