Sponsored by:

991.2 C2S - Cat bypass Pipes - Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 01:36 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
RANDR - Have you dynoed your car on this dyno? If not you have a ton of ***** calling out anyone. If you have a problem PROVE IT
Originally Posted by arter
When comparing across dynos, you always need a before and after comparison or a completely stock car stand-in to allow a proper delta to be calculated for the new change.

When I had my car dynoed at Cobb SoCal, I couldnt compare it to the same model run at Cobb's Austin site as their two dynos didnt match. I had to find a comparable car run at the SoCal site to provide a meaningful delta ( that i would believe in).
Should have run my car twice, before and after, but that costs more....

Yes you are right.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

RANDR - Have you dynoed your car on this dyno? If not you have a ton of ***** calling out anyone. If you have a problem PROVE IT
As I said previously, its about understanding the starting point.

(1) If you don't dyno the car before modifications on the same dyno you have no idea if the number after modification is real or meaningful.

Its that simple. . There is no mystery. Or you can use something like a MAHA dyno which can produce precise and accurate results. Tuners don't like them because they are very expensive.

also and as I said previously

(2) If you get a replacement crate engine for a GT3 - that engine will have a result from Porsche with the paperwork

(3) Porsche release engines within a narrow tolerance band

(4) Sport Auto (a very highly respected magazine) reports MAHA dyno results for a wide range of Porsche sports cars and others.

(5) Moreover, they bothered to look into the detail and found that a "happy" result for a TTS was way off beam. They went and did three cross checks on three other MAHA dynos and found the initial error was due to the use of inappropriate corrections for these cars.

(6) If you want a reasonable discussion about modifications, what works and what doesn't work. You need accurate and precise information or at worst inaccurate but reproducable information from the same dyno. Without this its all smoke and mirrors.

(7) I wasn't "calling anyone out" - I was pointing out what the real starting point for this series is.

(8) Why would I want to or need to dyno my X51, there is no point - its a manufacturer modification - a turbo swap and whole system remap - it does what it says on the box.

Last edited by randr; 11-04-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 AM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a huge improvement over stock if your baseline would have been similar to the Cobb dyno runs!

Are the O2 spacers continuing to eliminate any CEL's? How's the exhaust smell without the cats?
Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

This is kinda surprising; I always thought you had to pair a hardware change like this with an appropriate tune - your results imply that your stock ECU adapted to not having the cats and car is putting down more power accordingly, making use of your new hardware, so the ECU self-tuned in a way? Pretty impressive if so
Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I think you'll find those runs are inaccurate. See below for a current GTS run on a MAHA dyno.

You will notice the towing or run down losses.

A GTS makes ~ 370RWHP, S ~ 350RWHP, base ~300RWHP

Porsche do not under rate their engines - in fact the replacement crate engines for GT3s have the engine torque and HP provided with the paper work . The german magazine Sport Auto looked into the "under rated" issue about two years ago. They concluded that tuners were applying inappropriate correction factors for current generation tubocharged Porsche sports. To date - I have not seen anything that indicates the US tuning houses have picked up on this.
Randr, this is the second time now you are claiming someone else's dyno runs to be inaccurate. You are spreading misinformation.

The dyno run in the OP is accurate you simply do not understand that it is a Dynojet he is using. We already went over this and I attempted to explain it you in very basic terms.

I sent you an article that explains exactly why dyno's differ and how a Dynojet in particular operates compared to other dynos: http://www.****************/content.p...an-vary-wildly

I see you did not read it. It is very insulting for you to claim ///m3thod's run is inaccurate as well as runs by others.

The MAHA is simply reading conservatively. The 991.2 does not have 19% drivetrain losses which is what 362 whp compared to a 450 hp crank rating would tell you.

Additionally, Porsche does in fact underrate certain engines. How do you explain the 991.2 Carrera trapping 7 miles per hour higher despite 'only' an increase of 20 horsepower on paper? Are Porsche horses taking steroids?

