Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of making a change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

No one needs to justify wanting more, or not wanting more, power. If you like mega fast cars cool. It's not for anyone to understand why, or necessary for you to explain it.

i think the 991 TT is a phenomenal looking car. I love a lot about it.

for me, I am not a huge fan of pdk type transmissions with turbo lower revving cars, but that is personal.

as a manual fan, I love having my weekend car in a manual. I get to scratch the itch when I want, and not when I don't.

that said, maybe the pdk does it for you. If you go used it probably wouldn't cost *too much* to try it. Especially if you buy in winter and if necessary, sell in summer.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I would never buy a car with PDK. total snooze fest. I have two turbos and I'm starting to realize that the power is only rarely usable. That also goes for GT3s and its handling. You'll never touch its capability on the street.

I honestly think the boxster spyder/GTS is the best model in porsche's lineup. Thoughts on those?

Originally Posted by Michael_s
That thing hurts my eyes. Wouldn't be caught dead in that horrific thing. Can't even call it a 911.
settle down.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 17 corvette grandsport ?

Having driven one of these they are damn fast (even around corners) It is a shame the interior still looks like a chebby.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Lexvan is a wise prophet. GT3 would mean basically my wife would never join me for a real ride. She indulges all of my crazy Porsche desires without ever complaining
LOL, I get that!

Funny story. I traded my .1GTS in early June for a GT4. Wifey had graciously ridden in the GTS whenever I suggested we take it on a mutual trip, but mostly we drove her ML350 because she just likes it so much better. The GTS was my final attempt to get a 911 that we both liked and could take anytime we went somewhere. Alas, it was a failed experiment -- too tame for me, too wild for her.

So anyway, our anniversary was last week. She didn't get me a gift (totally cool with that) so when we headed out to dinner (3 miles away) she said, "I've never been in your new Porsche. Here's your present. Let's take it to dinner."

I said, "Okay, if that's your present to me, we're going all-in. I'm pushing the exhaust, Sport, and shock-absorber buttons." She laughed and agreed.

So we motored sedately up to the restaurant with me raucously throttle-blipping every downshift. She graciously smiled and said it was a nice car and she likes the "suede" interior bits and the red 12:00 stripe on the wheel.

I suspect she'll never get in it again.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:05 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Loft23
Why would anyone need a car that goes 0-60 in under 3s? I love the turbo don’t get me wrong, but our cars are ridiculously fast as is. I’m only 500 miles into my 18 991.2 C2S wondering if I should have gotten a GTS or something faster. Without even unleashing the car, since still in the break in period, it’s so easy to get yourself in trouble. Nick Murray and others have said that the base and S models are the best because it allowed the average owner to push it while it’s difficult to see the full potential of the higher end models. I guess it’s good to know that your car can potentially be bad *** in the right hands...
Originally Posted by Dennis C
You're right, nobody needs that. But nobody needs a car that goes 0-60 in under 4s like your new C2S. Either choice is ridiculously fast.

For me, it was about much more than the acceleration figures. I like the whole package of upgrades. The TTS comes standard with many of the features that are optional on the other models, and they are mostly features that I want.

It's quite nice that Porsche offers so many variants of the 911. There's one for every taste!
Originally Posted by Bemo
Don’t know this dude but he gives sage advice!
Hell - who NEEDS a car that goes to 60 in under 4 seconds like the #1 car - or even under 5 seconds really? Remember when 5.5 to 60 was respectable? even a 6 second to 60 sprint is reckless driving on the street in most instances... just sayin'.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:08 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I would never buy a car with PDK. total snooze fest. I have two turbos and I'm starting to realize that the power is only rarely usable. That also goes for GT3s and its handling. You'll never touch its capability on the street.

I honestly think the boxster spyder/GTS is the best model in porsche's lineup. Thoughts on those?
Agreed - The Spyder is my favorite Porsche in the lineup. Wife insisted on back seats and I did want to experience the "911" thing because it's the icon - objectively though the spyder ticks my boxes a lot better.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

settle down.
Ok, maybe I got a little carried away... the bling on the wheels are not for me and the front/rear scoops/wing a but much... but not totally terrible. (but not good either)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

If you're willing to give up your (and my) beloved MT, then why not cast your net further afield?

A couple of folks who went to the Turbo S commented on two things;
1. Car didn't seem visually new because the interior was so similar to their previous 991.
2. Everyday driving was a little jarring because of the sheer power (especially in manual mode).

