Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ordering question - leather interior

Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Another ordering question - leather interior

I posted a thread yesterday with my order specs and received some recommendations to consider upgrading from the base interior to the full leather interior. I was trying not to do that to control costs but of course now I find myself considering the upgrade.

I like both the graphite blue/chalk combo and the black/luxor beige combo. A couple questions please:

1. Does the chalk color end up looking dirty over time? It is pretty light and concerns me a bit. Anyone with it have any feedback on that? Also what exterior colors have people paired with this combo that looks best?

2. My salesman told me they discontinued the full beige interior because of some issues with glare or reflection. The black/beige combo has black up on the top of the dash and the beige is down lower. Is it correct there are no glare issues with this combo?

3. On the configurator both these appear to come with some deviated stitching along the doors and upper dash area. It it correct that some deviated stitching is included without selecting the additional deviated stitching option that is an extra cost? I understand it would not be all the areas that you could get deviated stitching on.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Highly recommend full leather,....yes, a bit expensive but well worth it.

For the two interiors you mention deviated stitching IS included and again, really looks "special".

The blue/chalk would probably need a little extra effort to keep clean, just the nature of the lighter color, but most people have no issues and really like the combo. Not too many exterior colors match it though,....Chalk, Blues, White, Silver

The black/luxor beige combo looks good with just about anything, but better with some. Personal choice.

Either should not have any glare issue.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:41 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

If you go with the chalk interior, minimize the wearing of blue jeans in the car. Denim is colored with a dye, and on hot days when your legs are sweaty or if the jeans are damp it will cause a dye transfer to the leather that will be noticeable on that light grey as you will see a bluish tint. Because its a dye, it cannot be removed from the leather, once its discolored, its permanent. Different brands of jeans leech dye at different rates, some brands are more colorfast than others.

I'm in the leather furniture business and deal with this all the time on furniture, its very common to see it on lighter hides.

Last edited by drcollie; 09-09-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Stalking you OP! Posted on your other thread too.

Had full Luxor beige before and it does have a bit of glare. I have seen the black/beige combo in person and it looks pretty nice IMO.

Have full leather on my current ride including the dash with red deviated stitching. As mentioned above the red deviated stitching is great touch. If you have the cash consider the full leather.

Agree with Dr. Collie, jeans will bleed onto lighter color leather and in my experience with other cars lighter color leather shows dirt more easily. Chalk would be a nice contrast with your sapphire blue exterior so it maybe worth the extra trouble to keep it looking nice.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:48 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you go with the chalk interior, minimize the wearing of blue jeans in the car. Denim is colored with a dye, and on hot days when your legs are sweaty or if the jeans are damp it will cause a dye transfer to the leather that will be noticeable on that light grey as you will see a bluish tint. Because its a dye, it cannot be removed from the leather, once its discolored, it permanent. Different brands of jeans leech dye at different rates, some brands are more colorfast than others.

I'm in the leather furniture business and deal with this all the time on furniture, its very common to see it on lighter hides.
Interesting thanks. Is there a leather protectant of some sort that will prevent this? Sort of like a scotch guard for leather or something?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:51 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Highly recommend full leather,....yes, a bit expensive but well worth it.

For the two interiors you mention deviated stitching IS included and again, really looks "special".

The blue/chalk would probably need a little extra effort to keep clean, just the nature of the lighter color, but most people have no issues and really like the combo. Not too many exterior colors match it though,....Chalk, Blues, White, Silver

The black/luxor beige combo looks good with just about anything, but better with some. Personal choice.

Either should not have any glare issue.
Well I had decided on Sapphire Blue... but if I swap to the blue/chalk interior I am not sure if goes with the Sapphire but maybe the darker blue.

All this choices sure make it difficult! I work out of the Atlanta airport which is 5 minutes from PEC Atlanta. I noticed when I was there doing a driving experience they have a design center but I am not sure what they do there. I wonder if I can go there and lay eyes on samples of all these combos? Will call them Monday and see what they offer.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have leather topcoat protectants in my store, however I'm not sure if they would be effective over time in preventing dye transfer to light leathers, they are mainly designed to be dirt and hand oil barriers. If you want to pursue this, call Pamela at Leather Solutions International in North Carolina. Tel (866) 875-7446. Pam is probably the smartest person I know on leathers. She trains the industry and develops repair products for hides. If there is a barrier product for dye transfer, she will know of it.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:16 AM
dmaxwellh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the full beige interior in my 911 and the glare is pronounced. A black dash would certainly eliminate this problem. Deviated stitching is nice, but certainly very expensive. This used to be exclusive, but today many cars come with deviated stitching as standard. My GMC Canyon came with a soft-touch dash panel, red stitching accents, and real aluminum trim.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Just as important if not more important than the leather conditioner/protectant is cleaning the leather.

A professional detailer recommended the Meguiar's general purpose cleaner and I use it. It works!! Regular cleaning is the key to keeping your leather looking like new IMO. This is the step most people skip or get lazy on. Of course you condition after cleaning.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I posted a thread yesterday with my order specs and received some recommendations to consider upgrading from the base interior to the full leather interior. I was trying not to do that to control costs but of course now I find myself considering the upgrade.

