Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Califronia resident trading used 911 for new 911 @ AZ dealer --does sales tax credit

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Califronia resident trading used 911 for new 911 @ AZ dealer --does sales tax credit

So---a question for the forum...I am a California resident. I have a used 911 that I am trading in on a new 911 at an Arizona Porsche dealer.

The AZ dealer is giving me sales tax credit on my trade in value towards the sales tax credit of the new 911.

The question to this group...Does the CA DMV honor the AZ Sales Tax credit when I go to register the new car in CA? Or should I expect to pay the full amount of sales tax on the purchase price?

Cheers
Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Fairly certain you will have to pay the full tax in CA.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
So---a question for the forum...I am a California resident. I have a used 911 that I am trading in on a new 911 at an Arizona Porsche dealer.

The AZ dealer is giving me sales tax credit on my trade in value towards the sales tax credit of the new 911.

The question to this group...Does the CA DMV honor the AZ Sales Tax credit when I go to register the new car in CA? Or should I expect to pay the full amount of sales tax on the purchase price?

Cheers
Similar case with my purchase from the State of Arizona.

As a resident of California I did not pay sales tax to the state of Arizona. However you will be responsible to pay the CA DMV sales tax upon registering your car. There is also a timeline in which you need to register your car to avoid penalties. I also had to make an appointment with the bureau for inspection before registering the car. If the car was previously registered a smog inspection is required prior to registering the car in CA. I suggest you address these questions with the dealership. I also suggest you go in to the DMV website in an effort to answer some of your questions.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 08-20-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Add more infor.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Fairly certain you will have to pay the full tax in CA.
+1 no way around if, being in CA your going to always have to pay the full tax.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:29 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

As an AZ resident, I know if I pay CA sales tax that is then a sales tax credit when I register the car here.

If my taxes would have been lower in AZ, I would not get any money back if I paid more sales tax in CA.

I would think this would work the same whether it's CA to AZ or AZ to CA.

Eddie
Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From the CA DMV website:

" If you paid sales/use tax to another state, you may receive credit toward California sales/use tax not to exceed the California tax. "

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr34

Glad you brought it up. Need to keep that one in mind.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:18 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
From the CA DMV website:

" If you paid sales/use tax to another state, you may receive credit toward California sales/use tax not to exceed the California tax. "

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr34

Glad you brought it up. Need to keep that one in mind.
I believe the OP is referring to only paying sales tax on the difference between his trade and the new car. I haven't lived in california in a while, but they didn't do that before and I don't think they do now either. It was a huge, happy surprise when I moved to Georgia and found we do it this way.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:02 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
I believe the OP is referring to only paying sales tax on the difference between his trade and the new car.
Regardless, if he's looking for the accepted answer, then that's what I provided.

There is, actually, a second way. Which is, when he's filling in the DMV form, where they ask "how much did you pay for the car," put in the amount on the bottom line of the sales contract provided by the dealer. And act as innocent as possible.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the input all---my question has been answered. Gotta pay the tax man In CA when I register---

Cheers
Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Just charging the country's highest state income tax clearly isn't enough for CA.

At least you don't live in Seattle and have to pay 5% of your car's value every year for a stupid train... or worse yet live in Tacoma where they don't get the train but still have to pay the 5% for it.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Just charging the country's highest state income tax clearly isn't enough for CA.

At least you don't live in Seattle and have to pay 5% of your car's value every year for a stupid train... or worse yet live in Tacoma where they don't get the train but still have to pay the 5% for it.
Is the 5% the current value i.e. depreciated value or the cost new? Do many people register out of state, i.e. trusts that I have seen set up to register cars in I believe AK and UT where it seem to be legal.

Quick Reply: Califronia resident trading used 911 for new 911 @ AZ dealer --does sales tax credit