Sponsored by:

Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Dissol
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche

First post, so perhaps some introduction needed.
After a lifetime's wait, I have just realized a childhood ambition, by ordering a new Porsche 911. I came into this world (in Scotland) the same year that the 911 was first released. I now live in South Africa (where we have better roads, and much better weather!).

My order had to be made without any test drives, as I have been a wheelchair user for 17 years. My order (influenced by me being a wheelchair user in some choices, and due here late Nov / early Dec) is:
C2
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Sport-Tex leather interior Graphite Blue & Crayon
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
PDK
Power Steering Plus
Front Axle lift system
Sports tailpipes in black
Sport Chrono Package
19" Carrera wheels
Adaptive cruise control (including PAS)
Lane Change Assist
Automatically dimming mirrors with rain sensor
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
Storage net in passenger footwell.

The adaptive cruise control and reversing camera may sound odd for a 911, but I drive on hand controls and can't twist around.

I am delighted that the base models have gone to turbocharged as I regularly drive from Cape Town (coast) up to Jo'burg (1000miles away, and 2000m high). NA cars lose 17% of their power up there... My Audi A6 feels sluggish, but the VW Scirocco doesn't lose anything up there.

I have always enjoyed driving, and even competed at club level with both cars and bikes. Becoming a wheelchair user and not being able to drive for nearly a year made me appreciate driving even more. So I can barely wait until the 911 arrives! I have owned some interesting vehicles over the years, but always dreamed of a 911. Which also explains the spec; this spec is not for resale value. I plan on keeping this car until either I die, the car dies, or the world runs out of fuel!!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats! Great build! You will love the power delivery of the Carrera.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations! It is very exciting to order your own specifications. I love sapphire blue, you chose well. I can't wait to see some pictures of your interior as I have been very curious about the Sport Tex option.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissol
First post, so perhaps some introduction needed.
After a lifetime's wait, I have just realized a childhood ambition, by ordering a new Porsche 911. I came into this world (in Scotland) the same year that the 911 was first released. I now live in South Africa (where we have better roads, and much better weather!).

My order had to be made without any test drives, as I have been a wheelchair user for 17 years. My order (influenced by me being a wheelchair user in some choices, and due here late Nov / early Dec) is:
C2
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Sport-Tex leather interior Graphite Blue & Crayon
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
PDK
Power Steering Plus
Front Axle lift system
Sports tailpipes in black
Sport Chrono Package
19" Carrera wheels
Adaptive cruise control (including PAS)
Lane Change Assist
Automatically dimming mirrors with rain sensor
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
Storage net in passenger footwell.

The adaptive cruise control and reversing camera may sound odd for a 911, but I drive on hand controls and can't twist around.

I am delighted that the base models have gone to turbocharged as I regularly drive from Cape Town (coast) up to Jo'burg (1000miles away, and 2000m high). NA cars lose 17% of their power up there... My Audi A6 feels sluggish, but the VW Scirocco doesn't lose anything up there.

