Sponsored by:

Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 32 Posts

Best seat in the world. Sunrise over the Karoo in South Africa
Thank you for all the good wishes. I have had the vehicle for less than a week, and already have nearly 2000km on it. The day after I collected it, I drove 1600km from Cape Town to Jo’burg. The car has exceeded all my (extremely high) expectations. It is comfortable, fast, safe, amazing,.. It was an extremely capable vehicle to cover long distances.

I collected Thabo and we had a lot of fun trying to squeeze 2 wheelchairs in. It is possible, but we did put some small scratches on the plastic backs of the seats in the process. We need to work out the packing a little better before the big return trip. So we have found a safe flat area where we can work out what goes where. But we had a moment in the car, when I pulled over and we just sat for a while soaking in the details of the car. We then looked at each other with grins across our faces...

We have some photos and videos of the experience so far, but the “proper” photos and videos will start after we have worked out the 3D jigsaw puzzle, donned our Porsche Martini shirts and caps, and then start the journey South to Cape Town. We think our social media hashtag will be #2paraporsche. We are aiming to leave on either Friday or Saturday morning, and if he is up to it, try to knock it off in one go. Only stopping for fuel. But I need to be sensitive to his needs. He is fresh out of hospital and still in recuperation in many ways. There are delicate personal matters, that he needs to learn how to manage. Those matters will not be videoed for obvious reasons, but it becomes one of the key factors in planning our trip. Hopefully, we will be in Cape Town by Saturday night, and I will work through photos and videos on Sunday. The car, and the passenger are very photogenic, the driver much less so, but with any luck I should be behind the camera most of the time!!

But we haven’t stopped grinning like little kids... This is truly a dream car.

On a more technical view, the hand controls work extremely well, and I shall video the operation of them. Having Entry and Drive was a good option too, as the keys remain attached to my chair at all times. The adaptive cruise control is another great option. Driving long distances can be hard on your hands, but the ACC helps enormously, one has to be brave and let the car brake, but it always does. Front axle lift is also another option I could not do without. I have a steep drive, but also there are many steep speed humps around the country. Apple CarPlay works so well; reading and allowing me to dictate replies on various platforms. Have to still work out all the music input side of things (but I am sure Thabo will do much of that on the long trip. Seems odd that I can listen to music / podcasts via Bluetooth from my iPad until I plug my phone in and initiate CarPlay. Not sure if we can move media from iPad to Jukebox etc.

The car itself is simply stunning. Delighted with Sapphire Blue (I had not seen a 911 in this colour when I ordered). Delighted with the crayon / chalk interior (although dirty whee;chair wheels leave a mark...). The Sports plus seats are perfect for me. The engine and PDK gearbox... where to start? For a “base” model, I cannot envisage myself ever thinking “I need a bit more power” on the road. The gearbox is magic. It has to be magic; as it can read my mind. Yes, I can step in and use the paddles, but the gearbox left to itself is incredible.

I am trying (really, really trying) to keep the revs below about 4000, until I have at least 5000km on it (possibly next week, at this rate!). So I haven’t explored Sport, Sport+, or Sport Response... I did hit the button once, to see what happened, but will refrain from that until I have changed the oil for the first time, as the revs shot around to 6000, and it felt I had just unleashed some sort of nuclear device!! But I can’t see, that I could want anything more from the powertrain. If anyone wants to try to tell me that the base C2 is not enough, or that somehow “real motoring” needs a manual gear change, then I will only be able to laugh.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Seems my car is popular with the fairer sex too?!

Beautiful child.

Trying the vehicle out for size.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 AM
Pietro23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best wishes to you and your son. You guys are a true inspiration. I know you guys are making and will continue to make amazing memories in your 911. God bless.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:15 AM
Dissol
Advanced

2000km. This car continues to amaze and enthrall me. Complete strangers give me a thumbs up, or shout “love your car!’ across the street. Am at a client today and one of the key people was admiring the car, and then suggested that perhaps I was charging too much if I could afford a 911 as a company car / daily driver. My answer was to point out I have been saving for 40 years for this vehicle! (Well, 38 to be precise!). It works as a daily driver. The axle lift is essential when I have to visit the construction sites.

