Sponsored by:

Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Amazing story. Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear your son is doing better. Have a great trip home. Can't wait to see some video. This would be a great story for Stout's magazine 000. Heck, Porsche should send out a film crew, to include Jeff Zwart.
Amazing story, indeed.

PMs sent...
Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Dissol
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 32 Posts

PM's replied to. And thank you to LexVan for the "introduction".
Old 01-30-2018, 04:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissol
PM's replied to. And thank you to LexVan for the "introduction".
You are very welcome! You and your son are in my thoughts.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Best wishes to you and your son. Hope you love the car.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Best wishes to you and your son. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

Also, I hope things work out for your journey in your new Porsche.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Dissol
Advanced

Extra lever... pull to go, push to stop.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Dissol
Advanced

I hope to take delivery sometime next week. This is taken by the company which has fitted the hand controls. I may get the leather on the handle changed to the blue to match the steering wheel. Now it has to be inspected by customs to check the installation, and then brought down from Jo’burg to the Cape, where it will need prepping before hand over. Getting closer.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 AM
Dissol
Advanced

So don’t have delivery yet. Maybe (hopefully...) next week. My dealer has been great, knowing how important the car and the planned trip home is to my stepson, they even offered to fly me up to Johannesburg to take delivery up here, so I can make the expected discharge date. That is something special, that I really appreciated, but actually turned down, for a number of reasons. Thabo continues to amaze everyone with his determination and positivity over his new status as a wheelchair user. I have to admit that this kid (OK, he just turned 22, but he will always be a kid to me!!) has surprised me with his reaction to life’s challenges for him.

I also have have no doubt at all in my mind that my new Porsche is a vital component of his reaction to all this. I think to both of us, it is a powerful symbol that not only life goes on after becoming disabled, but dreams continue. It demonstrates so many things. Yes, one would be that I have been successful since becoming disabled, but also that my dreams have remained the same, and can be attainable. I have wanted to own a Porsche 911 since cleaning my surrogate father’s Porsche 911 in 1980. My enjoyment of driving has not diminished since becoming disabled (indeed, it has become more important, to me). I spent 6 months not being able to drive (& even not knowing if I ever would be able to). This lump of aluminium (with PDK & 2 turbos...just to upset people who call the,selves “purists”) is a sign for me of a goal achieved, for Thabo it is a symbol of what he might achieve himself in the future. There are links to important people in our lives, who are no longer with us on our journeys, to my surrogate father (life motto: “life is not a rehearsal”), to Thabo’s surrogate mother, my soulmate, to my biological father (his axheived target was an Aston Martin). It might be the last new car I ever purchase...I specced it with that in mind. Every decision, even every omission, has a clear reason behind it that I can justify. It is really a “dream car”.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. Simply wow. OP, welcome to RL, welcome to Porsche. A really amazing story that gives 'perspective' on how to deal with challenges that life throws in your way.

A continued diary of you and your son's tales with the car would be most appreciated.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Dissol
Advanced

I finally got delivery of my C2 today. As I could not test drive any car, it was a very special experience to drive this amazing vehicle from the dealer back to my house. The sales person also generously included some presents for Thabo and I to wear on our return journey. The actual delivery date was pushed back and pushed back, so the plan has had to be modified and compressed. I shall leave in the early hours of tomorrow for a 1000mile journey up to Jo’burg.

We we have a busy week ahead with some work commitments. We also have to work out how to fit 2 wheelchairs into 1 Porsche 911. I shall try to film some of our “attempts”. Both Thabo and I try to be as independent as possible, so whatever method we use cannot rely on any outside assistance. I can get my wheelchair folded up on one back seat (seat backs folded flat), but not sure if Thabo’s new wheelchair will fold as small as my own!

But I am in awe of this car! I still haven’t quite done 100km yet, but what a capable, amazing, fabulous vehicle!! Driving back in quite heavy traffic at some periods, made me realize what a great option the adaptive cruise control is, for a person driving on hand controls, in traffic. I had to come back home, to complete some work, but am about to explore some of the mountain passes that I am fortunate to live close to. Tomorrow will be quite different as the centre of South Africa (the Karoo) is a mostly flat, and dry semi-arid desert. The destination (Jo’burg) is at 2000m (thank goodness for forced induction!). The colour (sapphire blue) does work with the graphite blue and crayon interior. Apparently, mine was the first vehicle to have optioned this through the Cape Town dealership.

Enough now, I have a Porsche to drive!!

Finally leaving the dealership!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Subscribed.

Love it!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow .. just wow. So very happy for you and your family. Keep us posted on your adventures ... Cheers!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Awesome - this is what life is about, achieving dreams. Congrats and years of happy motoring!
Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

That car looks really good on you!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Been following this thread from the beginning. Congrats on taking delivery. Keep telling your story. You and your son are an inspiration.

Quick Reply: Very excited after ordering my 1st Porsche