I have always enjoyed driving, and even competed at club level with both cars and bikes. Becoming a wheelchair user and not being able to drive for nearly a year made me appreciate driving even more. So I can barely wait until the 911 arrives! I have owned some interesting vehicles over the years, but always dreamed of a 911. Which also explains the spec; this spec is not for resale value. I plan on keeping this car until either I die, the car dies, or the world runs out of fuel!!
Nice going
Old 09-05-2017, 05:13 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done, enjoy the forum while you wait...
Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Congratulations! It was almost two years ago that I placed my order for a 911.2 C2s. It was my first Porsche, first sports car, and first 911. Very very exciting, and very happy I did it. Have been enjoying the car immensely ever since as you will too.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the order. I've visited South Africa twice in the last 5 years. One of my favourite countries. It's beautiful, the food and wine are great. The roads are pretty good and weather is fantastic. My only concern with driving a 911 there would be the potential for theft. Hope you live in a well secured area.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Congrats! I think it is awesome that you bought your dream car even with the physical restraints. Nice way to live.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Well thank you all for the welcome. I shall try to answer some of the questions. The spec was carefully researched through the internet, this list, and various YouTube videos. Although the colour was decided on visiting the dealer and seeing a Cayman in the Sapphire Blue. I am sure I will enjoy the power delivery of the Porsche, as even the base Carrera has more power than I am used to (possibly apart from a couple of Range Rovers...but...yeah!). It is replacing a VW Scirocco (read VW Golf GTi in a fancy frock, for US). Nice car, but pushing or beyond the limit for power through the front wheels. But it is not a Sports Car, rather a sporting car, much like previous Mini Cooper, & Toyota MR2 Mk1 (which was a super little car). Have raced various MG's Healey's and a nice (replica) Lotus XI.
I shall certainly photo the Sport-Tex seats. I chose them rather than leather as I hope they don't get as hot as leather, as summer here is often well over 45°C (110°F). Also I hope it will grip me better than leather. Without the use of legs to brace myself, I can have problems sliding in the seat. The lighter interior, I hope will not get too hot. The wheelchair dismantles and I will transfer it across me into the rear (as I presently do with the VW). I had to check this was possible in the dealers.
I shall certainly be reading this Forum and elsewhere while I count the days to delivery.
From my research, I am hoping that the 911 is not a target for being stolen, as the "popular" cars to be stolen tend to be 4x4's and people carriers. Previously (before wheelchair days) I rode a Honda VFR, & I could leave that almost anywhere with the keys in the ignition. South Africa is an amazing, but complicated, country. I live in the winelands (someone has to!!) surrounded by mountains and mountain passes, but my work regularly takes me all around the country, and I am planning to use the Porsche to regularly drive up to Jo'burg, Durban and elsewhere. In fact I ordered the front axle lift as I live on a steep slope on a mountain side. My drive needs to be carefully negotiated in many cars to avoid scraping.
As mentioned, I have always enjoyed driving, but perhaps even more so since becoming a wheelchair user. Using hand controls is no problem, indeed after purchasing my Audi A6, I was invited to an Audi Performance Driving Day at our local race track. Even though I had to drive and risk my own car, I ended up recording the best time in each session. Certainly my plan is to take the new car to the track, to try to explore the limits. I am sure I will get nowhere close on the road!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations Dissol! Yours sounds like a great build with a great color. I'm certain you will enjoy the car.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Congratulations - can't wait to see pictures!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Congrat's and be sure to show pictures when you take delivery.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:23 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Congrats, and would love to see how the 991 adapts to hand controls.

(And no nasties about lack of MT)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Congrats, and would love to see how the 991 adapts to hand controls.

(And no nasties about lack of MT)
I shall be more than happy to report on the use of hand controls. Regarding MT vs PDK, clearly I don't really have an option (although I have heard of conversions that use a lever / trigger for the clutch mounted on the gear stick). But, I think I can speak with some authority having driven and raced different vehicles with either no synchromesh or dog gears, where one had to heel and toe in order to make any progress, and now only driving either automatic or double clutch manuals. I actually find much of the talk silly, while yes, there was a certain level of satisfaction of developing one' technique to the stage where snap gear changes and dancing on the pedals, but then I also raced vintage cars and bikes where you were also busy setting the ignition advance and retard as you drive, along with the mixture. "Real Men" could do all that as they lapped. But then technology moved on, and there was no need to do this (other than in vintage vehicles). Yes, certain skills were lost, as they were no longer needed, and there always seemed a backlash against the out dating of certain skills. But the same seems true of transmissions now. 2 pedal cars have now reached rhe point where they are faster, and more economical that 3 pedal cars. They also seem to be more reliable (I live in a house with a very steep twisty drive, and my wife would get through clutches on a regular basis in the past, never had a single issue with her now automatic cars). My present car, VW Scirocco has the excellent VW DSG (similar to PDK), and learning how to get the best out of it has been great fun. I am looking forward to the same learning process with the new car. I don't feel any less involved, as once you have mastered the required technique for any vehicle, the actual movements, and even gear change decisions become almost entirely sub-conscious. Once mastered, I never had to think "I need to heel and toe here", I did it automatically in every vehicle. I even had to bend the pedals in my old series II Lamd Rover so I could comfortably heel and toe in Wellington boots on the farm!! In fact I ended up replacing the old Landie with a MB G-wagon with automatic transmission which was the most capable and fun off road vehicle I ever owned. Indeed in my dream garage, there would be space for the same next to the Porsche. Together with my old trusty Audi A6 station wagon and I should have about every possibility covered!!

Quick Reply: Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche