Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy 3 Months (991.1 to 991.2 and back to 991.1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Having driven the Ring a month ago, of course in a slow as hell NA M3, I brought a cup back home.
Just poured myself some tea and opened my favorite thread this week.

TEA = Turbo Enough Already

Ditto but 3 years ago. Drove 2X laps in E92 m3 and brought cup (black one) AND a hat

Op: couldn’t agree more on the switch to NA “S”. Very well done!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Great story! I am 100% happy with my 991.2 C2s, but everyone has their own favorite features in a sports car. Glad you found a nice 991.1 that you are happy with.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:54 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This made my wife and I laugh out loud. Then she said, "oh no, are we like them?!".....as I research GT3 allocations I say "nah!"
Old 10-19-2017, 01:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
In 991.1 land the base often comes w/o PASM, I'd want one with it if I weren't getting the S.
I concur. My 3.4 has PASM and I couldn’t imagine enjoying the car nearly as much as I do without it. I feel it at minimum is necessary to do this chassis justice. I truly wish I had SPASM.

Originally Posted by 911boy
I got my first (991.2) last Christmas ( I had been a very good boy) and absolutely love it. Didnt get the S and if I were ordering another one today I'm not sure that I would. These things are really fast/quick for everyday driving in the city and hwy. If I was tracking it I would probably go S. Same goes for PASM ,, rear wheel steering etc. Not sure there is any benefit on a daily driver. I wonder if I will feel the same in a couple of years..................I really like the new GT3................
I thought .2 Base cars came with PASM as standard?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Congrats!!!! The key is that you bought a car that makes you happy! That is ALL that counts! . Both the 991.1 and 991.2 are special in different ways. Buy and drive what makes you happy!

Originally Posted by OTM
I loved my 2014 base 911 (manual) in GT Silver over last few years. Didn’t do much to it besides adding PSE. I loved it. I loved the sound, feel and need to wind out the engine. I drove it year round and commuted in it most days. But like many, I began to suffer from “S” envy. It started small but grew a bit each and every trip. Not sure why. I didn’t need or miss the extra oomph. The bigger red brakes weren’t that big a deal. Nobody but us diehards know or care about base vs S but still it slowly ate away at me.

I convinced myself I was tired of silver and I wanted to try black (which I always avoided). I convinced myself that I needed a newer car with cpo as my warranty would run out in early 2018 and I already had 28,000 miles. I convinced myself I would need brakes and tires soon so I should sell before that large expense. I followed HFS and cars.com every day for 6 months and did not find the 2015 or 2016 with manual and the options I wanted and then I convinced myself of the big one...I’ll get a brand new 2017 S and I’ll love it!

I figured I would love the new electronics and the turbo whistle was fun. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t miss the NA sound and rough feel. So I started a search for a 2017 S. I needed a manual, sport chrono, PSE and sunroof. I found a few good possibilities and then I found what I thought was perfect. In beginning of July I found it in New Hampshire. Warranty punched, black, all the options I wanted and barely anything extra to drive up the price. The dealer offered me a great price on my trade. It had a punched warranty so I hammered out a good deal that included a CPO warranty even though it had 20 miles.

(Picture below)

It was perfect and beautiful...and I knew I made a big mistake.

The car was noticeably faster. The black was so nice (when clean). I had only 20 miles and 5.5 yrs of warranty. This should have been a keeper. But I kept looking for a 2016 S. I wasn’t sure why. Was it just the engine sound. I didn’t notice any lag but I missed the rough rumble of my 2014. I liked the upgraded electronics but I missed the PCM that I knew and loved. And...the black was driving me nuts. I was washing the car every couple days because it constantly looked filthy. Even if I washed it and put it right in the garage, within 2 days the dust that covered it was bugging me.

So my search continued until I found it. A newly traded in 2016 S in Dark Blue Metallic. CPO and 7,000 miles. Manual of course, glass roof, sport chrono, sport PASM, Bose, turbo wheels. (2nd photo below) a few other options but nothing crazy. This was the car I had been looking for over last 9 months. Just too bad I purchased that 2017 before I found it

I love it. I hope to have it for years and years. I added PSE right away. And clear side marker, and my pretty new winter S wheels in platinum (I’ll use the turbo wheels as winter wheels) and the black gts rear grille. I always loved that look so I figured let’s just get it all done and not think about any upgrades (last couple photos).

