991.2 GTS picture thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

$142k on MSRP of $160k

Originally Posted by basic666
dang was this the one from carlsen? How much is the dealer invoice on a GTS if u don't mind?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

11.25% discount is unheard of.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
$142k on MSRP of $160k
Thats a super deal! How many miles were on the car when you got it?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

jnolan, could you please provide a few more details on the terms of your purchase.

your purchase is well outside of the normally extended discount for regular customers for a given dealer and sales advisor.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

On Sunday I went over to Fremont to look at a GTS with 1k miles on it, the MSRP on that car was $142k and the dealer was asking $139k, which for a pre-owned car is totally unreasonable. On my way home I swung into Carlsen and they had this car on the showroom floor on a markdown for $144k from the sticker MSRP of $160k. 2017 model, 18 miles on the odometer. I bought the car on Monday after Porsche Fremont txted me back offering to take just $5k off the agate grey car... as I was sitting in the chair negotiating a few more dollars off Carlsen’s sale price. Porsche dealer margin is 14% on new vehicles so it is within the margin for them, and let’s face it, when the 2018 models fill the lot the ability to sell 2017 models for anything above invoice gets really challenging. The last thing dealers want it last years model on the lot, it doesn’t matter whether it is Porsche or Toyota. I want to correct one mistake I made on the purchase price, I paid $143k for the car (fat finger on my ipad).

I am a serial car buyer and will be the first to admit that I’m not always as sensitive about pricing as I should be, but I’m also not emotional about it. A car is a basket of parts that is a depreciating asset the minute it leaves the factory. There are exceptions, of course, like limited edition cars and models that you have to get an allocation for, but unless there is a good reason I am never going to pay MSRP. I like to buy cars at this time of the year because dealers are acutely aware of the declining value of their inventory that is now last years model. If Porsche Fremont had priced that pre-owned 2017 correctly, I would have bought it and never even bothered to stop at Carlsen, and if they had come in at closer to $130k on Monday I would have left Carlsen with the graphite blue car unsold (my friend was going to buy it if I didn’t so it would have sold on Monday after my first dibs on it expired). As it happens, I’m actually really happy that I got the graphite blue car because the option package is really well thought out and I do like the color.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Well congrats jnolan. I think the deal you got is fantastic
Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Seems that your timing couldn’t have been better.

I negotiated 4% off of MSRP on a 2018 ordered to my specs. I have been reflecting on this and in retrospect feel that I could’ve done much better. Especially considering that this GTS will be a placeholder for another car to come.

Sounds like I should have another chat with the dealer.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Seems that your timing couldn’t have been better.

I negotiated 4% off of MSRP on a 2018 ordered to my specs. I have been reflecting on this and in retrospect feel that I could’ve done much better. Especially considering that this GTS will be a placeholder for another car to come.

Sounds like I should have another chat with the dealer.
like you said, jnolan got in at a great time. Also it was a showroom car sitting on the lot. Its an entire different story for an allocation that you're speccing out yourself. I mean the dealer already took off majority of the price without any negotiation. Saw the car in person a few weeks back, good deal!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan
On Sunday I went over to Fremont to look at a GTS with 1k miles on it, the MSRP on that car was $142k and the dealer was asking $139k, which for a pre-owned car is totally unreasonable. On my way home I swung into Carlsen and they had this car on the showroom floor on a markdown for $144k from the sticker MSRP of $160k. 2017 model, 18 miles on the odometer. I bought the car on Monday after Porsche Fremont txted me back offering to take just $5k off the agate grey car... as I was sitting in the chair negotiating a few more dollars off Carlsen’s sale price. Porsche dealer margin is 14% on new vehicles so it is within the margin for them, and let’s face it, when the 2018 models fill the lot the ability to sell 2017 models for anything above invoice gets really challenging. The last thing dealers want it last years model on the lot, it doesn’t matter whether it is Porsche or Toyota. I want to correct one mistake I made on the purchase price, I paid $143k for the car (fat finger on my ipad).

I am a serial car buyer and will be the first to admit that I’m not always as sensitive about pricing as I should be, but I’m also not emotional about it. A car is a basket of parts that is a depreciating asset the minute it leaves the factory. There are exceptions, of course, like limited edition cars and models that you have to get an allocation for, but unless there is a good reason I am never going to pay MSRP. I like to buy cars at this time of the year because dealers are acutely aware of the declining value of their inventory that is now last years model. If Porsche Fremont had priced that pre-owned 2017 correctly, I would have bought it and never even bothered to stop at Carlsen, and if they had come in at closer to $130k on Monday I would have left Carlsen with the graphite blue car unsold (my friend was going to buy it if I didn’t so it would have sold on Monday after my first dibs on it expired). As it happens, I’m actually really happy that I got the graphite blue car because the option package is really well thought out and I do like the color.
Thanks for the info on your car. You got a fantastic deal. I got something similar Sept 2016 on a new 2015 C2S Cab, build date 4/15. MSRP was 137,880, and it already had an XPEL clear bra, bumper, full l&r fenders, full hood, and side view mirrors. Dealer was one day away from wholesaling it and I happened to walk in the showroom on the right day. I got it for an even $110,000, 21% off MSRP. The difference in my car and your car is my car had 500 miles and there were a few cosmetic issues on the car, one of which was repaired under warranty. Moral of the story is there are deals out there, but you have to be lucky to find a great one. Timing is everything.

Last edited by flickroll; 11-30-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
4% off a GTS order seems decent to me. That's what I got - and one dealership started at 2%, and only went to 4% when I mentioned that I already had a 4% offer.

You might have gotten more off an S order, but dealers do see GTS slots as at least somewhat of a premium. I was offered 6% off a 4S order, for example.

I've seen people here talking about getting 6% off a GTS on the lot, but not an order. Maybe someone will pipe up to correct me. JNolan's 11% is extraordinary, and due at least in part because he was talking about a 2017 on the lot that the dealership had already decided to discount heavily.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
I got something similar Sept 2016 on a 2015 C2S Cab, build date 4/15.
Which you sold to get your carmine GTS. Man, and I was feeling guilty and spendy for selling my 2014 C4S cab after 18 months of ownership because I wanted a manual transmission. What made you change cars?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Which you sold to get your carmine GTS. Man, and I was feeling guilty and spendy for selling my 2014 C4S cab after 18 months of ownership because I wanted a manual transmission. What made you change cars?
A few reasons. One is it was black and I am OCD and keeping it clean to my standards was absolutely killing me. Another is it was PDK and I really miss the MT I had in my first Porsche, a 1999 996 Cab. Every P car since then had PDK, and while there is no doubt PDK can outrun a manual, I missed rowing gears. Plus I got a helluva deal on the GTS, 6.5% disc for a car ordered to my specs, not a lot car. And lastly, I was in the mood for a Coupe, all of other my Porsche’s (except the Macan obviously) were Cabriolets.

Last edited by flickroll; 11-29-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Heavily optioned cars have more room to play in margin.

I suspect maybe they ordered JNolan's car for a customer who then backed out. Pricey GTS sitting in inventory, likely sold it for close to what they had in it. Perfect timing. Haven't heard too many great stories about Carlsen.

Good luck with it!

Some gorgeous GTSs on here!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

To all, every one of the GTS' posted on this thread are drop dead beauties. I could take any one of them and live happily ever after. Let's keep the pictures coming!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Chewylewis
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 56 Posts

I posted this before in the 991.2 Targa thread but here is mine. Came out of a 991.1 C4S and couldn't be happier. Totally different cars but both awesome in their own right. Congrats JNolan and lots of good lookin Bay Area GTS's.👍🏻👍🏻

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS picture thread