Why did you choose a 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:24 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why did you choose a 4S?

Hello community,

What were the primary reasons you chose to pay more for a 4S?

I am in the middle of my research on options and pricing. Hopefully I will be putting a substantial amount of money down for my first 911.
I can't decide on a nicely optioned S or spend more on a wide body 4S with the center brake light.

This will help me decide between a 4GTS and a GTS as well if finances work out. :-)

Is it mostly aesthetics?
Is the handling and performance noticeable?
Is it less of a purist 911 if it's not RWD?

Any thoughts and insights appreciated as I make my final decisions.

Thanks!

Last edited by ducstar; 11-04-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

how do you intend to use the car?
What sort of climate do you live in?
Will you drive it year round?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

For me:

1) Widebody
2) All weather advantage. I lease my cars and put winter tires on so this is key for me.
3) Handling and permformance

Not necessarily in that order.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:32 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
how do you intend to use the car?
What sort of climate do you live in?
Will you drive it year round?
I live in mild Northern California. I will be driving it mostly on the weekends. Not tracking. Definitely not in the snow if I can help it. I'd like to keep the paint as nice as possible.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael_s
For me:

1) Widebody
2) All weather advantage. I lease my cars and put winter tires on so this is key for me.

Is the 4S a bit safer in in climate weather? I'm not trying to drive fast in the rain or anything. It's just added peace of mind?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
For me:

1) Widebody

+1
Old 11-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Pinger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada - so I feel I can speak with some insight on the relative difference between the S and 4S in inclement weather (snow, ice). I used to drive a 4S (2014), but now have a 991.2 S (2017). The handling and traction was better with the 4S in the winter, no question. Probably one of the best I've driven in the winter, despite its low profile (some scraping with ice and snow ruts). However, I find the S to be more fun. Sure, the back end can swing out on occasion, but traction control is so good on the S, I don't feel as though I'm giving up much in terms of handling.

The 4S is more planted given AWD and the wider back end, but I find the S to be more fun in the summer months. I know some prefer the wider profile aesthetically, but I find both body shapes uniquely beautiful - that's simply a matter of personal preference.

So from my perspective, the 4S isn't worth the extra money new (used is another story); though wouldn't kick it out of my bed for eating crackers.

Regarding the "purist" argument, I don't pay much attention to that. Whether some aren't partial to the narrow S versus the wider 4S, or don't like the 991.2 generally because it's not naturally aspirated - doesn't matter. My advice would be to just go for what appeals to you.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pinger
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada - so I feel I can speak with some insight on the relative difference between the S and 4S in inclement weather (snow, ice). I used to drive a 4S (2014), but now have a 991.2 S (2017). The handling and traction was better with the 4S in the winter, no question. Probably one of the best I've driven in the winter, despite its low profile (some scraping with ice and snow ruts). However, I find the S to be more fun. Sure, the back end can swing out on occasion, but traction control is so good on the S, I don't feel as though I'm giving up much in terms of handling.

The 4S is more planted given AWD and the wider back end, but I find the S to be more fun in the summer months. I know some prefer the wider profile aesthetically, but I find both body shapes uniquely beautiful - that's simply a matter of personal preference.

So from my perspective, the 4S isn't worth the extra money new (used is another story); though wouldn't kick it out of my bed for eating crackers.

Regarding the "purist" argument, I don't pay much attention to that. Whether some aren't partial to the narrow S versus the wider 4S, or don't like the 991.2 generally because it's not naturally aspirated - doesn't matter. My advice would be to just go for what appeals to you.
Great insight. thank you! decisions, decisions...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
I live in mild Northern California. I will be driving it mostly on the weekends. Not tracking. Definitely not in the snow if I can help it. I'd like to keep the paint as nice as possible.

Congrats! You really can't go wrong.

The 4/4S look nice, and offer a real performance advantage (even in the dry, but especially in inclement weather) due to their increased traction. Offsets include more weight, complexity, maintenance (longterm), greater width (unless you get a 2 GTS), less "purity" (personal philosophy and decision).

Given your location and intended use, I'd recommend the 2/2S. We don't get enough nasty weather to require AWD in a 911, and that's especially true if you aren't planning to drive it up to the snow country. Even then, RWD with an engine out back are quite effective in the snow...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Great insight. thank you! decisions, decisions...
Awesome. thanks! decisions, decisions...

Maybe I can get a more optioned S then. hmmm.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

My C4S is a daily driver and not one that only comes out in nice weather or just on the track. I drive it in the rain (and even in the (rare) light snow that we might see tonight around Seattle).

These new-fangled turbo Carreras have a lot of low-end torque. I've hit the throttle a bit too hard especially going uphill on wet roads (in Seattle there are a lot of both) and can easily get the rear wheels to break loose. The power delivered to the front wheels helps pull the car back in line (and of course the nannies that sometimes kick in and help me out when I drive like a moron).

I'm never getting a RWD 911. I don't intend to disrespect to any other 911 owners - because to each his own, of course.

Yeah, I guess there is that nice light bar and ever so slightly wider hips, I suppose, but I don't see my own car from the back when I'm in the driver's seat. That wasn't a significant factor for me.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Awesome. thanks! decisions, decisions...

Maybe I can get a more optioned S then. hmmm.
Obviously we are all going to have a lot opinions on this point - many different and conflicting opinions. Here is mine:

If your car is only a weekend car, you don't need AWD. A RWD 911 with all that weight over the drive wheels and winter tires; your car will be just fine in any snow. Your problem would be clearance only. If it is a non-track car, you don't need anything more than a base engine with the 991.2. The base is fast as hell. Go drive one. The S is good for prestige, track etc. I wont discount either as I bought a 911 for the former.

I got a C4 purely for the wider body (I recall it is about one inch wider which is one expensive inch - $7k). I didn't even want the AWD....but those hips!

Is it mostly aesthetics? Yes, in my opinion.

Is the handling and performance noticeable? Only if you are a professional driver. Since you are not tracking the car, you wont be able to tell the difference between a AWD and RWD 911 with the exception of hard driving in the rain or occasional snow - but are you really performance driving the car under these conditions anyway? You wont get any where near the car's limits to tell the difference.

Is it less of a purist 911 if it's not RWD? Yes. But does that matter? If it matters to you, then go with RWD.

Reading what you are writing, I think the GTS is the car for you. Wide body, RWD, handles great. It's also at the top of the Carrera lineup.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:37 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL GTS are widebody

so you will get the widebody on the rwd and on the awd

you really wont make a bad choice with any of them

if it is your first p-car

i will go 4GTS

it is very fun to drive, and a little more forgiving
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GTS rwd on order. Have had a 09C4S, 15 Turbo S both AWD
GT3, GT4 , Boxster wife’s.
In winter and around Seattle my DD is Honda CRV AWD 2017. Weather and inattentive drivers.
Wife’s DD Is 06 Lexus rx400h. p cars are for track and weekend driving but >35 degrees.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:12 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sure footedness that I feel when driving my 4S. I call it my all weather fighter, my Land Cruiser is my all weather transport.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose a 4S?