I like both the graphite blue/chalk combo and the black/luxor beige combo. A couple questions please:

1. Does the chalk color end up looking dirty over time? It is pretty light and concerns me a bit. Anyone with it have any feedback on that? Also what exterior colors have people paired with this combo that looks best?

2. My salesman told me they discontinued the full beige interior because of some issues with glare or reflection. The black/beige combo has black up on the top of the dash and the beige is down lower. Is it correct there are no glare issues with this combo?

3. On the configurator both these appear to come with some deviated stitching along the doors and upper dash area. It it correct that some deviated stitching is included without selecting the additional deviated stitching option that is an extra cost? I understand it would not be all the areas that you could get deviated stitching on.
Thanks!
Scott,

1, Any light color will show more dirt and grime over time. That doesn't mean it's dirtier that black. It just shows up more. There are plenty of products that will clean your interior whether leather or "leatherette." Either material is very easy to clean. Among the best and cheapest is Woolite mixed 1-3 in water. So, get what you want!

2. Beige is not discontinued but you will see a warning on the online configurator regarding light colors. There was a class action suit over glare. Porsche settled it by buying complainants sunglasses. That should tell you about the severity of their claims. Search here and you'll see threads on it.

3. The two-tone leather interiors come with deviated stitching across the top of the dash and doors which you can see on the configurator. You can also order addition deviated stitching but don't need it.

Well I had decided on Sapphire Blue... but if I swap to the blue/chalk interior I am not sure if goes with the Sapphire but maybe the darker blue.

All this choices sure make it difficult! I work out of the Atlanta airport which is 5 minutes from PEC Atlanta. I noticed when I was there doing a driving experience they have a design center but I am not sure what they do there. I wonder if I can go there and lay eyes on samples of all these combos? Will call them Monday and see what they offer.
Sapphire Blue is a striking color and I often get stopped with compliments. But if you love the blue/chalk interior, go with the darker blue.

If you go to the design center, you won't need to ask these questions here. They will show you every possible combination on a big screen and will also have samples of everything. Sapphire blue in the sun:

Here with the Black over Bordeaux leather. You can see the stitching on the dash and doors.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Scott,

1, Any light color will show more dirt and grime over time. That doesn't mean it's dirtier that black. It just shows up more. There are plenty of products that will clean your interior whether leather or "leatherette." Either material is very easy to clean. Among the best and cheapest is Woolite mixed 1-3 in water. So, get what you want!

2. Beige is not discontinued but you will see a warning on the online configurator regarding light colors. There was a class action suit over glare. Porsche settled it by buying complainants sunglasses. That should tell you about the severity of their claims. Search here and you'll see threads on it.

3. The two-tone leather interiors come with deviated stitching across the top of the dash and doors which you can see on the configurator. You can also order addition deviated stitching but don't need it.

Sapphire Blue is a striking color and I often get stopped with compliments. But if you love the blue/chalk interior, go with the darker blue.

If you go to the design center, you won't need to ask these questions here. They will show you every possible combination on a big screen and will also have samples of everything. Sapphire blue in the sun:

Here with the Black over Bordeaux leather. You can see the stitching on the dash and doors.

As I suggested in the other thread, this is a striking combo.
Any light colored seats are harder to care for. I had an '87 Carrera with full linen leather. Ugh. No thanks.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Scott,

Looks like a great combo.
On the configurator there are no listings for pure beige interiors. My salesman said it was discontinued after the glare issue. Now they do have the black/beige combo and I am pretty seriously considering that. Im pretty confident I want to stick with the Sapphire which kinda rules out the chalk interior. Liking this look.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Looks like a great combo.
On the configurator there are no listings for pure beige interiors. My salesman said it was discontinued after the glare issue. Now they do have the black/beige combo and I am pretty seriously considering that. Im pretty confident I want to stick with the Sapphire which kinda rules out the chalk interior. Liking this look.
If you go with two tone like this, consider steering column casing in leather with deviated stitching ($610ish) (if you haven't already). Stupid expensive but you can see it every time you get into the car and it's a very nice look. Plus, if you drape your hands over the steering wheel, you're touching leather and not plastic.
I think a full leather interior makes sense in a 6 figure car, though many others will disagree.
Porsche knows how to print money (yours).
Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keadog
If you go with two tone like this, consider steering column casing in leather with deviated stitching ($610ish) (if you haven't already). Stupid expensive but you can see it every time you get into the car and it's a very nice look. Plus, if you drape your hands over the steering wheel, you're touching leather and not plastic.
I think a full leather interior makes sense in a 6 figure car, though many others will disagree.
Porsche knows how to print money (yours).
I keep seeing people mention the steering column leather. When I went and drove the car this week I looked at it specifically. I am 6'3" and like to sit with a recline and the wheel raised pretty much all the way up. When I was sitting in the driving position I could not even see this part of the column. Maybe it is just the way I sit.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I keep seeing people mention the steering column leather. When I went and drove the car this week I looked at it specifically. I am 6'3" and like to sit with a recline and the wheel raised pretty much all the way up. When I was sitting in the driving position I could not even see this part of the column. Maybe it is just the way I sit.
You can't see it when you're driving. From outside (or getting in), it sets off the dash deviated stitching very nicely. But it is pricey. I like it for the reasons above.
Remember, this option is Eduardo Approved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another ordering question - leather interior