Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak/chirp from the back seat area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Squeak/chirp from the back seat area?

991.2 Coupe with sun roof. Car has about 5500 miles. There is some sort of squeak or chirp coming from the back seat area and is bump related. For awhile we though it might be some electronic noise through the speakers but it is not that. It does not seem to be the back seats because if I reach back and hold them I still get the noise. Anyone else dealing with this? Next step before going to the dealer is maybe put my wife in the back seat area and see if she can pinpoint the sound better.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Glass or steel sunroof? I had a little noise or chirp ( 991.1) with my glass sunroof several times in the last 3 yrs. Each time I open the SR, put some sillycone on my finger and lube the rubber all around where it seals. Each time the noise went away for a year. Try opening the sunroof and go for a drive. If the noise is gone, that's where it's coming from. As my service rep said that's just the way it is, and they would do the same thing if brought in.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:30 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Glass. Thanks I will try your suggestions.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a squeak/chirp coming from the passenger side rear area. My wife is 5'2" and can sit back there but was unable to pinpoint it. The best she could ascertain was that it was the rear window or the little window behind the B pillar or maybe the sunroof. Not much to go on with that data... It fires on bumps and is also especially likely to happen when the car is turning left and going uphill (as in climbing up the levels in a parking garage). I haven't attempted to get it resolved yet.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Its the back panel corner on the passenger side right under the rear window. i have the same sound and the plastic is flimsy there
Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltdodge
Its the back panel corner on the passenger side right under the rear window. i have the same sound and the plastic is flimsy there
Agree, I think. My wife got in the back and pressed on the little side window and presto, no squeak. She let go and so far no squeak. I am sure it will come back but just pinpointing the squeak is 95% of the battle. You can actually move that window in and out a small amount so it has room to squeak.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a chirping/squeaking sound that got progressively worse over several hundred miles. Went to the dealer and the service writer found the panel at the base of rear window had worked loose. It's a friction fitting so he gave it a couple good hits and it popped back into place. No more chirping!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all who offered advice. Very much appreciated!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:38 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Squeak has come back much worse than before. Scheduled with the dealer for a fix.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:11 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Squeak has come back much worse than before. Scheduled with the dealer for a fix.
Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday morning. Got a Cayenne loaner. Dealer called later letting me know that they will need the car at least over the weekend to find the noise, and they also noticed the water pump was weeping some fluid so they will replace that. Well at least they are paying close attention!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday morning. Got a Cayenne loaner. Dealer called later letting me know that they will need the car at least over the weekend to find the noise, and they also noticed the water pump was weeping some fluid so they will replace that. Well at least they are paying close attention!
Interesting. My squeak has gone away in the past couple of weeks. I had a vague sense that it was temperature related - i.e. more likely when the car was parked somewhere warm. It's been a bit cooler here recently esp. in the parking garage at my office downtown - but we're both in Seattle so that ruins that theory.

Please post with any updates!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdodge
^^^This was also the case with my car at 900 miles on the ODO. When I took it in for the fuel rail recall they fixed it and remarkably it is still gone at 7000mi !
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Good feedback, appreciated. Had an appt with the dealer here in Scottsdale for the same issue, then like a moron I missed it. I'll try fiddling with the r/r window trim/ and panel fitment in the morning. The squeak is on a '14 4S, , 7900 miles and no sunroof. The chirping showed up a couple months (80 miles) back when we had several weeks of 110+ degree heat and high humidity.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Finally got my car back after a week at the dealer. Turns out it was the top left rear strut mount. Reading through the notes, they spent a lot of time on the car. First they thought it was a motor mount and took that off and still had the squeak. Then they took out some inner panels and still had the squeak. The strut was the third thing they checked. All this seems to have involved removing a lot of stuff to do the testing. Also they found a weeping water pump so replaced that which also seems to involve a lot of work. The car has a bit over 6,000 miles and I have had it for 17 months. All warranty work so no charge to me. Judging from all the work they ended up doing on the car, having it a week is understandable. Glad to have it fixed!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

No need for a new thread - and this one is not quite a zombie yet, so...

Finally got my car back after a week at the dealer. Turns out it was the top left rear strut mount. Reading through the notes, they spent a lot of time on the car. First they thought it was a motor mount and took that off and still had the squeak. Then they took out some inner panels and still had the squeak. The strut was the third thing they checked. All this seems to have involved removing a lot of stuff to do the testing. Also they found a weeping water pump so replaced that which also seems to involve a lot of work. The car has a bit over 6,000 miles and I have had it for 17 months. All warranty work so no charge to me. Judging from all the work they ended up doing on the car, having it a week is understandable. Glad to have it fixed!
I'm in Vegas this whole week (AWS re:Invent) and so the dealership has my 991.2 C4S all week long. It's there for the X51 powerkit retrofit (can't wait!) but I also mentioned the chirp/squeak and hoped that they could take a look at that issue while they've got the car. I also mentioned that for your car they had determined that it was a strut mount. I assume we're both working with the same dealership in Bellevue, because they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Ever since this thread went dry, the squeak has continued to be very inconsistent for me - sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's fine. I thought it maybe it was just sensitive to the weather. I have discovered, however, that I could easily reproduce it by driving with a passenger in Sport+ mode at low speed up/down a steep incline or sometimes simply by turning sharply at low speed. I suspect that in Sport+ everything is tightened up due to the stiffened suspension/PDCC/dynamic engine mounts and vibrations aren't as damped out.

Anyway, today my wife relayed the fact that they are "ordering a part" for the problem but she didn't have any other details. I hope that means they're on the right track. I can't wait to get back to Seattle and see how it all turns out, but, hey, at least it's not raining in Las Vegas. I'll post an update later.

Quick Reply: Squeak/chirp from the back seat area?