Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)

Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Found this video.

However it isn't clear from what I am reading whether this requires removal of Satellite Radio. I want to add this without sacrificing anything.

The Naviplus guy didn't seem to think it was an issue but they are in Australia so probably don't know what satellite radio is.

I did read it isn't compatible with DAB which uses the same interface as SAT. However the Naviplus people didn't say DAB would be affected either.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Has anyone with Android Auto gone ahead and tried this? I'd love to see a video of it in action to confirm it works before going forward.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Nice write-up, but you lost me at Step 3, followed by "now open your PCM"...

I'll keep the 3.1 as an incentive to get a new car.

DaveGee
Bingo!
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’d like to have Apple CarPlay, but not enough to dismantle my PCM. Factory PCM 3.1 does everything that I need anyway.

Great tutorial!
Yeah nicely detailed and I did something similar to add updated Navigation a few years ago to my e92 BMW M3 using some new OEM parts and re-wiring and programming from a connection between a guy in Poland and my laptop in Tx but that was as far as it went. Not sure I am ready to dismantle my PCM even out of warranty just for Apple CarPlay. PCM 3.1 does everything nicely including stream my music wirelessly or whatever I am playing from my iPhone X. I'm good but hey great job to those willing to go that extra route!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just tried this and removing the Sirius board caused audio to stop working.. any ideas? i might need to jam both of them in there, but its tight and need longer risers.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:16 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by element
I just tried this and removing the Sirius board caused audio to stop working.. any ideas? i might need to jam both of them in there, but its tight and need longer risers.
Ouch. Another reason to just go the aftermarket upgrade route vs this. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 AM
Kayvan1347
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Ouch. Another reason to just go the aftermarket upgrade route vs this. Hope you get it fixed.
hi
anyone bought his Apple car play from AliExpress? Are you happy with it? Any comparison between the different kits?
They claim they have the wireless version now!!
Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’d like to have Apple CarPlay, but not enough to dismantle my PCM. Factory PCM 3.1 does everything that I need anyway.

Great tutorial!
Im with you. When your PCM goes **** up after the factory flashes something or updates the system...what's do you say about the self installed PCM Android/Carplay update? Don't think PCNA will look at that one favorably. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Im with you. When your PCM goes **** up after the factory flashes something or updates the system...what's do you say about the self installed PCM Android/Carplay update? Don't think PCNA will look at that one favorably. Just a thought.
That's a big if, and highly unlikely that any new firmware would render this box unusable given how it is integrated. You're just changing around ribbon cables to overlay new video inputs.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Integration Circuit Board

Originally Posted by koala
That's a big if, and highly unlikely that any new firmware would render this box unusable given how it is integrated. You're just changing around ribbon cables to overlay new video inputs.
What goes on in the CarPlay installation kit is very simple and not that complicated. The installer is basically installing the “intergration board” in series between the display/bottom piece of the PCM using ribbon connectors to the mother board. There is ZERO medications to the PCM circuitry. Plus the kit provides a harness loom that connects in series to the OEM harness to the back of the PCM. The kit is designed so there is no need to cut or modify the PCM. It’s a simple add on. The install is fully reservable. The only disclaimer made by the manufacturer/vendor is cutting the seal on the PCM. Firmware upgrades are installed on the CarPlay system and not the PCM, so there is no evidence of the installation unless the PCM is removed and inspected.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:57 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kayvan1347

hi
anyone bought his Apple car play from AliExpress? Are you happy with it? Any comparison between the different kits?
They claim they have the wireless version now!!
Thanks
Purchase the one from NM Automotive so that you have better quality service & support. https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

What goes on in the CarPlay installation kit is very simple and not that complicated. The installer is basically installing the “intergration board” in series between the display/bottom piece of the PCM using ribbon connectors to the mother board. There is ZERO medications to the PCM circuitry. Plus the kit provides a harness loom that connects in series to the OEM harness to the back of the PCM. The kit is designed so there is no need to cut or modify the PCM. It’s a simple add on. The install is fully reservable. The only disclaimer made by the manufacturer/vendor is cutting the seal on the PCM. Firmware upgrades are installed on the CarPlay system and not the PCM, so there is no evidence of the installation unless the PCM is removed and inspected.
That's one of my points...if the PCM is ever removed or there's a fault in the system which requires them to inspect or pull the PCM; all you guys are likely toast as PCNA likely won't take kindly of guys pulling and opening and modifying their precious PCM 3.1s They'll easily be able to see it has CarPlay if they mess around enough with the system in a model that isn't supposed to have it as an OEM function. That in itself may draw further interest that reveals the modification in question. How often are the techs directed to pull this part or that in a repair effort to ship back to Germany for eval. Seen it happen with Porsches and BMWs alike before. So yes it works and its great until it doesn't (no-one knows the long term reliability of this mod either...what testing has been done? Long term?) so its something that I applaud for those of you who just MUST have CarPlay or Android Play equivalent...but one I wouldn't do myself. Cutting the seal on the PCM voids out the warranty right there according to 3/4 of my old Porsche service advisors I asked...personally and off the record liked the integration effort and said it seemed to work great but officially the mod requiring one to open the PCM and physically modify it even adding a circuit board (non Porsche made - isn't it Chinese - yeah their stuff always lasts doesn't it? LOL) was one that each said would have them/PCNA voiding out their warranty at min for that piece and neither said they could CPO a car that had this done either. Just food for thought gents. Hope it is as reversible and trouble free as you guys hope!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

There are guys adding.100-200 HP to their 991.2's. Its all about your personal tolerance for risk.

​​​​​Most 991.1's are either out of factory warranty or on their way to that point soonish.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

That's one of my points...if the PCM is ever removed or there's a fault in the system which requires them to inspect or pull the PCM; all you guys are likely toast as PCNA likely won't take kindly of guys pulling and opening and modifying their precious PCM 3.1s They'll easily be able to see it has CarPlay if they mess around enough with the system in a model that isn't supposed to have it as an OEM function. That in itself may draw further interest that reveals the modification in question. How often are the techs directed to pull this part or that in a repair effort to ship back to Germany for eval. Seen it happen with Porsches and BMWs alike before. So yes it works and its great until it doesn't (no-one knows the long term reliability of this mod either...what testing has been done? Long term?) so its something that I applaud for those of you who just MUST have CarPlay or Android Play equivalent...but one I wouldn't do myself. Cutting the seal on the PCM voids out the warranty right there according to 3/4 of my old Porsche service advisors I asked...personally and off the record liked the integration effort and said it seemed to work great but officially the mod requiring one to open the PCM and physically modify it even adding a circuit board (non Porsche made - isn't it Chinese - yeah their stuff always lasts doesn't it? LOL) was one that each said would have them/PCNA voiding out their warranty at min for that piece and neither said they could CPO a car that had this done either. Just food for thought gents. Hope it is as reversible and trouble free as you guys hope!

You make very valid points and I agree with you as long as the vehicle is under warranty breaking the seal on the PCM would void the warranty. I’m making the assumption that most who had the CarPlay kit installation likely have vehicles where the warranty expired.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Mbial
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Mixing With Factory Radio

Can you listen to FM radio and still interact with CarPlay at the same time? Id like to listen to the FM tuner while looking at Waze on the screen and still hear the navigation voice from Waze. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mbial
Can you listen to FM radio and still interact with CarPlay at the same time? Id like to listen to the FM tuner while looking at Waze on the screen and still hear the navigation voice from Waze. Thanks!
The system will allow audio from the FM stations, but no audio from Waze. Waze will be fully functional, the alerts still pop up on the PCM display minus the Waze sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)