Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Winter Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:47 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Bikerlee- thanks so much for sharing. I think they look great! I love the OEM turbo S wheels but after seeing this think I’ll save mys of some $ and go this route.
No worries, glad it helps with the decision.
As a heads up I was initially quoted $290 at the dealer but once the car was already on the lift the service guy presents me with a bill for $460. Turns out because they are centerlocks they need another tech to sit in the car and push the brake peddle...for another $170! If I had of known I would have just taken them off myself and got them done elsewhere. Already took them off recently to ceramic coat the rims, wasn't difficult to do so not an issue.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Agreed. Your car looks great! I too am a sucker and am on the verge of getting the turbo s winter setup for my GTS as well. Did you order from suncoast or go through the dealer? Did the dealer stock them?

I was originally thinking to just park it for the winter but the more I think about it our NY winters can last through the end of March. That’s just way too long to not drive it!
Thanks! The winters are definitely too long to park the car all winter. I ordered from my dealer (Porsche of Roslyn), which was able to beat Suncoast pricing. The dealer didn't stock the wheels but they got them in about 2-3 days, then the dealer held them for me until I was ready to make the swap this past week.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:09 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Those look awesome!!! I actually prefer the silver look.

Are centerlock wheels hard to swap out or did you have a dealer do it?
Thanks! I also like the silver look too, and especially like having the contrast between the stock black rims in the spring/ summer and the silver in the fall/ winter. I had the dealer swap out the rims. They provided a loaner so I didn't have to wait there. Definitely more expensive than swapping out the wheels myself, but also not as bad as I feared the damage would be ($159).
Old 11-18-2017, 09:11 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Got the 295's on the 12" rim today. Don't look too bad, definitely not as much lip as the fronts but still has a little.

Looks awesome, not nearly as stretched as I had thought/ feared they would be.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:04 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Along almost the exact same path, I installed my winter wheels yesterday. I found a set for sale here on RL from someone a couple hours away from me. We met in the middle so I was able to inspect them before purchase and paid him in cash. I have a 991.2 Targa GTS, he has used them on the 991.1 GT3. They were in excellent condition and at a considerable discount, so I bought them. After buying them, I became nervous because the sizes weren't exactly the same as the Suncoast package of these same wheels. The rears seemed to be the same (including the offsets), but the fronts were 9" wide instead of 8.5". I hoped I would be OK because the winter fronts matched the summer fronts that came stock on the car. I tried calling a Suncoast and my dealer and none of them would express an opinion, but both cautioned me not to install them unless they were exactly what was specified for the car. I couldn't really come up with a reason they wouldn't fit, so I took several picture and video of the clearances of the stock wheels so I could verify everything once they were mounted, and everything looked fine. Alas, one hiccup has emerged. The TPMS sensors seem to not be compatible with my car, so I need to look into swapping them out for the correct ones. I assume they'll have to be taken off the car and dismounted to swap out the sensors, which will eat into my savings. I'll investigate this week.

I'm happy at the different appearance of these compared to the satin black stock wheels. It will be great to swap back and forth between them twice a year to have some variety in the look.

Oh, and it was my first time doing a wheel change on the center locks and frankly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Yes, you need the correct torque wrench and breaker bar ($375 delivered from Tooltopia) and you need the aluminum paste. Other than that it's very straightforward after seeing the process on the one excellent YouTube video and reading about here on RL. I really think the negative views of the CLs here are way overblown, and I love the way they look.

Before...

After...
Old 11-19-2017, 02:09 PM
caritch
Instructor

Well done! Looks great!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by caritch
In case anyone wants to see the bronze OZ CL’s.
They look great!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM
caritch
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM
florre
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good!

I´m so happy i´ve choosed Agate grey on my GTS.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by florre
Looks really good!

I´m so happy i´ve choosed Agate grey on my GTS.
It's a beautiful and timeless color. I'm really happy with it. I'm sure you'll love yours!
Old 12-26-2017, 05:07 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is a long thread w/ a few hiccups in people's posts -
I get my GTS in a few days and its the middle of winter here...

If someone can help me out here with which Winter Tires to go with it woul be a huge help.
I'll leave 2 options up and someone with some knowledge of .2 GTS's Winter setup can reply. It would be GREAT if you have a TireRack Link as well! Especially for option A!

edit: (Both are Centerlocks)

Option A: Using the stock GTS rims from factory.. What are the best Winter Tires for use with the stock rims? What brand and what sizes would be a huge help. There seems to be some back and forth about sizes fitting/not fitting and lip clearance etc... help would be great as I don't mind using OEM rims..

Option B: Buying new Rims and Tires..... Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

My car is a 991.2/2018 - White C4-GTS

Last edited by STKDoctor; 12-26-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM
caritch
Instructor

Do you have centerlocks?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele

Before...

After...
OMG....
Beauty before....beauty after. Also, nice to change it up with some contrast come fall/winter.
Well done.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:00 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caritch
Do you have centerlocks?
Centerlocks yes
Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 PM
caritch
Instructor

I would have used the rims that came with the car (2017 GTS 4 w/ 12inch rear CLs) but I was not confident on the fit of the 295 winter tires for the rear (largest avail) given I had issues with my wife's car when a tire was "stretched" to fit (significant wheel lip damage from road - not curb). I bought a set of OZ wheels for the winter tires. There are others on this site that have mentioned putting the 295s on the 12in rear CLs but I have not seen a picture or heard how it turned out.Name:  photo634.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  400.9 KB

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Winter Tires...