Tomorrow, we will have a practice pack, to see if we can fit 2 wheelchairs, 2 sets of luggage, and then my son and I into the vehicle. It is going to be tight but manageable. Then we will set off either early Friday morning or early Saturday. The drive up took me 14 hours, but I think Thabo may need more stops on the way back down. Ideally, I like to arrive in daylight. The last little stretch we have a choice, either a long (4km) tunnel (Huguenot tunnel), or a fabulous mountain pass (Du Toit’s Kloof pass). That particular pass is so good that Porsche used it in their “class reunion” video:
. No guessing which route I would prefer. The pass finishes in the Paarl valley, which is where I live. I can see the pass from my house.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 AM
Dissol
Advanced

We made the journey with much hilarity and a certain amount of emotion. We managed to fit one wheelchair into the frunk, and then the other (with our bags) on the back seats. Which meant we would be sharing one wheelchair between us, if we were to stop on route... But it gets more complicated, as if we stop, I (as I have a bit more practice) can reach the frame and wheels from the back seat, and lift them out over me, and reassemble the chair outside my (driver's) door. I then leave Thabo in the car, while I go off in his wheelchair (mine fits better in the front) and do my business. But then I come back to the car, for Thabo's "turn". But I transfer from the wheelchair into the driver's seat...leaving the chair on the wrong side of the car for Thabo (passenger)...so I have to pull the car forward and then reverse the car on the other side of the wheelchair so it is in reach of the other door. Then Thabo can get out and do his business!

Two into one... well one in the front, and one on the back seats...
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

This is so, so good.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Dissol! Amazing story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck to you and Thabo!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Pinger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dissol - I'm not sure how I missed this thread over the last few months, as I surf Rennlist relatively often. What an incredibly inspiring story - my heartfelt congratulations to you for realizing your lifelong dream of owning a 911. Words can't describe how much I admire your spirit and resilience in the face of the adversity both you and Thabo have experienced. Your posts made my day!

I share your passion for Porsches, and for South Africa. I spent a couple of years in South Africa in the late-90's doing my Master's degree (Stellenbosch, not far from you in Paarl, with some time in Pretoria) - somehow, that country and its wonderful people got into my DNA. All the best to you and your family - and enjoy that 911!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Default #2paraporsche

Many thanks indeed for the wishes. Coming from discerning Porsche enthusiasts causes even more gratitude.

So we made the trip... Photos and videos being uploaded. Although so much is private, and not for public consumption.
We have however posted the following:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Update. Where to begin...

I have had the car for 3 weeks now. I have done over 6000km already. The day after I collected it, I drove it 1300km up to Jo'burg to fetch Thabo. The journey home was uneventful in so many ways, but was a monumental journey in other ways. Uneventful, in that we had no drama. The car was well packed, with the pair of us comfortable, and so we knocked it off only having to stop to fill with fuel once (I started with a brim full tank, and finished, with about 80km left on the range). We chose not to record much of the journey down, as our conversations were private, and very emotional at times. Since that journey home, I had to return (for work), and indeed I have left the car up there with my friend, and flown home for the weekend. I fly back at the beginning of next week, and will drive home at the end of the week.

Thabo is adjusting to life in a wheelchair with great courage and fortitude. My wife and I can help to an extent, as I have been a wheelchair user for the last 18 years, and we know what can happen (and don't blink when issues do present themselves). Even so, it is a lot of adjustment for a young person. But he is getting there.

