Sponsored by:

Manual shift knob tear down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:55 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Manual shift **** tear down?

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but I have only had crickets when asking elsewhere.

Has anyone taken apart a 991 era manual shift ****? Not taking it off, that's easy, I mean taking the head apart.

I would love to replace the silver plastic with black metal, and it occurred to me that I have access to everything I need to get one produced if I can get the plastic part off (unbroken) and 3D scan it.

I do lots of 3D work, taking a scan and cleaning it up to be perfect, then printing out a new part from Shapeways in whatever material I want would be easy.

But I'm stuck. I don't want to break the ****, but it seems in there very very well with clips I can't get to, and I don't know enough about the insides to try.

I even looked around for a damaged/used one with no luck.

So I'm asking here--has anyone gotten the plastic part with the shift pattern off? Or has a broken one? Or even a technical drawing of how it goes together? It might be you can't get it off without breaking it, but it may be possible to break "just' the part I want to replace.

I'm happy to share the resulting file with other Rennlist members to use if this turns out to be a doable mod.

Why do this? I actually have the Performance First **** installed now. Solid aluminum, love the look and feel. But I also miss the Alcantara a bit, and would prefer to stay as close to stock as possible. If that silver plastic piece was black metal, it would look and feel awesome. (where I live, metal there has not been a problem at all, love that it holds some heat and cold)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Would be interested in this.

I had my **** off (no jokes) but will admit I didn't look at it as I was too concerned with replacing the shifter. It got put back on a LITTLE crooked so I may try to straighten it. While I've got it off, I'll look and see.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I removed my shift **** to install the Function First shift ****, which feels much much better than stock IMO. The friction fit stock **** was a PIA to remove and I believe I may have broken a clip or something. I would be happy to send you the OEM shift ****. PM with your ship to details if interested.

Al
Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I removed my shift **** to install the Function First shift ****, which feels much much better than stock IMO. The friction fit stock **** was a PIA to remove and I believe I may have broken a clip or something. I would be happy to send you the OEM shift ****. PM with your ship to details if interested.

Al
I'll keep that in mind but as a backup--from my own searching they are pretty hard to come by. I'd much prefer to tear up a broken/damaged one. Actually maybe I should contact those teardown places...

And I agree, I love the feel of the FF one (I had the wrong name) and the black look, just feels like it could combine with the stock shifter for perfection...

Any idea why that part is not metal? Heat concerns? I've had my FF installed for almost a year now, but I'm in the Northwest and the car is never left out in the sun. Never had it get hot on me.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

My guess would be cost. I have experienced the heat which prevalent in the FF **** here in VA. It does dissipate quickly though.

Last edited by AlBinVA; 04-17-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Tangerine
Pro

My guess would be cost. I have experienced the heat which prevalent in the FF **** here in VA. It does dissipate quickly though.
I wonder what the ideal material would be? Since it's not under much stress, I figure it could be anything--Shapeways can print in classic steel, black steel, or even silver and gold. It would need some polishing afterwards to have a flawless smooth finish (or brushed), but would look great. My first instinct is to go with black steel.

I emailed the LA Porsche Dismantler, fingers crossed they can find something that would otherwise get trashed.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Tangerine
Pro

FYI in case there is any confusion, here is my old OEM shift ****. I want to see if I can remove the silver plastic, recreate it on the computer (laser scan then clean up), get a clean model which can be uploaded to Shapeways to print out in whatever metal/color anyone wants. If successful I'll share the model with anyone who wants it, or just leave it as a public project on Shapeways.

Here is a random project on Shapeways where a replacement was made for something: https://www.shapeways.com/product/QU...edproductGroup

In this case it's left rough because it doesn't need finishing. For what I want, it would be finished nicely. If I can't find my rotary tools then I'd take it to a jeweler.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

If I'm not mistaken, FF also uses delryn as a **** material. Lighter weight and not conductive.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I'm not mistaken, FF also uses delryn as a **** material. Lighter weight and not conductive.
You are not mistaken.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Heat buildup isn't a concern for me at all. I like that it holds some heat. Plus if that small part is replaced, it wouldn't hold much heat anyway compared to the solid **** that FF makes.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:31 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Heat buildup isn't a concern for me at all. I like that it holds some heat. Plus if that small part is replaced, it wouldn't hold much heat anyway compared to the solid **** that FF makes.
You must not live in TX.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If you look at the brushed aluminium/wood/carbon fiber ***** I think you will find those easier to deal with than the stock Silver plastic insert ones as the brushed aluminium/wood/cf replaces the plastic. I am not sure they are any easier to get apart, however.

I mean I am sure there is some clip in there for the plastic, but it is probably one where if you pry off the plastic it breaks the clip. Shame to do it on a nice alcantara ****, but maybe someone has a used one you can break apart.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Tangerine
Pro

And here's my black FF solid aluminum **** for reference, since there's a nice silver shot above:
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Push the silver plate up vertically, there is only one retaining tab at the top under the shift pattern that will most likely snap but if you're going to make a new one it won't matter. The **** itself will be fine and even with a snapped tab, a little glue and the design of the plate to fit vertically, it should be reusable as is if you decide against your project. I'd post a picture but I'm having difficulties with that. Pm me your email if you want to see the plate off and the tab I'm talking about.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How much bigger is the FF **** than the stock (at the top).

Quick Reply: Manual shift knob tear down?