Sponsored by:

Buying 991.1 GTS without SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying 991.1 GTS without SPASM

I've been in the market for a 991.1 GTS and finally found one with the right color ext. interior and most options EXCEPT SPASM! I had a '13 C2S and really regretted not getting SPASM main due to ride height. Couldn't stand the wheel gap. When I look at GTS pics, they seem lower for some reason, at least in the pics. My question is:

1) is the wheel gap same on C2S and GTS without SPASM?

2) does this affect resale as most GTS in the market seem to have SPASM?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

1) Yes
2) IDTS. No.

You can always go aftermarket, and get a drop.

A base 991 is at 0 mm.
A 991 with PASM is 10 mm lower.
A 991 with SPASM in 10 mm lower than PASM (20 mm total lower than base).
A 991 GT3 is 10 mm lower than a SPASM car (30 mm total lower than base).

Last edited by LexVan; 11-10-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Tough call. I ordered with SPASM, never regretted it, loved the lowered look.

But finding exactly the right car on the secondary market isn't at all easy. So as Lex points out, if everything else is right for you, changing to aftermarket coils isn't particularly cheap or without some potential problems of its own, but it's still cheaper than a respray to the color you really want, removing the sunroof and welding closed the hole, cutting a new hole and installing a sunroof, swapping PDK for manual or vice-versa, reuphostering the black interior in red, turning a cab into a coupe, or adding a front diff and driveline to a C2GTS.

Even when you order you don't always get exactly what you want.

I never liked black wheels, but wanted the centerlocks that were baked into the GTS's price. I tried to live with them but wound up having them repainted GT Silver and loved them.

I ordered with Porsche Steering Plus on advice of my trusted SA. Really didn't like the lighter feel at parking lot speeds. Fortunately one hour of labor to reprogram was all that took to correct.

I ordered with PDK thinking I would like it. After two years I finally admitted that it's a fabulous gearbox that does every single thing better than a manual... except make me enjoy it for street driving. No fixing that...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:53 AM
smporsche
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep looking as SPASM on a GTS is part of the super cool look. I also wouldn't mess with the factory suspension unless it was supervised by Preuninger
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

PASM on a GTS just looks wrong. My bet is that it would drive you nuts over time.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

PASM without the “S”PASM is a wicked good suspension set up. It’s all nonsense that you’d need to worry about the adequacy of the handling characteristics of the vehicle without “S”PASM. Rear axle steering is much more consequential for handling. You can track a 991.2 with regular PASM as hard as hell and it will blow your mind how well the car handles.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
PASM without the “S”PASM is a wicked good suspension set up. It’s all nonsense that you’d need to worry about the adequacy of the handling characteristics of the vehicle without “S”PASM. Rear axle steering is much more consequential for handling. You can track a 991.2 with regular PASM as hard as hell and it will blow your mind how well the car handles.

Exactly,...non-SPASM is a fantastic setup and you don't have to worry as much about crawling over bumps, pulling into driveways, pulling onto streets with large indentations, etc. The sport design front of the 991.1 GTS is already low enough and although it is replaceable it is a "painted" piece not like the easily replaceable black lip of the non-GTS 991.1's or the 991.2 GTSs

99.9% of the people out there won't even get close to using the potential of either setup. I certainly wouldn't pass on an otherwise perfect car due to the lack of it.

I didn't order it on my 991.1 GTS and don't regret it one bit. It won't hurt resale at all, there are plenty of buyers of either setup. It's a 991.1 GTS so it will pretty much always be in demand.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't think OP is really worried about any handling difference.

"...really regretted not getting SPASM mainly due to ride height. Couldn't stand the wheel gap. "

Sounds like it's a reaction to the visual difference. And I agree with him.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

PASM is awesome, if you don't care about the stance of the car. If all one cares about is the compliance of the suspension and it's ability to perform sportingly or with comfort, PASM is the way to go. But if stance matters, SPASM is the way to go.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SPASM vs. PASM experience...

In my first 911 search, I test drove a 14 C2S PASM at the dealer. That's the car that sold me on a 991 S w PSE. However it had tan interior so I searched and ended up buying out of state. The handling and DD comfort balance sold me on the car.

Bought a C4S out of state sight unseen. On my first drive it felt "lowered" and a bit bumpier than the C2S I drove. Very tight but not like the C2S I thought maybe it was aftermarket. Not nearly as smooth and compliant. It hit me in the middle of the night.... oh crap ... checked the sticker and it had SPASM. Went on rennlist... WTF is Sport PASM??? LOL. Lesson learned.

So for me the PRO - car looked awesome lowered from the factory. Handled very "flat". not harsh or rough.

But I couldn't live with it in a DD.

