Sponsored by:

Carrera T-- rage free thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Thanks. I made this point in the previous thread but it got buried in 5 pages of off topic stuff. I reposted below.

Porsche is really just responding to what many of us are asking for in a 911. We should give credit to Porsche. It's not just all about a marketing gimic.

Numerous threads on rennlist have asked for the following in a 911:

1. Shorter gears (especially for us manual drivers). I really hate these longer gears that are designed to meet emissions and mpg standards and not my driving pleasure standards.
2. SPASM available on a base model (I literally went to Porsche exclusive and asked them if there was a way they could add this option on my Base 991.2 order - no can do)
3. RWS for the base model.
4. Lighter weight 911. (granted 11 lbs and cloth door pulls are a bit of a gimic in my view).
5. PTV on a base non C4 model
6. Light weight bucket seats available as an option.

We asked, they delivered. What is the problem?

I also want to point out that we (i.e. Porsche fanatics) asked for a manual GT3 with the 991.2. We asked for a NA motor to be kept in the GT3. We asked that the 981 to be allowed to fulfill the potential of the chassis with a 991.1S engine. We got all of that.

Porsche reads these forums. I think they are delivering. I love the NA motor much better than my Turbo but Porsche is being held back by regulatory forces and they don't have much of a choice. 911T sounds (no pun intended) pretty cool to me. Just my two cents.
Fully agree. To me there is something special about the base Carrera and the “T” builds on it. Even the little things such as sport chrono without the clock.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Posted in the other thread but will post again here. Would be interested in availability of this car. Not for me I have .2 Carrera but just curious whether this is easy to order unlike .2 Gt3. Anyone who talks to dealer and or gets production stats, etc please post here thx!
I was at my local dealer yesterday and I was told there is nothing yet in their internal PVMS regarding placing an order for a 911T... but soon they stated PCNA will update the dealerships. This T was just announced so not a surprise that ordering & allocation details aren't released yet....
Old 10-25-2017, 11:56 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

A mildly chipped ( turbo-engined ) " poor man's GT3 Touring " 911T with say 425 hp that has std S-PASM and shortened gear ratios with options like Sport Chrono , RWS and a couple weight reducing options like LWB/rear seat delete and if you like , PCCB , and you have probably the quickest and best handling non-GT 911 ...including the GTS , for $20-40k less than GTS and $50-70k less than GT3 Touring ....wow !

The SOUND experienced inside from less OEM sound deadening ( like a GT model ) is a subjective bonus AND , you can spec PDK .. not MT-only like in GT3 Touring ( which you can get only if you are deemed " worthy " enough to even score a GT3 allocation ) for those who want to daily drive it in LA type-traffic and canyon carve it on weekends .

And the reality of the more " precious " GT3 Touring ( and its probable $$$ ADM ) is that it could lose $$ of market value for every mile one puts on its odometer .

Last edited by MKW; 10-25-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

One more thing.... if PTS is open for the 911T then that would be cool! Spec one with an old school color... heritage!

Fashion Grey? Irish Green? Bahama Yellow? Golf Blue? Polo Red? Slate Gray? Mmmmm....
Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
To add to subshooter’s great list, it has all the sport chrono benefits standard with no wart (aka clock) on the dash and has rear seat delete. I think the configurator description is wrong in the US (and right in the UK) for SC. I believe the correct answer is SC gets you the clock and the wiring for the lap time trigger in a T.
SC w/o the wart, brilliant! I enjoyed the throttle mapping SC offered on my 997.2 C2S but the stopwatch makes no sense, clean dash FTW.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish they did not include PTV but just a mechanical limited slip. Simply specced - withouf rws, no ptv, just sport suspension and manual trans. It is all you need for some twisty roads.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I wish they did not include PTV but just a mechanical limited slip. Simply specced - withouf rws, no ptv, just sport suspension and manual trans. It is all you need for some twisty roads.