991.1 Carrera

DISPLACEMENT: 210 cu in, 3436 cc
POWER: 350 hp @ 7400 rpm
TORQUE: 287 lb-ft @ 5600 rpm
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph

991.2 Carrera

DISPLACEMENT: 182 cu in, 2981 cc
POWER: 370 hp @ 6500 rpm
TORQUE: 331 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm
Standing ¼-mile: 11.9 sec @ 118 mph

Your argument is Porsche does not underrate the motors and that all dyno's othe than the MAHA are wrong. Well then, why do my own dyno tests support the real world performance difference? How do you explain the dyno results lining up exactly with what you see?

A Dynojet is an inertia based dyno (you would know this if you read the article I linked you to) which means it measures how quickly a drum of a set weight is spun. Compared to load bearing dynos (like a MAHA) it reads higher. That does not mean it is inaccurate. It means it is different.

Please read about different dynos and do not discount the testing others do especially when you have done none of your own and do not understand how different machines operate.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Banned

Dude he posted HIS dyno numbers. Wow please post yours for comparison and QUIT posting your MAHA nonsense.
He seems to think that because a MAHA says 362 whp that means all dynos should show 362 whp. It's a basic fallacy.

If your Carrera reads 355 on a Dynojet and 340 on a Mustang the horsepower of the car didn't change it is simply the reading of the dyno that did because it's a different machine.

Where is the OP supposed to go find a MAHA? He's not in Europe. I'm not in Europe. You're not in Europe. We do not need a MAHA anyway. I wouldn't want to use one due to how few runs there are to compare to Dynojet and Mustang graphs.

It is wrong for him to call the testing of others inaccurate though. He should appreciate the data and read about the subject so he can better understand it rather than dismiss everyone else outright.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sprchng
A comparison of a different dyno in different parts of the world (IE Maha to Dynojet, Europe to US) is a rough comparison.

Dynojets are commonly regarded to read higher than Mustangs do. Maha dynos are not popular in the US so I can't comment how they would compare.

Nice numbers OP. It would have been great to compare them with stock as to obtain a baseline. Your graph atleast looks similar to the Cobb graph, in the curve is still similar and power comes on the same way.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of stock, tuned, and catless tuned / stock.

Now go get that GTS dyno'd and see what it does for a baseline!
Exactly this.

I'm ordering a set of cat bypass pipes myself to test as I have a baseline and I will show the overlay as soon as Soul gets back to me.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:50 AM
randr
Banned

No sticky - I'm not posting false information. I'm pointing out what each of this series puts down in stock form, both at the wheel and at the crank.

The Sport Auto articles are factual and the data is reproducible.

I am fully aware there is some variance from the factory however this is very tightly controlled by Porsche.

You need to understand the distinction between accuracy and precision and also understand the actual difference in performance between the .1 base and .2 base as power calculated under the curve. Which is significant.

This is why the performance of the .2s is so far ahead of the .1s - because of the large difference in total power under the curve created by the presence of low end and mid range torque.

Originally Posted by sticky
He seems to think that because a MAHA says 362 whp that means all dynos should show 362 whp. It's a basic fallacy.

If your Carrera reads 355 on a Dynojet and 340 on a Mustang the horsepower of the car didn't change it is simply the reading of the dyno that did because it's a different machine.
I wont even bother to address this particular comment - However, I did find it very amusing.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Banned

No sticky - I'm not posting false information. I'm pointing out what each of this series puts down in stock form, both at the wheel and at the crank.

The Sport Auto articles are factual and the data is reproducible.

I am fully aware there is some variance from the factory however this is very tightly controlled by Porsche.

You need to understand the distinction between accuracy and precision and also understand the actual difference in performance between the .1 base and .2 base as power calculated under the curve. Which is significant.

This is why the performance of the .2s is so far ahead of the .1s - because of the large difference in total power under the curve created by the presence of low end and mid range torque.

I wont even bother to address this particular comment - However, I did find it very amusing.
You're hung up on Sport Auto for some reason as if they are the only people who can dyno a car on the planet. I don't know why you can't process there are different dyno machines.

I have personally utilized three different dynamometers with the same car. Each showed different peak horsepower yet the curve shape was similar. Why? Did my hp change on each machine or how it was read?

I'm not talking about factory variance but Porsche underrating 991.2 output. Would you kindly explain how the '370' hp 991.2 base is beating the 991.1 GTS in a drag race? Have you read this which explains it? http://www.****************/content.p...orsche-history

You say it is area under the curve. True. But horsepower is torque X rpm / 5252. The 991.2 has more torque AND more power.

