RH Horn Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Romantic911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RH Horn Replacement

Hi
Can I replace my Right horn myself on 991 CS 2013?
Appreciate any help
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

One of mine (I think it was the low pitch) was replaced under warranty last fall on my 2014. The bumper cover needs to come off to gain access. FYI. See if you are still in warranty (4 years and 50,000 miles). Maybe if you're close to the warranty date, they will "good will" the repair. Worth asking, and even elevating to PCNA with a claim number if not happy with dealership's response. Good luck. Not uncommon failure.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Romantic911
Hi
Appreciate any help
Sure, its very accessible after removal of the front bumper cover. If you decide to do it or have the dealer do it, I also suggest you buy the Rennline Grills. After the bumper cover is removed, the grill install took me less than 10 minutes.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 PM
feldgary
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Horn replacement

Originally Posted by Romantic911
Hi
Appreciate any help
Contrary to some opinions you do NOT need to remove the bumper cover. On my 2013 Carrera there are 5 torx screws that fasten the bumper to the body underneath, remove those and pull down the bumper cover to reach in and disconnect the wiring by squeezing the rocker clip on top. Then use a ratchet with long extension to remove the nut holding the horn bracket to the body. Thats it, very simple really. You can see and even access the horns (if your hands are small enough) thru the square holes under the bumper cover at each horn location.
I found however the part number on my car for the low tone horn is #991 635 150 01 and has apparently been superceded to # 991 635 160 01 but the electrical plug in is completely different and incompatible with my wiring. I'm still doing recon to find the right part or adapter? to work.

Update: Adapter Part # 991 612 947 00 has plug at both ends to adapt to updated horn
Horns are now working and LOUD!

Last edited by feldgary; 05-08-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM
rprinz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know which frequency horn goes on which side for a 2013 991? My right side horn (passenger side) is not working, is the right side the high or low freq.?
Old 12-27-2019, 03:28 PM
socalva
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by feldgary
Contrary to some opinions you do NOT need to remove the bumper cover. On my 2013 Carrera there are 5 torx screws that fasten the bumper to the body underneath, remove those and pull down the bumper cover to reach in and disconnect the wiring by squeezing the rocker clip on top. Then use a ratchet with long extension to remove the nut holding the horn bracket to the body. Thats it, very simple really. You can see and even access the horns (if your hands are small enough) thru the square holes under the bumper cover at each horn location.
I found however the part number on my car for the low tone horn is #991 635 150 01 and has apparently been superceded to # 991 635 160 01 but the electrical plug in is completely different and incompatible with my wiring. I'm still doing recon to find the right part or adapter? to work.

Update: Adapter Part # 991 612 947 00 has plug at both ends to adapt to updated horn
Horns are now working and LOUD!
I can confirm. Just replaced mine last night using this method. Took about 30 minutes including raising the car with my quickjack. You need 2x adapter part #991-612-947-00 for the old->updated horn conversion. I'd recommend using an electric ratchet, the bolt holding the horn on is 13mm. The bumper torx screws are T30.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:42 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I had both replace under warranty (CPO @ 90K) when my tech noticed one was inop.

If not much money I would suggest to replace both while you are up there.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:26 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just did this... and pics

Originally Posted by socalva
I can confirm. Just replaced mine last night using this method. Took about 30 minutes including raising the car with my quickjack. You need 2x adapter part #991-612-947-00 for the old->updated horn conversion. I'd recommend using an electric ratchet, the bolt holding the horn on is 13mm. The bumper torx screws are T30.
This, along with @Plenum's info [https://rennlist.com/forums/991/891474-no-horn-2.html] was extremely helpful, so thank you both!

For those thinking about doing this, thought I'd share my experience, as I just did it last weekend. I had no working horn on my '14 (had used it once since getting it, and wasn't really listening for abnormalities, but I seemed that it wasn't really full-throated). Relay was still clicking, and I didn't have a multimeter handy to test the wiring further, so I just opted to replace both horns. At first, I wasn't totally clear about the instructions on pulling down the bottom of the bumper cover. (I used both the square hole and the gap created by pulling down the bumper cover.) Once I figured it out, it was simple. Make sure you have the tools socalva mentions above (as well as the adapters, in addition to the new low and high-note horns). You need a LONG socket extension for the bolt securing the horn (8" is what I used and I don't think anything shorter would have worked). Also a great recommendation to use an electric ratchet. There is not much room up there! Likewise, I used a rhino ramp, and couldn't have gotten the right angle without lifting the front of the car a few inches. (It also helps to have smaller hands/wrists, so me being a petite woman was definitely an advantage.)

The trickiest part for me was reaching the bolt to unscrew the existing horn, and then to replace it when securing the new horn. When you're reaching up from directly under it, the horn is mostly blocking the bolt, so it's hard to see/reach. (But take heart—it's not impossible!) It took me a few tries, but then I got it; I pulled the bumper cover down as much as I could to insert the ratchet extension, as reaching through the square hole didn't get me the right angle to access the bolt... and when installing the new one, I ended up seating the new horn/bracket and hand-tightening the bolt (as much as I could doing all that with one hand, which is all there is room for.), then reached up and used the ratchet/extension to tighten it the rest of the way. It took me a few tries, but ultimately this whole project—even with the learning curve—only took me about 45 minutes. It's one of those things that I could do much faster if I were to do it again today.

Here are a couple of pics in case it's helpful to anyone to visualize what you're going to be dealing with up there.

View of the horn through the bottom square hole in the bumper cover.

The bolt securing the horn bracket is basically straight up, and obscured by the horn. But you *can* reach it, at a square enough angle to loosen it, with a long ratchet.

Quick Reply: RH Horn Replacement