The MOST " old school " ( and BEST bargain ) 991 experience is to source a pre-owned NORMALLY ASPIRATED (!) 2012-13 991.1 BASE car with 7MT in $60k ranges and install carbon buckets , full analog coil-over suspension, uprated brakes , center muffler delete pipes , rip out rear seats , some sound deadening and consider swapping out 3rd -5th gears in the transmission ...total spent prob would be half the price of a loaded new GTS and you can pile on miles and miles of " carefree" driving because it's a well-depreciated preowned

Last edited by MKW; 10-25-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:33 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
The MOST " old school " ( and BEST bargain ) 991 experience is to source a pre-owned NORMALLY ASPIRATED (!) 2012-13 991.1 BASE car with 7MT in $60k ranges and install carbon buckets , full analog coil-over suspension, uprated brakes , center muffler delete pipes , rip out rear seats , some sound deadening and consider swapping out 3rd -5th gears in the transmission ...total spent prob would be half the price of a loaded new GTS
My stripper 16 Base is due off of lease in January. I already know the short throw shift kit from the GT4 will fit. I am sure the shorter lever from the T will fit.

If the lower final gears and limited slip fit it would make me want to buy my car at the end of the lease and do a few mods.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Re PTV, I'm not a fan, at least with my limited knowledge. First, with my Spyder, I've felt it intervene a couple times and it didn't feel natural to me. Second, I've read that it fries brakes on the track.
I wish it were an option. My ideal sports car is one that allows ME to learn car control. If I want a video game, I'll play a video game.
Comments?
You're not crazy. Did a back to back with a 987.2 Spyder vs a 981 2.7 w/X73 suspension and PTV and while the 981 was superb (!), there were times where I wondered if its turn-in wasn't quite honest. I have little doubt that's when PTV was braking an inside rear. It wasn't enough that I wouldn't take the car, but I preferred the mechanical honesty of the 987.2.

PTV is a bit like RWS—a rare chassis upgrade that adds both stability AND agility. It is therefore very hard to argue against, as its cost is that nebulous old friend: feel. PTV works really well in a lot of other models—especially the heavy and AWD cars. It also seems to hide better with RWS, as I am sure the systems were developed to work together. But I'd prefer a mechanical diff and nothing else acting on the rear axle of a car like a Spyder or the T.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

On the one hand, in order to take advantage of all the performance-oriented options they're offering on essentially a base model, we'd need to order with rear wheel steering. However, it seems to me that rear wheel steering helps eliminate the rear weight bias of the 911, making it handle more like my 981 Spyder. In order to maintain more of a traditional 911 character, and help keep it a unique Driving Experience compared to the Spyder, I'm thinking it should it be ordered without rear wheel steering. But a recent article re the GT3, though, said the new MT with mech diff car seems most like an older 911. What gives?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is PTV standard? I thought the limited slip differential was standard.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
Is PTV standard? I thought the limited slip differential was standard.
IIRC PTV and MLSD are a package deal, the base Carrera can't be optioned with either.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:23 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. Didn’t realize you couldn’t get LSD without PTV.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
The MOST " old school " ( and BEST bargain ) 991 experience is to source a pre-owned NORMALLY ASPIRATED (!) 2012-13 991.1 BASE car with 7MT in $60k ranges and install carbon buckets , full analog coil-over suspension, uprated brakes , center muffler delete pipes , rip out rear seats , some sound deadening and consider swapping out 3rd -5th gears in the transmission ...total spent prob would be half the price of a loaded new GTS and you can pile on miles and miles of " carefree" driving because it's a well-depreciated preowned
Interesting - I have a 2012 991.1 base with 7MT that probably is worth around $60k. I'd love to add some power, but there are no worthwhile options. I'd also love to swap some gears or final drive, but have yet to find anyone doing this. Finally what sound deadening can be removed? That sounds like a nice DIY project.

I love driving my car, but have always wished for a little more low end power and a little more volume.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
To add to subshooter’s great list, it has all the sport chrono benefits standard with no wart (aka clock) on the dash and has rear seat delete. I think the configurator description is wrong in the US (and right in the UK) for SC. I believe the correct answer is SC gets you the clock and the wiring for the lap time trigger in a T.
So the T does including things like the dynamic engine mounts. Perfect.

I've try to find the official info but couldn't find it. Since the SC now is only a $320, I just assume the T come with all the other SC options standard and without the clock.

Quick Reply: Carrera T-- rage free thread