The car has exceeded all my expectations. I had been concerned as I have been waiting for this car for 35 years and 6 months. 35 years ago I remember cleaning a Porsche 911, and thinking to myself "one day, I shall have a car like this". 6 months wait from ordering to actually getting my car. Those conditions can mean that one's expectations become very high. But this car... I am delighted with every aspect of the car. The colour worried me, as I had not seen another 911 in Sapphire blue, and had only seen the interior colour on Nick Murray's YouTube videos. Indeed mine was the first crayon and chalk interior that they have had at Porsche Cape Town. I find the Sport Tex fabric perfect for the hot weather we get in South Africa. I just wish it was possible to order ventilated seats with this fabric. I have been stopped 6 times by the police in "random" road checks. These are usually to pick up unlicensed drivers and/or vehicles, but each time I have been pulled over so they can have a closer look at this (pretty rare) car (in South Africa, at least). We should have filmed the reaction when they stopped us, with Thabo and I in the car. One wheelchair frame was in the frunk (along with other luggage packed in around it), but on the back seats we had another wheelchair frame, 2 cushions, 4 rear wheels for the wheelchairs, along with more bags packed in and around them.

I have finally worked out the best technique to load myself and wheelchair into the car. I put my legs in the car, and then transfer from the wheelchair onto the sill, before lifting my bum into the seat - to avoid dragging my **** over the side bolsters of the seat. Then I remove the rear wheels off the chair and these go into a special bag that I leave on the front passenger seat. The fusion is then put not the rear shelf (I have the rear seat backs folded). The frame is then folded, and I lift it in over me, into the back of the car. Finally the bag containing the rear wheels is transferred onto the frame, and the front passenger seat back is reclined to stop anything rattling. I need to purchase some more iPhone / iPad cables as I put my phone in the centre armrest, and the iPad in the glovebox, and would prefer to be able to leave cables in there.

The "feel" and overall experience of driving this car is something very special. The hand controls I have had fitted work extremely well, and that certainly helps with the confidence when driving the car. Taking it on some local mountain passes, or on twisty country roads, it feels so easy to place the car exactly where you want it. I have tried to keep the revs down during these first few 000 km, but I am now slowly opening the motor up more and more. I am debating whether to change the oil first before I properly start using all the revs and exploring what happens above 5000 revs! I have to admit that I have hardly used the Sport mode yet, let alone the Sport + or Sport Response... But even before I have done that, I am amazed with the feedback of the chassis. I think helped with being just RWD, I can feel the traction coming out of tight corners. The electronics may be helping, but even quite extreme angles and throttle positions are dealt with so easily, but also with communication. I HAVE to get this car on a track.

But using it as a daily driver is going to be so easy too. As explained it is easy for me to get in and out. Driving in traffic, using the Adaptive Cruise Control is amazingly effortless. It can be quite tiring on hands and wrists constantly on throttle and brake in traffic, but the adaptive cruise control works so well, all I often have to do is to 'cover' the control with my hand, as all the inputs are dealt with, leaving me free to answer phone calls, receive messages and the like. Sadly, most of us are expected to be available and reachable at all hours of the day (& night). The well thought through communications system in the Porsche make this so easy.

This car is a keeper. I cannot see me ever wanting anything different. Yes, it is noticeable that the engine is turbocharged, both in feel and the noises. But the lag is minimal, especially using the PDK. It does mean that the engine feels very similar either at home on the coast, or up at 2000metres in Jo'burg (where NA engines make 17% less power...and that is the 17% that you really need when pushing an overtake or trying to get the gap in the traffic...). The gearbox is amazing; yes, it slides through the gears right into 7th without any jolt or pause. But then one can be in top gear moving with other traffic at around 100km/h, but then have an opportunity to overtake, or see a gap, and the gearbox will drop down to 3rd in an instant, even without selecting a different mode. When using manual mode or using the paddles, the response is instant, even better than the DSG which I thought was pretty impressive in the VW Scirocco that the 911 replaced, and that was the best gearbox that I had ever used. To be honest, I think, like with the DSG, I will leave the gearbox in auto mode most of the time, and only occasionally pull a paddle. I chose the standard 19" wheels and that does ensure a more comfortable ride. It is very comfortable, South African roads are quite variable, but rarely very smooth.

Although I have completed 6000km, they have almost all been "work". I have only driven over one mountain pass for "fun", and I need to explore some more of the country roads, and coastal drives that we have around us. I will try to remember to throw my camera and drone into the car, so we can get some different shots, of a stunningly beautiful car, in stunningly beautiful countryside. You will easily make me out; I am the idiot that is constantly grinning.

Quick Reply: Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche