Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough drivetrain clattering ONLY upon initial/cold driving & odd scenario....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Rough drivetrain clattering only when cold & driving uphill. Anyone else have it?

When first starting my car for the day (engine/drivetrain cold), and pulling out of my garage, I have to drive up a moderately slanted hill to get to the first stop sign (I maybe get to about 20 MPH). During this slight uphill load to the drivetrain, I get this metallic/shuddering/clattering sound that even transmits enough of a feeling into the cabin that I have to let off the gas because I'm afraid of breaking something. If I accelerate hard and "push through," the car shakes it off and pushes through it. It is definitely not lugging the engine, and the car is in first gear the whole time.

It ONLY happens when the car is FIRST being driven, and going uphill. I.e, if I start the car for the day and drive on even roads, I wouldn't even know the "issue" (if it is an issue and not "normal") exists. It's so uniquely dependent upon being this EXACT scenario (first drive of the day, immediate uphill drive) that if you've never turned your car on and driven uphill, you wouldn't even know if your car exhibits said characteristic. Once I've driven it for about 30 seconds (that's all it takes) the car no longer will do it and will go uphill normally. Also, the amount of time I let the car idle has no effect whatsoever. How quickly it goes uphill and then how long it's been driven after is all that determines when it'll happen, and when it'll stop happening.

Anybody ever notice this or have an idea of what it should be? It's the WEIRDEST thing. Otherwise, the car runs and performs like brand new. 2012.5, 18K miles, C2, PDK, S/C.

Last edited by K-A; 02-20-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 PM
K-A
Drifting

Anyone have any ideas before I take it to the dealer and get the classic “we can’t duplicate?”
Old 09-26-2017, 08:47 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it happens every time , perhaps a video would be possible?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by teambell
If it happens every time , perhaps a video would be possible?
Yeah been meaning to do that. I’m just hoping it picks up the sound right.

Btw, I was coming out of a much steeper driveway than mine today, while the car was warm, and while at a steep angle (to avoid scraping) I felt this odd sensation in the brakes. Like I can feel some part of the drivetrain flexing and pulling as the chassis was at said extreme angle. Could it be common that maybe something down there that holds the transmission in place gets loose?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

So I still haven’t taken it to the dealer for this. It seems to happen randomly. Always when cold, and always at a light to moderate gas input. I took a video, and if you listen closely, you can hear these little “pop/creak/clatter/shudder” sounds. It sounds more metallic in real life. It goes away very quickly when it does happen, but it almost feels like the transmission wants to drop out while it’s happening. Other than that brief and occasional hiccup, the car drives flawlessly.

Any my idea on what it could be? Anyone else has this exact issue? Want to be prepared for the dealer as I’m sure this one won’t be “reproduce” friendly.
Attached Files
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Search for "Public service warning from Lexvan".
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtony
Search for "Public service warning from Lexvan".
Argh, you got me excited there for a second. Thanks for the reply but definitely doesn't have to do with tires.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
the drivetrain (seems the trans maybe?) gets very clattery/jarring/shaky/grinding. If I give it a lot of gas (which I did as a natural reaction the first time I felt it), the car seems to shake it off.
Sounds normal, if you are speaking about the GT3! Not normal for the C2 or C2S.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Sounds normal, if you are speaking about the GT3! Not normal for the C2 or C2S.
Interesting! In that case, I’ll just deal with it and consider it the PGT3CTS [“Porsche GT3 Cold Throttle Shudder”] option. Value: $5K.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

Wanted to share this video I took. The sound is a lot more metallic in person, but this gives an idea. I have to literally let off the gas because it starts clattering and shaking so much. Feels like something is loose almost.

Again, odd thing is it seems to only happen after I make a steep left (at an extreme angle as I have to do) from a driveway onto a street, ONLY when I first drive the car for the day and the car is cold, then it doesn’t do it at all after that one instance. I can hear a little bit of that grating metallic sound for a couple minutes while it warms up, but the shaking and actual affect to the drive is only for a second, until I get to the first stop sign. Otherwise drives perfectly.

Will take it in of course, but would like to be as prepared for their “cannot replicate” stuff as possible.

EDIT: Whoops, just scrolled up and realized I already posted another video of it before, lol.

Guess I’ll just have to figure it out when I take it in. Or if it sounds familiar to someone, please chime in.
Attached Files
Old 12-13-2017, 12:12 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this noise with my 2017 GTS as well. For me when I pull out of my garage and make it to the first stop sign traveling at 35km/hr, the car feels like it is in 2nd gear (PDK) and then when it shifts from 2nd to 1st gear I get that metallic grinding noise. Once the car has warmed up and even at the next stop sign, it disappears. I plan on bringing this up at the first scheduled appointment next year. For me it definitely feels like the tranny.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by nav991.2gts
I have this noise with my 2017 GTS as well. For me when I pull out of my garage and make it to the first stop sign traveling at 35km/hr, the car feels like it is in 2nd gear (PDK) and then when it shifts from 2nd to 1st gear I get that metallic grinding noise. Once the car has warmed up and even at the next stop sign, it disappears. I plan on bringing this up at the first scheduled appointment next year. For me it definitely feels like the tranny.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Does the car also kind of shake/tremble while it’s doing that? Seems to be the same as what I’m experiencing.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I used to get that noise leaving the office garage, right after startup on a cold engine/trans, while going up the first couple of ramps. Perfectly normal as I understand it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something with winter coldness & tranny lubrication? I suggest idle it for about 5 minutes after cold start and see if it happens again.

PF
Old 12-14-2017, 03:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Churchill
I used to get that noise leaving the office garage, right after startup on a cold engine/trans, while going up the first couple of ramps. Perfectly normal as I understand it.

Interesting. Did you just hear it, or did it also make for a rough and clattery drivetrain feel while it was happening?

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Something with winter coldness & tranny lubrication? I suggest idle it for about 5 minutes after cold start and see if it happens again.

PF
For me, it isn’t temperature dependent, just depends on if the car itself is cold starting and if it has to climb a slight hill upon first acceleration onto a street. I’ve idled it for minutes and it still does it. Then it goes away immediately. It doesn’t even bother me much if it’s something that’s considered normal, as I know sports cars have certain quirky and crude (as they should) nuances that’s part of their charm. But my main holdup in regards to taking it in is how I imagine it won’t be easy for them to replicate if the conditions aren’t “ideal” to make it happen.

Quick Reply: Rough drivetrain clattering ONLY upon initial/cold driving & odd scenario....