Need evidence? Here:

Stock 991.1 Carrera:

Stock 991.2 Carrera:

Not 20 hp. 75+ hp and more area under the curve. Works out exactly to a 7 mph increase in trap speed. Why is the dyno 100% accurate here?

I find it amusing you still didn't read the dyno article I linked you to. I can lead you to water but I can't make you drink it. You would do yourself and the forum a huge service if you educated yourself on the topic.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Fascinating discussion. Could do without the ad hominem, though.

As a relative novice in this department, I would have thought the power curve as delivered to the wheels was the most important thing; after all, that’s what makes the car move? Who cares what’s going on at the end of the crank or in the middle of the gearbox?

There are many ways to measure power/torque with high accuracy. If tested under the same conditions, there is only one correct set of data and I’d have thought the dyno which gets closest to these numbers would be the best?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:36 AM
randr
Banned

I'm not talking about factory variance but Porsche underrating 991.2 output. Would you kindly explain how the '370' hp 991.2 base is beating the 991.1 GTS in a drag race?
Sticky, from 4000rpm to redline the 991.1 GTS makes 340HP under the curve. The 991.2 base makes 330HP under the curve - so any drag race should be very close. Note the GTS will likely have slightly higher losses.

Car and Driver 991.1 GTS 11.9 @ 118 (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ra-test-review)
Car and Driver 991.2 Base 11.9 @ 118 . (https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...e-specs-page-5)

If you look at - to speed or in gear acceleration the base 991.2 is every bit the equal of the outgoing GTS

0-60mph, 3.4s base/ 0-60, 3.6s 991.1GTS
to 100mph, 8.5s/ 8.5s
to 130mph, 14.8s/ 14.6s
5-60mph, 4.3s/ 4.2s
30-50mph, 2.6s/ 2.7s
50-70mph, 2.8s/ 2.8s

I really don't think its a mystery but I do think its fantastic Porsche produced such a good engine with so much head room.

In some respects its easy to see why the 991.1 guys get so riled. The usual Porsche scenario is the .1GTS is ~ .2S and the .1S is ~ .2 base. What happened here, in terms of performance, is the .1 GTS ~ .2 base.

Last edited by randr; 11-06-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Banned

Sticky, from 4000rpm to redline the 991.1 GTS makes 340HP under the curve. The 991.2 base makes 330HP - so any drag race should be very close.

Car and Driver 991.1 GTS 11.9 @ 118 (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ra-test-review)
Car and Driver 991.2 Base 11.9 @ 118 . (https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...e-specs-page-5)

I really don't think its a mystery but I do think its fantastic Porsche produced such a good engine with so much head room.
So you're going by the graphs I posted?

Exactly my point. The 991.2 base at 370 matches the 991.1 GTS at 430? Someone is lying. By the way, torque isn't what you want for trap speed. If it was diesels would rule the performance landscape.

I haven't seen any MAHA graphs to back up your claims showing a 350 whp 991.2 S or 300 whp 991.2 base.

Regardless, you still don't understand how dynos differ...
Old 11-06-2017, 06:08 AM
randr
Banned

So you're going by the graphs I posted?

Exactly my point. The 991.2 base at 370 matches the 991.1 GTS at 430? Someone is lying. By the way, torque isn't what you want for trap speed. If it was diesels would rule the performance landscape.

I haven't seen any MAHA graphs to back up your claims showing a 350 whp 991.2 S or 300 whp 991.2 base.

Regardless, you still don't understand how dynos differ...

No, I'm calculating everything from the published engine curves then integrating the areas under the curves to give a HP value "under the curve" from 4000rpm to redline (or basically calculating how much engine HP is realistically on tap as you punch through the gears).
Old 11-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Banned

No, I'm calculating everything from the published engine curves then integrating the areas under the curves to give a HP value "under the curve" from 4000rpm to redline (or basically calculating how much engine HP is realistically on tap as you punch through the gears).
So you're a dyno?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 AM
randr
Banned

So you're a dyno?
You can do the same calculations for any data. It will only have meaning if the data is accurate.

Thats why I use the engine curves published by Porsche as the starting point.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S - Cat bypass Pipes - Dyno Results