Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debunking "the engine is on the wrong side" ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
They did use warmers (rightly so) and the tires were MPSC2 N2 spec (e.g. latest iteration).

K-A you probably should take a 996GT3 round a track and then deliver your thoughts on engine placement and perhaps consider why Porsche extended the wheel base of the 991 and gifted RAS to the 991.2
I mean, the 911 was clobbering the competition far before the longer chassis and RAS. RAS sounds great, but I don’t need it to get a 911 to perform in a way that motivates me, nor was it needed on the countless 911’s that dominated before its release.

I’m sure a 996 GT3 is a handful (isn’t that part of the charm?) but so is a Carrera GT. I’ve heard people describe the 996 GT3 as the “perfect sports car” so I can only look forward to one day driving it around a track.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine has been in the "wrong spot" for over 50 years, Porsche seem to be doing fine.

While a mid engine car might be more balanced, technically correct, etc, there is nothing that feels like a 911 when getting a high speed turn right. Slow in, fast out and don't let off the gas, the car squats and grips like nothing else. To drive it fast, you simply have to drive it different than a mid or front engined car. Anyone that complains about the handling is simply driving it wrong- user error!

Quick Reply: Debunking "the engine is on the wrong side" ....