Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just for fun - What's it like to own a Porsche 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:26 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

What's it like to own one?
- You will look forward to every drive, no matter how long or short.
- You will want to make sure there is suitable parking at your destination
- If you are a responsible adult, you won't ever exceed the car's capabilities on the street.
- You'll hear a lot of noises- some great, some you won't like.
- You will obsess over keeping it shiny and not scraping the front spoiler
- You will wonder if that back spoiler is up or down on the highway
- You will hate putting it away- each and every time.
- You won't miss the money you spent on it once you drive it.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine is Guards red so I get looks/thumbs up everywhere I go . Funniest part is kids LOVE it. Must be in some animated film or something.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:43 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
You will get approached by creepy old white men.
Those are the ones that can afford the car. The creepy part is your problem.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I think it has a lot to do with the car's model & color. Our 997 is a Speed Yellow cab, so it garners a LOT more attention than our Night Blue Metallic 991 does. I had a guy turning at a traffic light stop in the middle of the intersection & whistle at me when I was in the cab earlier this year (first car in the line). It was the car he was whistling at, not me.

We had a Carmine Red Boxster earlier this year. That color garnered attention, too. Our 991 is a quieter color, so it doesn't get as much attention.

As far as what it's like to have one? A 911 has always been my dream car, so it's a thrill to have one & it's everything I imagined it to be. It's responsive & so much fun to drive. I have a hard time keeping this stupid grin off my face every time I get behind its wheel.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
What's it like to own one?
- You will look forward to every drive, no matter how long or short.
- You will want to make sure there is suitable parking at your destination
- If you are a responsible adult, you won't ever exceed the car's capabilities on the street.
- You'll hear a lot of noises- some great, some you won't like.
- You will obsess over keeping it shiny and not scraping the front spoiler
- You will wonder if that back spoiler is up or down on the highway
- You will hate putting it away- each and every time.
- You won't miss the money you spent on it once you drive it.
Hope that helps a bit.
Very nice points. I completely agree except for the part about putting it away. I bought a 4s and it now has its winter wheels and tires. I plan to drive it all year but it is my second car. I have an SUV for really bad weather. I could not stand putting my Boxster away for 5 months of the year so traded it and got a 2018 C4S with the lovely MT.

And this is just me. I bought a dark blue car and it does not have the SE. I don't like drawing attention.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In the middle of Iowa where few Porsche's are seen on the road, I still only get an occasional notice. Unless you order a real bright color or have a wing and big decals, most 911's tend to fly under the radar a bit which can save on speeding tickets.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I got more attention in my Toyota Supra Turbo than in my C4S, but I did get some in the C4S. For example, I was stopped at a light with the top down, and a guy driving an older BMW convertible stopped beside me and immediately declared how much he loves Porsches.

In both cases, when I did get attention, it was always from guys. Women did not care, near as I could tell. For some reason almost everyone who saw the Supra asked if were for sale. Never had anyone ask that question about the 911. It may have been that the young guys asking about the Supra imagined they might possibly afford it, and didn't think they could afford the 911.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:16 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
I plan to purchase a 4S or GTS within the next 6 months. This will be my first Porsche!

Does a 911 get a lot of attention as a daily driver?
People young and old come up and spark up questions?
Share some insight on what it's like to own such a nice and expensive car.
Who cares, buy what you want and will enjoy driving. Lava Orange GT3rs and black turbo are similar performance in different ways and will attract differently.
If it's your first, you'll want another one that's faster so buy the best fastest one you'll drive regularly.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Idea to acquire a 911.

I would say that the 911 flies pretty well under the radar for the most part, but yes people will notice the car even if they don’t comment on it or talk to you. The people who talk to you are generally enthusiasts exclusively all men and/or young kids in my experience. Few non car people do admire the car. Like others have said I think the color plays a role in regards to the level of attention. My car is black on black with all black accents, so it doesn’t stand out too much. Now previously in the R8, that was a completely different story, being followed, filmed, talked to and photographed all the time. It was nice to a point but occasionally a bit too much. Always positive, with about 50% young female admirers!

Enjoy your new car.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Owning a 993 is a pain into he butt. Build quality not good, it's a losing battle.

Owning a 997 base Cab was awesome. Got it at a good price when economy tanked. Drove it hard, loved to hear the motor sing. People loved it too.

Owning a 997 GTS Cab....cared about it too much. Didn't want to drive it in bad weather. DFI motor was chattery. Didn't drive it enough, and then a lady in a Subaru sideswiped me on the highway. Car was never the same. Overall, not as good an experience as the 997.1 base Cab.

Get much more positive attention in my 14 Shelby and 981 Spyder. I think people assume you're kind of a wealthy jerk in a 911.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
I plan to purchase a 4S or GTS within the next 6 months. This will be my first Porsche!

Does a 911 get a lot of attention as a daily driver?
People young and old come up and spark up questions?
Share some insight on what it's like to own such a nice and expensive car.
Attention is minimal, mostly from kids, fellow enthusiasts. Few questions. Not a lot of Porsches in our neck of the woods, & mine is Guards Red. That's OK, though, I love driving it, and still invent reasons to run unnecessarily long errands. I still check the weekly forecast on Sunday to figure out what might be the best day to rearrange my schedule to drive it. 50 miles for a screw from Home Depot? Yep. Going out for gasoline and coming back with less than I started with? Been there, done that. Owning a Porsche 911 is all I thought and more...T
Old 11-13-2017, 07:24 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Lets see.

Chicks don't notice until they read that its a Porch on it. You can say "they have been making the 911 for 50 years." They will say "Wow - you really took nice care of it."

30's Ladies will say something like "it is so little." "My Mom had a VW bug too."

You will be noticed by Corvette drivers who take a good note. You will soon be able to tell a C7 Z06 from the rear and side angles and the acceleration sound and tire smoke smell.

Dodge Ram drivers normally notice by inserting the Ram on the front into your rearview mirror at point blank range to your rear bumper.

Hyundai and KIA or VW drivers notice and want to race you or at least take pictures passing you to post on BookFace or SpaceTime or whatever that they outran a Porch today too.

Soon you will want an S. If you have an S, you will want a 911R. If you have a 911R Porsche people will hate you straightaway for driving it and despise you for being a poseur and not driving it. Get a Ferrari instead.

There's more - but that ought to get you started.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get more compliments on my bright blue M3 than I do on my white GT3. People are attracted to bright colors.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Owning a 911 is fun and obsessive.
I don't like the addiction at all but can't help it. I have to drive the car at least once every few days or risk getting severe withdrawal symptoms.
Keeping the Racing Yellow clean is a fascinating process. It's turning into quite the hobby, even with full XPEL and Ceramic Pro
Folks love the color...
I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
The best part: the deep bark and growling of the sports exhaust, reminiscent of a predator on the prowl. Ready to unleash devastation with a simple tap of the right foot.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I just got a new 2017 1299S Panigale Ducati as a stablemate to the 911, now that draws attention. Had a cycle cop give me a thumbs up on it, so that was nice of him. The C4S draws some attention and every now and then I'll pass a young kid of about 10 or so, and I see the same glean in his eyes that I had growing up and wanting one too. Porsche hooked another one. I just hope that when they get old enough to drive the 911 is not some electric appliance.

Quick Reply: Just for fun - What's it like to own a Porsche 911?