Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT Any 991 owners w a previous/current X5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 02:56 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default OT Any 991 owners w a previous/current X5?

Off topic I know, but I figure a lot of you guys must have some experience with this car. Looking a t a new '17 X5 sdrive (2wd as we live in central coast CA).for about $10K off sticker for the wife as a daily driver. Any thoughts, recommendation or especially unsavory experiences. Thanks.

Jim
Old 10-07-2017, 07:01 PM
melocotton
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my ‘14 X5 m sport 40d last month. It was a great car for sure, mine was fully loaded with nearly all options. Never had any issues with it, very reliable.
What do you want to know about it exactly ?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by melocotton
I just sold my ‘14 X5 m sport 40d last month. It was a great car for sure, mine was fully loaded with nearly all options. Never had any issues with it, very reliable.
What do you want to know about it exactly ?
Thanks for the reply. Mainly just info on build quality, major issues etc. I am looking at 2wd with the tt 6 cylinder gas engine. I had a German auto mechanic tell me once BMW turbos tend to go bang at about 70K miles, so I guess things like that.

J
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Thanks for the reply. Mainly just info on build quality, major issues etc. I am looking at 2wd with the tt 6 cylinder gas engine. I had a German auto mechanic tell me once BMW turbos tend to go bang at about 70K miles, so I guess things like that.

J
Can’t help you specifically with the X5 as I don’t own one. However I have many friends that do and they have found them to be reliable and a couple are repeat buyers of them. I do own an X3 and that car has been bullet proof. If I was considering an X5 I wouldn’t hesitate to get one based on my knowledge of the model and the brand. The X5 offers a lot of utility IMO. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 PM
melocotton
AutoX

Well, build quality is pretty high as it is a premium SUV ofc, nothing wrong about it. Mine was 4wd, I don’t know how 2wd goes, but afaik the engine will be the smaller one on 2wd right ? Engine you ll get might be underpowered for the weight of the car, so don’t expect exceptional performance though.
Regarding reliability, BMW has a high build quality, I don’t think you’ll get any issues if you stick to maintenance schedule. There is no reason to have issues even with high mileage too. I had several BMW and never had turbo issues either.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

We have had 3 so far, 10 X5M, 13 X5 5.0 and 17 5.0. Best SUV in segment IMO. Mine were trouble free but they have an issue with oil cooler running after car is off to keep the turbo's in the middle V cooled. That coupled with battery that only charges when you are coasting leads to need to replace battery about every 3-4 years. Covered under warranty if it happens in that time frame. The Ac condenser can also go bad, other wise great truck. Recommend the diesel or the V8 for adequate power, 6 cylinder is lacking in power and agility
Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 131 Posts

No digital speedo and an analog dial that was impossible to read. Couldn't wait to get back into a Cayenne. On highway at speed I was constantly steering to correct the direction. A bad choice... get a Macan which is my DD.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like our '12 x5d, a lot.

60k miles without a problem. Used to perform a variety of tasks.
Comfortable, fast, and still good looking. Great gas miles; best 27mpg. Simply amazing for a 5200 lb car. Gobs of low end torque.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2012 X5 35d today as my daily driver. I’ve also had a 2012 X5 35i in the past as well. I like it quite a bit,but agree they tend to be under powered unless you go with the 8cyl or the M car. I’ve had quite a few other BMWs,and this isn’t the case with others. The power to weight ratio is the one problem here. Try an extended test drive to make sure this won’t bother you. Otherwise, I’m sure you’ll love it.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by jingber
No digital speedo and an analog dial that was impossible to read. Couldn't wait to get back into a Cayenne. On highway at speed I was constantly steering to correct the direction. A bad choice... get a Macan which is my DD.
I had the wandering steering on my 2011 535. Between that and the inability to drive the car from a start smoothly, it has scared me off BMW's. Sales person that works for me has a 2013 X5 35i with same exact driveability issue.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:23 AM
melocotton
AutoX

I guess you mean you couldn’t properly read the digital one, not the analog, right ?
Well mine was equipped with analog dial so I can’t tell for the new digital cluster introduced in MY ‘15 if I’m correct.
I don’t know what was your problem with steering, but usually when it happens it is related to a bad setup of your wheels angles. Did you ever try to fix it ? Mine didn’t had this problem, even at very high speed (>200kmh on German highway where there is no speed limit).
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

4 years, 48k and none of that.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4

J
I ordered my wife’s 2017 X5 and we absolutely love it. Extremely well built. Comfortable. Fast. Peppy, even in Comfort mode. Great daily driver, superb highway cruiser. Harmon Kardon stereo is excellent, and has wireless Apple Car Play.

Only possible negative - the AC is barely acceptable, but we’ve grown accustomed to it. A sunshade for front windshield really helps. Despite that, I’d buy it over again.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

We have a 2008 V8 Sport with a bit over 120K miles and a 2012 Diesel with about 42,000 miles.

I don't think we'll ever buy another one. The 08 has been a great car, very few issues, still runs beautifully, quiet.

The 2012 was amazing in that it showed how much content BMW was taking out of the car in order to save $. The rotor hubs rusted in weeks (and they will on a new one too), the strut holding up the rear floor was gone, sound deadening was missing, the little hooks to hold your grocery bags were gone, the passenger door has rattled since day one (and still does), the dealer blamed us for bad fuel when it clearly turned out to be a BMW fault (which BMW fixed after much angst and months of delay at another dealer). It runs well now (with a lot of rattles) but I hold my breath.

Suffice it to say I think BMW has put far too much focus on profit over quality and it shows. We rented a new one and I could just feel it.

I would get her a Cayenne or a Macan. I've given BMW the benefit of the doubt and believe they once made great cars but not anymore. An E39 M5? In a heartbeat. A new M5? No thanks.

BTW the MB nav system blows BMW's away.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts

We have a 2016 X5 35 xdrive

Actually hate it. The a/c is aweful, Bluetooth sucks with IPhone 7, have also had a few other minor issues.

Cayenne is a a much better choice, as is the Macan. The new Audi A5 is also worth considering.

Quick Reply: OT Any 991 owners w a previous/current X5?