So in my search to replace the C4S I came across an excellent 991.1 GTS with NO SPASM. Which was my "unicorn" ha ha... while it wasnt a manual, but PDK. I got a sweet deal and get to enjoy the car as a DD.

So long story short: I was seeking a non SPASM car, even if I'm in the minority. I doubt it will hurt resale, especially if you trade the car in.

PASM is still a joy on the backroad driving.

You should also check: My understanding is the 991.1 GTS suspension is slightly more aggressive than a .1 C2S. I can say in my test drives. my GTS is more aggressive and not as "smooth" as the C2S I drove. So the GTS PASM sits somewhere between GTS w SPASM and a C2S. I'm super pleased with the balance. Go drive a 991.2. That suspension is so smooth and refined. I would probably be fine w SPASM on a 991.2, its just slightly too much for me on the 991.1.

P.S. I bought and tried a DSC module when I had SPASM hoping it would soften it up a bit. It was a great improvement in fast driving, but not around town.

I kept it, put it in the 991.1 GTS. The PASM + DSC is just awesome for back road driving.

Ideally you would go test drive both, but that's not likely to happen. Hopefully these experiences help you out. Good luck!

Last edited by mrmojom3; 11-10-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

SPASM would suck for places like SF but if you have at least decent roads in your area it’s fine as long as you think ahead and use a little strategery if you’re going into a parking lot with sharp transitions or something.

The 911 sits so high already compared to other sportsing vehicles, I don’t think I’d be happy with one without SPASM. And aftermarket adjustments to the suspension hardware are unlikely to produce a setup that’s more capable in such a wide range of situations as stock. If I changed anything it would be software only with DSC.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I. test drove a .1 S without SPASM and ended up getting a .1 GTS with.
Honestly I would be happy with either.
If the choice was a SPASM-less .1 GTS or something else, the choice would be clear
A .1 GTS all day long!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

From my view it is an easy fix, get the PASM car and add a set of lowering springs. Done and done.

For the record my car came with SPASM and I ended up going lower via the KW HAS kit. No regrets, the stance + setup is perfect.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:50 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

PASM when I drove daily. More clearance. Now that I drive it less, have lowered via techart & very happy.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:30 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
My SPASM vs. PASM experience...

In my first 911 search, I test drove a 14 C2S PASM at the dealer. That's the car that sold me on a 991 S w PSE. However it had tan interior so I searched and ended up buying out of state. The handling and DD comfort balance sold me on the car.

Bought a C4S out of state sight unseen. On my first drive it felt "lowered" and a bit bumpier than the C2S I drove. Very tight but not like the C2S I thought maybe it was aftermarket. Not nearly as smooth and compliant. It hit me in the middle of the night.... oh crap ... checked the sticker and it had SPASM. Went on rennlist... WTF is Sport PASM??? LOL. Lesson learned.

So for me the PRO - car looked awesome lowered from the factory. Handled very "flat". not harsh or rough.

But I couldn't live with it in a DD.

So in my search to replace the C4S I came across an excellent 991.1 GTS with NO SPASM. Which was my "unicorn" ha ha... while it wasnt a manual, but PDK. I got a sweet deal and get to enjoy the car as a DD.

So long story short: I was seeking a non SPASM car, even if I'm in the minority. I doubt it will hurt resale, especially if you trade the car in.

PASM is still a joy on the backroad driving.

You should also check: My understanding is the 991.1 GTS suspension is slightly more aggressive than a .1 C2S. I can say in my test drives. my GTS is more aggressive and not as "smooth" as the C2S I drove. So the GTS PASM sits somewhere between GTS w SPASM and a C2S. I'm super pleased with the balance. Go drive a 991.2. That suspension is so smooth and refined. I would probably be fine w SPASM on a 991.2, its just slightly too much for me on the 991.1.

P.S. I bought and tried a DSC module when I had SPASM hoping it would soften it up a bit. It was a great improvement in fast driving, but not around town.

I kept it, put it in the 991.1 GTS. The PASM + DSC is just awesome for back road driving.

Ideally you would go test drive both, but that's not likely to happen. Hopefully these experiences help you out. Good luck!
That’s great you finally ended up with the right car Mr Mojo!! A real cautionary tale for all those out there looking for guidance on SPASM vs PASM. I couldn’t be happier with the PASM setup on my 991.2 GTS. Anyone who says the stance looks better with SPASM is correct but for me, the SPASM is not worth a choppier ride. My GTS handles the bumps better than my daily driver, a ‘17 E43 Benz. And I only notice the additional 10mm’s if I’m parked next to a SPASM car.

Zero regret checking the SPASM delete box on my build but I also live in NY, Tri-State where the roads are horrendous.

Quick Reply: Buying 991.1 GTS without SPASM