991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak/chirp from the back seat area?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:26 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

TL;DR good news, it's fixed and it was the strut mount.

The most interesting thing is that they seemed to focus on looking for "outside influences" first - in other words ruling out stuff that would make it my fault, and not theirs.

They initially suspected the installation of my rear camera which I attached to the rear glass with some (removable if you have a solvent) 3M adhesive tape. I ran the wire along the edge of the glass and tucked it up along side the interior cover panels so it isn't visible. They had to first verify that I hadn't caused the issue screwing around with the interior panels. They apparently pulled the interior apart - and if that had fixed it I suspect it was going to all be my fault. Fortunately, I didn't screw anything up too badly installing the camera (except they found some scuffs) and eventually they moved on to finding that the real issue was a strut mount assembly problem from the factory. Anyway, they ultimately did the right thing and now the squeak/chirp is GONE.

Here's the report from the dealer's service dept:

NOTE: INTERIOR SCUFFS FROM AFTER MARKET CAMERA INSTALL, CAMERA IS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE NEAR C-POST. CONFIRMED CUSTOMER CONCERN. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND VERIFIED NOISE FROM RIGHT REAR OF THE VEHICLE. RETURNED TO SOP AND INSPECTED SUSPENSION NO OUTSIDE INFLUENCES FOUND. REMOVED INTERIOR AND ROAD TESTED, FOUND THE NOISE WAS ONLY HAPPENING WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS LOADED, UNABLE TO REPLICATE ON THE RACK. DETERMINED THE ISSUE IS THE STRUT ON THE RIGHT REAR. REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH NEW, INSTALLED NEW STRUT MOUNT WHEN APART. DURING DISASSEMBLY THE SPACER RING AND THE TOP OF THE STRUT WAS WEDGED BETWEEN THE BUMP STOP AND THE STRUT. NO HISTORY OF STRUT REPLACEMENT, NO WITNESS MARKS ON THE MAIN STRUT MOUNT BOLTS AND STRUT BOLT. DETERMINED THE ISSUE WAS FROM THE FACTORY. ASSEMBLED AND INSTALLED STRUT, ALIGNED VEHICLE AND CALIBRATED ALL ELECTRONICS. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE TO VERIFY THE NOISE IS GONE BEFORE ASSEMBLING INTERIOR. ALL OK AFTER ROAD TEST, INSTALLED ALL REMOVED PARTS.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I think my car has similar sound. I noticed it before buying the car, however thought it might be interior trim rattling, which I could fix easy. Never imagined it might be the suspension.

Anyone mechanically minded know what it takes to replace the strut mount? Does the interior need to be disassembled? Scared to take the car to dealer...they always give me a hard time and sometimes make it worse.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:24 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a rear squeak as well... not so much of a problem with the windows open. i will ask my dealer to take a look when it's next in and report back
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I couldn’t hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin factory.......

Love that movie.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 AM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I had squeaks and chirps from the rear passenger side of my 991.2, every time I hit a small bump or rough surface. Told the dealer when I took it in for HPDE inspection, and they fixed it. A trim clip was not properly in place.

Last edited by dsh; 07-03-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

dsh:

I has a similar issue with my previous 991.2. Took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the rear seat belts. The noise was very noticeable when going through bumps or in rough surface just like in your case. My noise was metallic....
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM
minthral
Pro

Mine is at dealer and they determined bad driver side strut mount. It's getting fixed tomorrow.

I sense a trend here...

The noise is really obvious loud squeak when turning hard or rough unlevel pavement or a random chirp when cruising. Really annoying and hard to track down.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

My local dealer couldn't help. Had a X51 power kit installed at another dealer and asked them to fix my drivers side back squeak. Turns out it was the seals on the drivers rear window which is fixed. They suggested buying a special spray and spraying the interior seals when it happens again. It's come back a little, but the spray helps. This is what the SA sent me:I spoke with the technician and it sounds super simple, like it can be done at home without any tools. The part number for the lubricant is 000-043-305-97. It was originally designed to lubricant the seals and such in the steering racks of Macans, but it’s an aerosol lubricant that works well for window seals as well. What you’d do is apply the spray to both the outer rubber seal on the exterior of the car as well as towards the bottom of the window/seal on the interior. Just wipe off any excess and you should be good to go. Let me know if there’s any other information you may need, as I’m glad to help in any way I can. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:13 PM
call911s
Rennlist Member

Raising this one from the dead…did we ever determine what the chirping was coming from the driver’s left ear in the back seat? Just picked up a 2013 S Cab and hearing the same thing. It’s like having an annoying cricket riding behind me whenever I go over the smallest bump in the road…
Old 12-01-2023, 08:38 AM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by call911s
Raising this one from the dead…did we ever determine what the chirping was coming from the driver’s left ear in the back seat? Just picked up a 2013 S Cab and hearing the same thing. It’s like having an annoying cricket riding behind me whenever I go over the smallest bump in the road…
Sold my car a long time ago for various reason, but here are some tips.

There are 3 different sources:

- The strut foam mount thing sounds rubber rubbing glass/metal and can be loud if it’s dry and turning in a parking lot. Going straight it can make some sounds similar to below.

- The small rear glass windows have a rubber seal and the window has a lot of play in and out as per IMO poor design. This seal rubs against metal or the glass and overtime dries/wears out. Worn dry seal + glass with play = cricket and bird noises into your ear. Dealer can replace glass panel as fix as it comes with seal…replacement is a real pain because everything around the door must be removed. Lubricant was tried many times and didn’t work and it was determined to be a worn out seal causes by excessive play. Time bomb waiting to happen in all these cars with a stiff suspension, rough roads, and many miles.

- Inside the seat is a mechanism including a spring for the should area latch that pulls seat up to gain access to the rear seat. There is a spring that will make noises. Solution is to spray lubricant down the hole inside the latch/seat.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:45 AM
minthral
Pro

The window sounds more like creaking and rattling. What helps is to apply pressure on the rear side panel so it pushes on the rear window and it doesn’t move. When dealers attempt to hear sound they’ll have someone in back seat possibly pushing on it so they won’t hear it.

For some time I had child seat to push against it as a workaround.

Washing car a lot and in dry garbage doesn’t help and makes sound worse.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:59 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Try bucking the seatbelts in the back and see if the chirp goes away.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:54 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

I had dealer in the back seat area numerous time and the C pillar was the culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeak/chirp from the back seat area?