Sponsored by:

Front End Mishap - Looking for Alternative Bumper Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:47 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front End Mishap - Looking for Alternative Bumper Ideas

On a night drive on the interstate, I encountered someone's blown out tire debris. About a 6" wide x half round part of a shredded tire, sitting upright in the road. By the time my headlights caught a glimpse of it, it was too late to safely swerve to avoid contact.

It appears that it was just high enough to impact only the lower spoiler lip, and not actually hit the bumper. As good as that sounds, it still completely ripped off the lower spoiler and broke the bumper where the grill separators come down.

The sound of the impact was quite uneventful. I was fully expecting just to have to have the PPF replace on the lower spoiler. Was quite surprised that the whole spoiler was completely gone.

I will more than likely go back with the same parts. However, I am briefly researching alternatives.

I've seen the GT3 front bumper conversions done here on the forum. Maybe a possibility. And while I don't wish to take away from the low, sleek stance of this car, I wouldn't mind even a little more front ground clearance, if such a bumper option exists for the 991's. Either one that doesn't protrude forward as much, or one with an upward angled spoiler as it goes forward. Without Googling images, something like the 997/996 front bumpers. I think those have an upward tilt at the front end of the nose.

This is a 2016 911 Targa 4 GTS. I'm not one to modify beautiful cars like this. I'm just considering any possible options due to this unfortunate collision.

Jim
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Here are some photos of the damage and a possible profile of what I am looking for. With the spoiler gone, the underlying aerokit remains. The sideview shows a more "ground clearance" friendly stance (when it comes to dragging the front end on inclines). If that remaining part of the aerokit came out to match the lower bumper, I'd be temped to replace the bumper without the spoiler.

So, the question is, is there a spoiler that will follow this profile (at the very front of the car), rather that get "lower to the ground" as it protrudes forward, as the stock one did?

In doing a quick Google search, I see other lower front spoilers on the base Carreras. Somewhat more front ground clearance. Or perhaps an aftermarket spoiler?

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158099656@N07/, on Flickr

Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Ugh that sucks man. The only thing that would be kind of interesting to me is if you wanted to try and fit a gt3 bumper to it, which SHOULD work...that would look damn cool actually. Just a thought though, you'll def need all the pieces to it which could be expensive but why not
Old 09-06-2017, 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

That sucks. Sorry. Great looking car.

Remember, when you talk to your insurance company:

1) hit tire tread= collision coverage
2) hit MOVING tire tread= comprehensive claim

Good luck. Keep the same style bumper. It's da bomb!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
That sucks. Sorry. Great looking car.

Remember, when you talk to your insurance company:

1) hit tire tread= collision coverage
2) hit MOVING tire tread= comprehensive claim

Good luck. Keep the same style bumper. It's da bomb!
Unfortunately, I learned this AFTER speaking to my insurance company. Said, had I hit a moving animal, like you said, would be a comprehensive claim.

Deductibles are the same for both collision and comprehensive. Should it affect my premium after the claim, I will do my best to argue that I chose the lessor of possible outcomes. Being that I was on a non-lit section of interstate, the tire debris wasn't visible until I was right on it. Swerving to miss it, at that point, was not a good idea. Car handles well, but I can't imagine what possible outcome I may have encountered had I tried to avoid it at such close range at 70mph.

Quick Reply: Front End Mishap - Looking for Alternative Bumper Ideas