Sponsored by:

991 w/ X51 Powerkit as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Could have happened in any car. So you suggest I shouldn't take it out to drive five minutes away to pick up dinner?

You can keep yours hermetically sealed in bubble wrap, that's fine, but I don't buy cars to put on a rotating pedestal as a museum piece in your life sized curio cabinet. Life happens.
I envy those of you that can daily drive these and just replace when they wear out.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I envy those of you that can daily drive these and just replace when they wear out.
It's a Porsche. How many high mile examples of 991's have we seen? A LOT! Have yet to see one that was "worn out." Even with track usage, consumables can be replaced.

And accidents, although rare, can happen - that's why we carry insurance.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:12 AM
hopetogolf
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all.

I do plan to run the car on weekends with longish drives twice a month or so. It sounds like my issue here will not be mechanical but depreciation due to mileage but that’s just math. That is good to know.

I’ll keep kicking this decision around while looking at the market.

helpmehelpu - if you have an ad or information you want to send me, please PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by hopetogolf
Thanks all.

I do plan to run the car on weekends with longish drives twice a month or so. It sounds like my issue here will not be mechanical but depreciation due to mileage but that’s just math. That is good to know.

I’ll keep kicking this decision around while looking at the market.

helpmehelpu - if you have an ad or information you want to send me, please PM.

Not able to PM you...I suspect you need more posts (but not certain of rules). If you can PM me, please send your email address.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I have used all of the Porsches I have owned as daily drivers. I also drove my 97 993, 2000 Boxster S, and 2002 C4S in the winter in Ohio. I put good Continental all-season tires on rather than pure winter tires. You don't have to worry as much about the timing of putting them on and taking them off. You might consider them.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess what I do...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 PM
hopetogolf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Not able to PM you...I suspect you need more posts (but not certain of rules). If you can PM me, please send your email address.
I placed my email address in your messages (in your profile)...doesn’t seem like PM is an option.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 PM
hopetogolf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Guess what I do...
Well Done! Nice avatar.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

OP....Let me know if you're interested in a 991 C4S with an X51 Powerkit (and PDCC, PDK, and tons of leather), as I have one I am contemplating selling. As you may know, 991s with X51 are extremely rare. Once I asked a dealer and he thought fewer than one percent of (non-GTS) 991s have X51 Powerkits.

Your car is awesome.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Hello all...long time lurker.

Assume you have a short in-town commute over not so great but not horrible roads. Would you consider a used 991 with X51 as a daily driver? The car will probably not be tracked but may autocross once or twice a year. It would probably get 10k miles a year on the dial. This car will also be driven in the rain and mid-Atlantic snow (assuming I can make this work if I buy snow tires). I would probably keep the car for a long time with an assumption that it could be my last car with an internal combustion engine.

Yes the car will not be utilized to its potential but would I be hurting the engine/mechanical parts and destroying the value by driving it this way?

For the record, I am thinking about a number of different cars for my next purchase including potentially a Cayman. That said, I saw the above for sale and it looks very interesting, albeit a lot of car and probably blowing tens of thousands of dollars (vs. the alternatives) but getting myself into a car that will be fun and on “my list” since I was a kid. Frankly, my head is telling me buying this car is pretty stupid unless I’m comfortable taking the money and essentially setting it on fire since most of the seat time will be spent at slow speeds and not really “enjoying” the car.

There is so much to think about with this purchase, it can drive someone to drink. I’m getting close to saying YOLO on this one.
I daily drove my .1s and daily my .2 GTS. My commute is 10 minutes. YOLO.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 PM
hopetogolf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
I daily drove my .1s and daily my .2 GTS. My commute is 10 minutes. YOLO.
How many miles did you put on the vehicles? Did you make it a point to drive them hard on weekends?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:00 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

How many miles did you put on the vehicles? Did you make it a point to drive them hard on weekends?
I drive them 4-5k per year.

Yes. I take longer trips on the weekends and they usually involve canyon carving and mountain passes. I probably accumulate more miles driving weekends than commuting during the week.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:33 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6-7k /year, and maybe 4-5k on the 356. No worries about either., perfectly suitable.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

More power is always more fun...X51 is a great option
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

I DD my 15 GTS. I work from home 3 days a week, other 2 are mixed local driving.

OP: having a car like this, you will find excuses and reasons to go drive it. The upside is that when you put miles on it, they are "fun" miles. Not driving thousands of miles wasted in a commute. I also take the "long" way to the office, especially on nice days.

Your resale should be decent 5-6k miles per year.

I say go for it. Check it off your bucket list. Worse case is you sell it.

Quick Reply: 991 w/ X51 Powerkit as a daily driver?