Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Wheels: Paint or Powdercoat to Match Factory Satin Platinum? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1024646-wheels-paint-or-powdercoat-to-match-factory-satin-platinum.html)

phx991 09-10-2017 12:14 PM

Wheels: Paint or Powdercoat to Match Factory Satin Platinum?

I recently purchased a 2017 C2, which has the 20" Carrera wheels in silver. I'd like to change the color to match the factory satin platinum as shown in the example below.

Is powdercoating to match possible? If it is, would that be better than painting?

Would I need to purchase new center caps or can the existing ones be painted as well?

Anyone do this on their 991 and have positive results as far as matching the factory color and durability?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c45733cdfb.jpg

triplekg 09-10-2017 03:56 PM

if you are painting or powder coating all of them the colour doenst have to be the exact same...

okbarnett 09-10-2017 05:06 PM

the color under the powder coat is just the same paint as any auto paint. It is the same base coat as the normal paint. So you can have them match to your cars code, or any code. If you want a eye match just take a sample wheel. They can match or a auto paint store can match the base. The powdercoat over the top will be clear.

Dennis C 09-10-2017 05:12 PM

The wheels in the photo appear to be darker than the car's paint. It doesn't look like a match to me.

NoGaBiker 09-10-2017 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis C (Post 14466939)
The wheels in the photo appear to be darker than the car's paint. It doesn't look like a match to me.

When he says "have it painted to match the factory Satin Platinum" he's saying he wants to paint the wheels a factory wheel color, which is called Platinum Satin (ob5). Nothing to do with the Porsche silver body paint color called Platinum. Platinum Satin is the color the GT car wheels are painted (if you don't opt for the Satin Black option.)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2c59cfdb87.jpg

NoGaBiker 09-10-2017 05:40 PM

By the way, phx991, getting Platinum Satin is harder than it looks. Here's the thread I started when on the same quest a couple years ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9182...b5-wheels.html

phx991 09-10-2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 14466967)
When he says "have it painted to match the factory Satin Platinum" he's saying he wants to paint the wheels a factory wheel color, which is called Satin Platinum. Nothing to do with the Porsche silver body paint color called Platinum. Satin Platinum is the color the GT car wheels are painted (if you don't opt for the Satin Black option.)

exactly

phx991 09-10-2017 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 14466973)
By the way, phx991, getting Platinum Satin is harder than it looks. Here's the thread I started when on the same quest a couple years ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9182...b5-wheels.html

Thanks. Those look lighter in the pics than the factory color. Are they did the same as in the pic above?

I can can live with a slightly different shade of dark silver/gray, but I was thinking I would need to buy a new set of Porsche center caps and match the paint to the caps.

NoGaBiker 09-10-2017 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by phx991 (Post 14466992)
Thanks. Those look lighter in the pics than the factory color. Are they did the same as in the pic above?

Not sure which you are saying look lighter -- do you mean the CLs on my 991GTS, as pictured in my avatar to the left? If so, you may not have read the thread I linked -- I opted to go with GT Silver for the wheels to match the GT Silver car. I basically gave up on trying to find someone to paint the wheels ob5 (platinum satin). In the end I was super glad I went with GT Silver, but that's another story.

By the way, I just stuck a picture of my Platinum Satin (ob5) wheels (on a GT4) in the post above.

I can can live with a slightly different shade of dark silver/gray, but I was thinking I would need to buy a new set of Porsche center caps and match the paint to the caps.
Fortunately, I had CLs so no center caps per se; the CL nut is anodized black and meant to stay that way no matter what color wheels you have. But yeah, with conventional 5-lugs nothing looks more Pep Boys than mismatched centercaps.

Dennis C 09-10-2017 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 14466967)
When he says "have it painted to match the factory Satin Platinum" he's saying he wants to paint the wheels a factory wheel color, which is called Platinum Satin (ob5). Nothing to do with the Porsche silver body paint color called Platinum. Platinum Satin is the color the GT car wheels are painted (if you don't opt for the Satin Black option.)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2c59cfdb87.jpg

Oh, okay. Thanks for that clarification. I obviously thought he was trying to match the body color.

okbarnett 09-10-2017 06:53 PM

you paint the caps too

phx991 09-10-2017 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 14467038)
Not sure which you are saying look lighter -- do you mean the CLs on my 991GTS, as pictured in my avatar to the left? If so, you may not have read the thread I linked -- I opted to go with GT Silver for the wheels to match the GT Silver car. I basically gave up on trying to find someone to paint the wheels ob5 (platinum satin). In the end I was super glad I went with GT Silver, but that's another story.

By the way, I just stuck a picture of my Platinum Satin (ob5) wheels (on a GT4) in the post above.

Fortunately, I had CLs so no center caps per se; the CL nut is anodized black and meant to stay that way no matter what color wheels you have. But yeah, with conventional 5-lugs nothing looks more Pep Boys than mismatched centercaps.

Yes I meant the car in the avatar, but now I realize you went with GT Silver.

I’ll probably order the center caps in satin platinum, and vist a few body shops to see if they can match the color. I considered buying new wheels, but it’s over $6k for the set.

MJG911 09-11-2017 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by okbarnett (Post 14466934)
the color under the powder coat is just the same paint as any auto paint. It is the same base coat as the normal paint. So you can have them match to your cars code, or any code. If you want a eye match just take a sample wheel. They can match or a auto paint store can match the base. The powdercoat over the top will be clear.

umm,, not really. maybe a hybrid mix of liquid and powder, but powder is all powder and isn't mixed like paint. You would have to find a matching powder to what you are looking for, or have one custom blended, which can be pricy. Places like Prismatic Powders have 1000s of colors though, and if you bought the platinum center caps, you could probably match a powder color to them. If not, they could make it, but once again, it could be pricy. And yes, I know of which I type. I have owned a very successful custom powdercoating business for 13 years.

phx991 09-11-2017 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by MJG911 (Post 14467665)
umm,, not really. maybe a hybrid mix of liquid and powder, but powder is all powder and isn't mixed like paint. You would have to find a matching powder to what you are looking for, or have one custom blended, which can be pricy. Places like Prismatic Powders have 1000s of colors though, and if you bought the platinum center caps, you could probably match a powder color to them. If not, they could make it, but once again, it could be pricy. And yes, I know of which I type. I have owned a very successful custom powdercoating business for 13 years.

My concern with powder coating is it requires baking between 300 and 700 degrees. At the upper end of that temperature range, aluminum allow tends to transform into a more brittle alloy.

MJG911 09-11-2017 01:58 AM

it bakes between 340 and 400 at the most, unless its a special high temperature powdercoat. I never cure wheels above 380, nor would any other powdercoater. 700 is close to what my burnoff oven runs.