Something different would be an R8.

PS. Just read your latest back seat requirement response..
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by duxsi
If you're willing to give up your (and my) beloved MT, then why not cast your net further afield?

A couple of folks who went to the Turbo S commented on two things;
1. Car didn't seem visually new because the interior was so similar to their previous 991.
2. Everyday driving was a little jarring because of the sheer power (especially in manual mode).

Something different would be an R8.

PS. Just read your latest back seat requirement response..
The only car with a back seat that would possibly compare to a 911 is a Lotus 400s. Also - the ride is more compliant and the suspension is superior.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Went from a 2013 4S to a Turbo. Petrified i would miss the manual but i have not. Also, can run with the GT3 and RS at the track. I have owned a manual Porsche since 1984, still have an 88 911 that i purchased new and i love the PDK.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

A lot of good input here, and not here to argue with any of it. Here's mine: If you like MT and wide-body 911s, and are open to the 991.1 Turbo, I'd strongly consider a 991.2 4 GTS or C4S—especially if you can get a discount.

You get wide body, extraordinary handling, and the engine is a lot more "NA-like" in terms of delivery.

Fwiw, I found the 991.1 Turbo to be excellent but also one of the bigger yawns a bit too much of the time.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I've been suffering a similar dilemma, I have a C4S (but with a PDK) and keep getting tempted to stretch the pocketbook for a Turbo S. So for OP, here are some thoughts I've had on the questions you have posed.

I've always liked speed and walked my way up through sport bikes until I had a BMW S1000RR, another amazingly fast machine. It was the quickest sport bike in the world and I just loved it, both for the quickness and the ego trip of it. To me there is a big difference between quickness (acceleration) and speed (velocity). You can have quickness without abusing speed too badly. Like several others here, I understand liking to have acceleration on tap that I don't need. The Turbo S is the most affordable way I could get that. And I do like the ego trip of having one of the best cars in the world with my 911... I wouldn't mind adding one of the fastest to the ego-trip list as well. I doubt there are many of us here where ego doesn't play some part of owning these cars. There's nothing wrong with that. We've worked hard to get here.

As to PDK I'm big on the "to each his own" thing. Personally, I'm of the belief that a PDK is only "boring" if and when you choose to make it so by driving in automatic (typically in stop and go traffic). Otherwise you still get to make your own gear choices albeit sequentially. It no longer have the rare missed shift and I gain very measurable quickness with the rapid-fire PDK shifts. Did I mention I like quickness! I personally can't see giving that away... I'm paying a lot of money for a faster car and this makes it even faster with very little additional cost. I was a manual guy all my life until the PDK, but I don't miss pushing a pedal to the floor to make the shifts I decide to make.

On a more practical note, I don't think there is any way I would get my wife to take and Hill Country or longer road trips in a GT3 with me and I really do like having her come along at times when I'm not driving more "sportily". My C4S is about as noisy and firm as she can stand, and this is somewhat due to back problems she has at times. She also likes to be able to converse and I'm already somewhat hearing impaired. I'm pretty sure she would be just fine in a Turbo.

One final note. As Dennis states, I learned with sport bikes that taking a speed backwards in power is really tough to do. In all honesty all of my cars have felt somewhat slow since the S1000RR. One of the reasons I haven't even driven a Turbo or Turbo S when it was offered was because I didn't want to feel all of that power before I was ready to buy one. And like Dennis says, I doubt I would easily be able to step back from it once I did.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:05 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I owned a 2013 991 PDK. It bored me so I sold it in 2015. I ordered a 2015 991 GTS with 7Speed MT. I am a very happy camper. Make a change if you NEED IT. I NEEDED to get rid of the PDK since all theprevious Porsches I owned were MT. I expect to be unable to drive within 8 years as I am 73. I have a 13 year old friend who has expressed an intense interest when he is 21. I will take him up on it if he proves his worth through college as I expect he will.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

OP, I just sold my '15 TTS for an '11 Turbo 6MT. In short, if this is mainly going to be be your daily driver, the 991 TTS will be great. And it's beautiful to boot. I posted in the 997 forum that it's basically a light weight Panamera and great as an every day comfortable, super fast car.

I know you've already owned previous TTs but I love the blend of old and new in the 997.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not a 991.2 GTS? It'll have a lot more poke and still get a manual transmission?

Quick Reply: Thinking of making a change