991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions re Used 991

Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

991.1 prices have been strong in the past year. There are many instances of 2016 pre-owned purchases being lower than reported prices paid in summer to fall 2017. It's like being on GTX list and driving a car for free.

997.2's have also been flat.

So for the OP, if you do it right you could drive for a low low cost.

But the real fun is not worrying about all that and enjoying the drive. Life is short, you can't take it with you.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Obviously you can understand the need to consistency and being thorough
Oh, sure, but HFS can be a bit rough if you don't know the rules, and I didn't want Jus2626 to get discouraged if he overstepped there. I've seen several newcomer faces get punched. OK, granted, dkmesa deserved his facepunch, since complaining about pfbz's polite request for better quality car posts was out of line, but I've seen a few get it who shouldn't have. We were all noobs once.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
My advice is to not settle for colors or options that aren't perfect to save a few bucks. You'll forget about the money, but having the wrong car will gnaw on your soul forever.
I'm the poster child for this, but I think you have to take into account budget as well. I don't know what Jus2626's budget is, or how much of a strain getting the car is for him. Sometimes the color / options you want just aren't available in your price range, period, and you have to settle.

Case in point: my wife wants a yellow manual convertible. Actually, it seems recently she's OK with the idea of a coupe with a glass sunroof as an alternative, though I'm not sure if that would stand up to actual ownership.

The least expensive car that fits her criteria on Autotrader is a yellow GTS in Arlington, asking price $108k. Lots of people aren't ready to pay $108k for a car yet. Relax the color, and there are manual cabs available for $70k-$80k, which is more in reach. $30k is more than a few bucks.

We had the money but didn't buy the car anyway... but that's another story.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Carmax has had that lime green 991.1 for at least 6 months. It's original price was 80k or so. Ive been watching it for fun. Seems to be a nice car but the color must be turning people away. BTW I got my 997.2 at Carmax and its been a great car. Bought the Maxcare warranty at same time and with one coolant leak fixed and ignition switch fixed at dealer, I'm already ahead on the price for it. Thanks Mr Dumaro and his Range Rover adventures at carmax!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Case in point: my wife wants a yellow manual convertible. Actually, it seems recently she's OK with the idea of a coupe with a glass sunroof as an alternative, though I'm not sure if that would stand up to actual ownership.

The least expensive car that fits her criteria on Autotrader is a yellow GTS in Arlington, asking price $108k. Lots of people aren't ready to pay $108k for a car yet. Relax the color, and there are manual cabs available for $70k-$80k, which is more in reach. $30k is more than a few bucks.
I think I can help you out here:

http://www.paulscarcare.com/BigSummi...25816B007305CF

$104.9k. I just saved you $3,100 initially and it's also a car that will go "up" in value, not down.

Last edited by Dewinator; 09-19-2017 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Maths are hard
Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Carmax has had that lime green 991.1 for at least 6 months. It's original price was 80k or so. Ive been watching it for fun. Seems to be a nice car but the color must be turning people away. BTW I got my 997.2 at Carmax and its been a great car. Bought the Maxcare warranty at same time and with one coolant leak fixed and ignition switch fixed at dealer, I'm already ahead on the price for it. Thanks Mr Dumaro and his Range Rover adventures at carmax!
Yea I am thinking of going the CarMax route as well depending on the deals I come across. I still have 6 months left on my lease so I am not in a rush and would prefer to find a good deal before making the purchase. Question, how is the pricing on the CarMax warranty and is there a deducible for having repairs done at a Porsche dealership?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:02 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The deductible varies in price but as it goes down the price of the warranty goes up. I chose a 500 dollar one ad that's not a big deal for me and it lowered the Maxcare price to 2300 for three years or up to 70k miles. Car had 24k miles on it when I got it. I don't drive much so that's ok for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions re Used 991