Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best $120 spent on the 911 yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I guess I'm somewhat of a contrarian. I can see clear side markers as preferable on some exteriors (including the OP's), but not all. With my night blue exterior and yellow calipers, I like the look of the amber side markers; I felt the clear would look washed out.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Note the orange side (turn signal) markers on the early car.

Somewhere in the garage I think I have the original red ones from my 78 SC that I replaced with European spec orange ones, purely foe aesthetic reasons of course!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
I guess I'm somewhat of a contrarian. I can see clear side markers as preferable on some exteriors (including the OP's), but not all. With my night blue exterior and yellow calipers, I like the look of the amber side markers; I felt the clear would look washed out.
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the amber markers. Its funny, back in the day, it was common to replace the red markers with the European amber markers.

Now if I can just figure out how to make the rear indicators flash amber...
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
Originally Posted by quattroboy
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the amber markers. Its funny, back in the day, it was common to replace the red markers with the European amber markers.

Now if I can just figure out how to make the rear indicators flash amber...
I'm with you two. For instance, I've preferred the orange US markers on Guards Red cars since the 996 days (they blend in better than clears do), and actually like them because they stand out on some colors—so long as they aren't fighting with a colored caliper and/or a full-color crest. Then it just gets messy. I friend had an Irish Green GT4 and the orange side markers looked GREAT against the dark green in a very vintage way...until you saw the yellow PCCB calipers and it was just one color too many. Clear side markers fixed that. On the other hand, there are plenty of cars where I don't like the US markers. It's very car-dependent.

I really wish you could option black calipers no matter what brakes you have for a small fee. It isn't 1992 anymore.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Does these markers normally get covered by the PPF?
I am having it installed by the dealers guy before picking up the car. Wondering if I need to get them to the salesman before the car arrives.

No, PPF does not go over the marker.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 AM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suncoast delivery came in today and I quickly swapped them out. I also washed the car in the garage with optimum no rinse and spray wax.
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

The best way to spend your next $20 is eBay painted key sides.
The best way to spend your next $200 is cocomats to replace the cheap factory mats.
Then another $200 for the lid liner.
It never ends...
(I'm not complaining--I spent last weekend Rejexing my winter wheels.)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I'm with you two. For instance, I've preferred the orange US markers on Guards Red cars since the 996 days (they blend in better than clears do), and actually like them because they stand out on some colors—so long as they aren't fighting with a colored caliper and/or a full-color crest. Then it just gets messy. I friend had an Irish Green GT4 and the orange side markers looked GREAT against the dark green in a very vintage way...until you saw the yellow PCCB calipers and it was just one color too many. Clear side markers fixed that. On the other hand, there are plenty of cars where I don't like the US markers. It's very car-dependent.

I really wish you could option black calipers no matter what brakes you have for a small fee. It isn't 1992 anymore.

+1 zombie green calipers on a Cayenne was kinda cool the first time, but on 911s, the calipers shouldn't be the star of the show
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

For those who register their cars in the state of Pennsylvania, a yellow reflector and a yellow light at the front is required to pass the annual safety inspection (yes, it's in the regulations). Unfortunately, the clear replacement side markers satisfy one requirement - yellow light/bulb - but not the other - yellow reflector.

Most inspection stations are ignorant of or ignore this requirement. I was unfortunate enough to find one that strictly followed the rules - my local Porsche dealer. Luckily I had kept the old yellow side markers and was able to drive home and replace them - a real PITA - so the dealer could complete the inspection. As the dealer is nice enough to do the state safety inspection for free, next year I'll just have to remember to swap the side markers beforehand.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
For those who register their cars in the state of Pennsylvania, a yellow reflector and a yellow light at the front is required to pass the annual safety inspection (yes, it's in the regulations). Unfortunately, the clear replacement side markers satisfy one requirement - yellow light/bulb - but not the other - yellow reflector.

Most inspection stations are ignorant of or ignore this requirement. I was unfortunate enough to find one that strictly followed the rules - my local Porsche dealer. Luckily I had kept the old yellow side markers and was able to drive home and replace them - a real PITA - so the dealer could complete the inspection. As the dealer is nice enough to do the state safety inspection for free, next year I'll just have to remember to swap the side markers beforehand.
BUT!!!! PA has no requirement for a front license plate, so you have a bigger advantage over most states!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
BUT!!!! PA has no requirement for a front license plate, so you have a bigger advantage over most states!
Yup, and that's the only reason why we decided not to move to Virginia! Also, it's good for at least 1.5 MPH higher top speed.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 PM
sik_sd
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer threw in (and on) the clear markers as gift for purchasing the car. At the time I didn't even know they existed, their idea. Even though it is only $120ish retail, much less at their cost, I still thought that was a nice gesture. Audi gave me a coffee mug.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe these are $120 for a 991 vs $44 for a 997.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
I can't believe these are $120 for a 991 vs $44 for a 997.
The $44 ones are not LED.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

Make it 4 of us. I really like how the stock amber lights add a touch of color on my GT Silver C2. Maybe we should be grateful that the US is now full of low cost, like-new amber replacements.

Quick Reply: Best $120 spent on the 911 yet