The 2017 was faster, smoother, more fuel efficient, newer, less miles and more warranty but I have no regret in my decision. The NA sound is intoxicating. The 2017 sounded great. I loved it and the PSE was awesome but absolutely no comparison to the NA 3.8 (or the 3.4 which I think sounded perfect btw). The clutch in the 2017 was light and smooth. Fairly short and nice easy bite...but I love the 2016 clutch. Stiffer but not too stiff. Longer travel but not too long. More effort required but...well you get it. I think this one is a keeper. My wife, family, friends and neighbors all think I’m crazy. I have to agree with them all!

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

What a Great Story and one that could easily apply to well, at least half the people here!

I'm sorry that it cost you so much to find out but at least you are sure and have a sense of peace and that you will never be like,

"I wonder if..."

So, Congrat's on what I think was a necessary evil, and one many of us can live thru vicariously...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
This made my wife and I laugh out loud. Then she said, "oh no, are we like them?!".....as I research GT3 allocations I say "nah!"

Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts

Good experience to realize when more isn't more and when you like what you have, stop! I did the same on an M3/M4 trade and immediately knew it was a mistake. $5K in exhaust mods later I still dumped it and got my 991.1 before the turbo car launched.

Some day we may all own 991.2 3.0 Turbos, but for now I am super happy with my Sport Design '13 and the smiles it brings.

Enjoy the driving!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 9~factor
Coming from a guy shopping for his first Porsche, how true is this statement in general?
to me it depends on priorities and if you are buying new.

I bought used at which point the 'S' price difference-and all other options- are a lot more justifiable. If buying used then search for a car with everything you think you might want....cant add later.... and since you dont know what you want it avoids regrets to stretch now.

all bets off if you are focused on a must have combo of colors like 'must be a sapphire blue with yachting blue interior'. in which case you have to make other sacrifices unless you buy new and build your car

I drove both S and Non-S and once I drove the S with sport chrono it was a 'must have' combination for me. I seem to read more often that people wish they had the 'S' than they wish they saved the money....that says nothing about the many that are perfectly happy with an amazing base model
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

True love.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

This makes me feel so much better about overpaying for a used 991.1 S. These are so hard to find here in Canada, especially with a MT.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
To what end? You'll soon get used to the new "added speed" and then what? If that's your end game - you just need to get a TURBO now No shame in that by the way (or a #2 car) Either will get you more low end power but #1/#2/Turbo all have very different characteristics and neither the #2 or Turbo can give you the character of your GTS.
Disagree.
With the .2 GT3, You get more torque and speed than a 991.1 carerra , while still keeping the instant response and the sound of an NA engine. A Turbo is a completely different experience.
You'll also get a far better gearbox, the 6 speed with proper low gears, or PDK-S which is 10X better than regular PDK.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:54 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 481 Posts

None of us NEEDS a sports car, so it is crucial to find one that stirs your soul. For some it’s the sudden torque boost of a Turbo, for others it’s top down driving. You sound a lot like me; I’ve had numerous 991.1s trying to figure out what it was that I wanted. Convertibles, Turbos, etc etc. I finally came to conclusion that NA cars made the driving experience fun for me, obviously that’s your thing too...so congrats on finding your sports car place in the world.

PS...whatever you do, DO NOT drive a GT3 or RS...more trading in of cars will ensue.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:40 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Disagree.
With the .2 GT3, You get more torque and speed than a 991.1 carerra , while still keeping the instant response and the sound of an NA engine. A Turbo is a completely different experience.
You'll also get a far better gearbox, the 6 speed with proper low gears, or PDK-S which is 10X better than regular PDK.
I'm not sue what you are disagreeing with exactly....
Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm not sue what you are disagreeing with exactly....
Lol. I misread the post before yours. I though he was talking about getting a GT3, not GTS.

Quick Reply: Crazy 3 Months (991.1 to 991.2 and back to 991.1)