Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Steering feel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Only a racing kart steering will feel like driving a racing kart. My personal experience ranges from a SCCA Spec Racer (and if you have never driven/"steered" a single seat race car, you should know that no street car comes close--and be glad it does not) to a variety of sh*tty end members (like helping a friend move a beat up, high mileage Winnebago).

I love the steering on my 991.2 C2. I want it to be intuitive and responsive, with "some" amount of feedback--not too much, like a race car or kart. And my car provides just that. Besides, with a balanced performace car, half the steering is done with the right pedal.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Only a racing kart steering will feel like driving a racing kart. My personal experience ranges from a SCCA Spec Racer (and if you have never driven/"steered" a single seat race car, you should know that no street car comes close--and be glad it does not) to a variety of sh*tty end members (like helping a friend move a beat up, high mileage Winnebago).

I love the steering on my 991.2 C2. I want it to be intuitive and responsive, with "some" amount of feedback--not too much, like a race car or kart. And my car provides just that. Besides, with a balanced performace car, half the steering is done with the right pedal.
^ Agree.

I remember the first time I drove a 986 back in 1996 or early 1997. Its steering was a revelation compared to my 914's—at the time I felt like the 986 system filtered out all the white noise and left me with just the signal I needed. I didn't feel that way about the 993 Turbo I drove back then, and yet another drive in a 964 last week reminded me that those who moan about 981/991 steering feel really ought to go drive a 964 (any 964, with or without power-assist).

If the 991.2 isn't quite as "feelsome" as a 997, it ain't bad—and I can still feel what I need to in order to go very quickly with a high degree of accuracy and confidence. And it's more responsive and more precise.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz

^ agree here also. My holy grail was a '09 BMW 535i RWD sport package. Great steering with the hydraulic rack, but it's gone. The 911 is responsive and provides perfect control in transition on curves. Nice weighting too. I avoid AWD systems if possible on my fun cars to keep the front end simpler and more responsive- but that's just my theory. Others may think differently.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
. From center position to about 5-7 degrees either way, the steering wheel feels like it is floating on air; light and without any discernible response in the front wheels up to this point then it gets progressively heavier and more responsive as the wheel is turned. .
Unless you're talking about a PSP car in a parking lot or really slow speed turns, that sounds odd. I test drove two .2 911s and I could feel the quicker steering in them than my .1. Very similar to my Spyder. And none of them have that kind of play in them.

Then again, none of these cars are going to feel like a go kart.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
My experience may be a little different since I'm in a .1 car but I noticed a bit better feel after I lowered my car. ?
I had a e90 m3 a few years back and when I lowered it I experience a very similar change in terms of steering feed back.

The 991.2 steering is a bit numb but has a perfect steering ratio and is very precise. I am content with it because I'd rather have that then the opposite..

Question here is.. Who has coilovers on a 991.2 and feels a difference in steering feel?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Steering feel?