Sponsored by:

(Hill) Hold Function in 2018 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I seem to remember reading that it won’t activate in sport mode. May explain why it doesn’t activate for some individuals. Mine seems inconsistent, but I have no objective data.
My 17 works just fine in sport mode. Great feature IMO.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AKawasaki
Colleagues,
I’m still get orientated to my 2018MY C4GTS that has a manual transmission. One area of question or concern that I have is the Hold function.

The manual states that inclines >5% (>3 degrees) will activate the Hold function. I am experiencing random activation, more often not activating and if it does activate it is generally at very steep angles that far exceed the referenced minimal incline.

I took it it to the dealership who briefly checked it out and saw no issue or warning lights or other. Annoyingly, the function worked properly in the parking lot when I was parking on an incline. They also openly admitted the manual is not reliable and that the activation incline/angle is much higher. They also said it is not perfect and somewhat finicky.

Have you had consistent functioning of the Hold function? I will be “testing” this out more thoroughly on some hills and steep hills this weekend. And if not consistent plan to take it back to the dealership for a more thorough diagnostic.

Any my constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. Still loving living my 40 year old dream with this car.
Hill hold is designed to work only when you have engaged a gear and your legs are on clutch and brake, and of course on a gradient. That is, when the transmission is on neutral and you are holding the vehicle on a gradient only with brakes, hill hold is not activated.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Our HH Function works great. It rarely kicks in on me, since I'm almost never on the brake, clutch in, and gear selected. I was just never taught to drive that way (hold clutch in at stop).
Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Our HH Function works great. It rarely kicks in on me, since I'm almost never on the brake, clutch in, and gear selected. I was just never taught to drive that way (hold clutch in at stop).
Same here, I don't hold clutch in a stop either, just brake and transmission in neutral. The good news is HH lends you a helping hand when you are ready to start moving on a gradient from a stand still position; that is, depress clutch, engage gear and take your foot off brake to depress accelerator.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It kind of works on the 2012 I have.
It needs to be on a relatively steep grade.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

This feature should be a DOT mandate.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:09 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
This feature should be a DOT mandate.
In general, most folks are buying automatic transmission these days (am not talking about a Porsche buyer). Its easier to take off from a gradient with automatic transmission, even without HH, with little risk of stalling or vehicle rolling back. Typical new driver is not opting for MT and those that do get MT have a ton of prior MT experience, including taking off on a hill from stand still. Let's just hope they don't mandate automatic transmissions only in the name of efficiency anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:01 PM
GregD
Racer

I drive mine in San Francisco. We got *serious* hills. It's never failed to work when I needed it. I have no idea what a mild hill would look like, they're all steep, or if it's mild enough then I'm so used to driving the car like an older non-hill-hold car that I don't notice it's not turning on? I'll be looking for it now.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:22 PM
GregD
Racer

I've checked on mild slopes, yup, the hill hold does not engage. Then again those are inclines where I'd expect my footwork to easily compensate... The hill hold always engage in sitations where I'd normally use the handbrake on an older car... Seems pretty well calibrated !
Old 10-26-2019, 12:56 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

My hill hold light has not turned on while on a hill since I took delivery of my Touring. The hill hold function did seem to work, though, as the car would hold for a couple of seconds before rolling back on a hill. The car is currently at Porsche Newport Beach for what I thought was simply going to be fixing the hill hold light. Turns out, the hill hold function itself is not working properly (which could explain why the light is not turning on). The service department has not yet figured out why the function is not working. I will keep you posted as to what comes of it all. It sounds like some of you would like to have my car for the simple fact that the hill hold is NOT working... I must say, I do like it (when it works!) for steep hills.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:37 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

The hill hold feature in my '19 Carrera 7MT doesn't engage on slight inclines, it does on more aggressive slopes.

This could all be solved by a conventional handbrake and be a lot more reliable/controllable. Progress(?) I guess.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=BSO;16192098]The hill hold feature in my '19 Carrera 7MT doesn't engage on slight inclines, it does on more aggressive slopes.

/QUOTE]

As it should be.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:48 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

[QUOTE=Gary JR;16192102]
Originally Posted by BSO
The hill hold feature in my '19 Carrera 7MT doesn't engage on slight inclines, it does on more aggressive slopes.

/QUOTE]

As it should be.
And why shouldn't it engage, if the incline is sufficient for the vehicle to start moving backward on both cases, it should engage.

Again manual hand brake for a solution, like all the manual cars I've driven for the last half century.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=BSO;16192114]
Originally Posted by Gary JR

And why shouldn't it engage, if the incline is sufficient for the vehicle to start moving backward on both cases, it should engage.

Again manual hand brake for a solution, like all the manual cars I've driven for the last half century.
Because it has to draw the line somewhere and it draws it where it thinks the average MT driver needs it.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Its often the driver’s perception of the incline differs from the actual. Mine works just like yours. I’m not sure why they couldn’t make it like the Macan. Had one as a loaner and when you step on the brakes a bit harder the “hold” comes on regardless of incline

Quick Reply: (Hill) Hold Function in 2018 911