Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldilocks 911 T just right?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldilocks 911 T just right?

Everyone knows the Goldilocks story one thing is too hot one is too cold and one is just right.

I was thinking about the 911 reading only have not driven one recently. In the past I’ve driven a 997 Turbo and GT3 for short drives on public roads.

IMO the GT3 has the best advantage of being a natural aspirated engine with super high redline. That’s the big selling point. I’ve been in lust of high rev engines having owned S2000 and E90 M3 combined ownership of 12 years. Both were NA with high revs up to 8-9K redline.

The GT3 would be disadvantaged to me by its high price and it’s rear wing (but now with the option touring package that is really my dream car).

Still the high price of the GT3 and the idea that it’s limits are so high for public roads.

I’d like most any Carrera base, S, GTS, Turbo all have advantages but to me raw power and outright speed are actually a disadvantage where I drive on public roads. The M3 had almost twice the power of the S2000 but the actual driving speeds (speed limit, safety and ability to drive a certain speed was the same). So in other words I could own a Bugatti or a S2000 and the A-B drive would not be much different.

When I had my S2000 had a look at a Z06 that was twice the power to weight and felt that was also twice the scare factor not twice the fun factor.

I was thinking 911 T might be the best of both worlds, enough power to keep up with traffic lol but not too much for my middle age body.

Still not cheap, but can be had for a lot less than a GT3, not sure if I would get the bucket seats with rear seat delete but that is one advantage since it looks extra cool without a rear seat.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

my favorite FACTORY-ordered 911T " sportier 'experience ' even at modest road pace " features not even avail on non-GTx 991/981 models : optional LWBS w rear seat delete , std lower gear ratios , std reduced sound deadening ( usually strongly glued inside very hard to access locations )

plus std " -20 mm " S-PASM and PTV with optional RAS ( none of these avail on base car )
Old 11-08-2017, 11:11 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by rai

Still the high price of the GT3 and the idea that it’s limits are so high for public roads.

I’d like most any Carrera base, S, GTS, Turbo all have advantages but to me raw power and outright speed are actually a disadvantage where I drive on public roads. The M3 had almost twice the power of the S2000 but the actual driving speeds (speed limit, safety and ability to drive a certain speed was the same). So in other words I could own a Bugatti or a S2000 and the A-B drive would not be much different.

When I had my S2000 had a look at a Z06 that was twice the power to weight and felt that was also twice the scare factor not twice the fun factor.

I was thinking 911 T might be the best of both worlds, enough power to keep up with traffic lol but not too much for my middle age body.

Still not cheap, but can be had for a lot less than a GT3, not sure if I would get the bucket seats with rear seat delete but that is one advantage since it looks extra cool without a rear seat.
Agree. Especially the bolded part.

Originally Posted by MKW
my favorite FACTORY-ordered 911T " sportier 'experience ' even at modest road pace " features not even avail on non-GTx 991/981 models : optional LWBS w rear seat delete , std lower gear ratios , std reduced sound deadening ( usually strongly glued in in very hard to access locations )

plus std SPASM and avail RWS ( neither even an avail option on base car )
Don't forget that PTV is now standard also in the 911T. It wasn't even available as an option on the Base C2.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM
rai
Instructor

I like the shorter gearing, that’s one thing I appreciate for a MT car that I can shift more often don’t need 70 mph in second gear. Do we know how much shorter the gearing is?

I like both MT and PDK and could go either way but most people say MT is the way to go for pure fun even if it may be slower.

One other thing that was a slight demerit against the GT3 is the center lock wheels, yes they look nice but seem to be a PITA to change.

Regarding raw power and higher limit of grip that’s a big deal because I’d like to get closer to the limit without going bonkers past the posted speed limits.

Also I’m unlikely to ever track my car so I’m looking for something that has potential and looks the part but won’t be used on the track.

Last edited by rai; 11-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what you say

the 911T will be Perfect for you

dont look any further

just check the S, in case price diference is not considerable
Old 11-08-2017, 12:18 PM
rai
Instructor

One question, say on other country press releases you could add back the infotainment system but I don’t see this on the US configuration tool.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To complete my reply

you wont need the extra power of the S on the street, or the extra braking power

so the T is the one for you
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
One question, say on other country press releases you could add back the infotainment system but I don’t see this on the US configuration tool.
the infotainment cannot be deleted in the US because of 2018 regulations requiring backup camera, hence no option to "add it back". just steer clear of adding Bose option if you are concerned about weight, as Bose adds approx 20lbs
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM
rai
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
the infotainment cannot be deleted in the US because of 2018 regulations requiring backup camera, hence no option to "add it back". just steer clear of adding Bose option if you are concerned about weight, as Bose adds approx 20lbs
I actually want the infotainment system but looks missing on the configurator.m

Interesting if you want the rear wiper it replaces the lightweight rear glass.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:14 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I actually want the infotainment system but looks missing on the configurator.m

Interesting if you want the rear wiper it replaces the lightweight rear glass.
if you open it in the 3D viewer it should be there. I believe they just made a mistake on the default image
Old 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

The 911T is a step in the right direction. I'm actually holding out hope that Porsche releases an even more basics car without all the techno whiz bang stuff. My biggest worry about the 991.2 and beyond is that they are loaded with technology that can/will break in the future. Doesn't mean you will own the car at that time but RWS, PTV, PDCC, Front Lift, etc will all cost a lot of money to fix when out of warranty. Even something like Carplay will be pain in the butt 5 years from now. Will the hardware be obsolete and thus carplay won't be able to be upgraded. These aren't issues that 993, 964 or earlier 911 owners have to think/worry about. Even 997 owners have a limited set of these to think about. All the stuff that makes the car more precise, faster and safer all comes with the caveat that when it breaks you pay...A LOT.

Ideally I'd like Porsche to release a new 912 that might have less power but also less "Stuff". There's only so much power you can use on public roads. Give me a good engine, solid 6 speed manual, 4 way manual seats with leather everything and only the very basics of technology. I think the 911T is a step in the right direction.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Ideally I'd like Porsche to release a new 912 that might have less power but also less "Stuff". There's only so much power you can use on public roads. Give me a good engine, solid 6 speed manual, 4 way manual seats with leather everything and only the very basics of technology. I think the 911T is a step in the right direction.
We'd all love that, but Porsche wouldn't make much money doing that. They make way more money convincing buyers that urine yellow is an awesome color they should pay thousands extra for and that a leather wrapped steering column is the shizzle. Porsche is in the business of making money and they make way more of it selling bloated clown cars and overpriced SUVs than raw sports cars.

I do wish they had at least put the 6 speed in the T though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goldilocks 911 T just right?