Track Day Virgin.......Need advice on 1st time out

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:10 AM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Day Virgin.......Need advice on 1st time out

Hi,

I accepted an invite to a track day in 2.5 weeks from my SA. I'm a proud owner of a 2017 991.2 GTS. I have not made any track oriented modifications to the car since ownership (3 months).
Everytime I take this car on the freeway, my right foot doesn't agree with my cerebellum and the car all of a sudden is traveling 30km/hr more then it should. My favorite time of the day is driving home.
Any track prep advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. I've been told to bring a helmet.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Take up drugs, it will be cheaper.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Read "Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook" 2nd Edition
by Vic Elford. It's a great book which can be ordered from various sources including Amazon. That will give you all of the theory you need for your track day. Of course, there is theory and then there is reality.

Bring a helmet. We're cotton clothes only. No polyester. Gloves if you like. Tennis shoes or driving shoes. Have a ball!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Buy track insurance!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Buy track insurance!
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And Prepare to lower tire pressures. Start w comfort setting then see how grip and track day temps are after a session. I run about 3 psi cold f/r below comfort setting for best grip. I also use a little checklist: BT off (no unwanted phone calls), spoiler up (keeps it from cycling up & down), seat forward a inch or two, and sport or sport plus (depending on track and engine warm up). Have fun. You will learn a lot about your car.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Some more info about the event might help - is this a Porsche thing at PEC or Barber? If it is you probably won't be using your car anyway - that changes things a lot. I ask because you mentioned that the SA invited you.

If you're driving your own car (which IMO is more fun) the only thing I'd even consider doing is upgrading the brake fluid. For $300 or so you can have an indy mechanic put in RBF or SRF and know that there's zero chance of boiling the fluid. But honestly I'd only do this if you think you're going to track it regularly. I highly, highly doubt you'll be fast enough day one to run in to issues anyway.

Others mention track insurance - meh. I'd only buy it if you think it will make your feel better and thus have a better experience (and it might do that depending on your mindset). The math suggests that extreme beginners are actually pretty safe on the track. Problems start to arise as they transition in to being intermediates. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

Some quick hits:
Know the dress code - they may require long pants, long sleeves and closed toe shoes
Classroom - if they offer classroom instruction for noobs, do it. I learned a lot in the classes when I was starting out
Hydrate - drink water constantly. Once you fall behind on hydration, you can't catch up. Dehydration can cause nausea which ruins track days
Exhaustion - Most dangerous time for me is when I'm getting worn out. Know your limits. Skip the final session if you're beat

My advice - have fun and don't over think it. You're only going to get so fast on day one. The car can handle 3X what you're going to give it. Helmet on head, listen to instructors, drink water and have fun.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

All great advice presented above. The only item that I would add is tire pressures. It is very easy to over heat tires and if the pressure starts to build, they will get very greasy and lose grip. It is not possible to provide recommended settings without know what is on your car, temps of the track but feel free to let us know. A general rule of thumb is to keep them below 40 psi. That may mean that you will have to reduce psi by a considerable amount from the cold tire temp.
Good luck and welcome to the slippery slope.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Some more info about the event might help - is this a Porsche thing at PEC or Barber? If it is you probably won't be using your car anyway - that changes things a lot. I ask because you mentioned that the SA invited you.

If you're driving your own car (which IMO is more fun) the only thing I'd even consider doing is upgrading the brake fluid. For $300 or so you can have an indy mechanic put in RBF or SRF and know that there's zero chance of boiling the fluid. But honestly I'd only do this if you think you're going to track it regularly. I highly, highly doubt you'll be fast enough day one to run in to issues anyway.

Others mention track insurance - meh. I'd only buy it if you think it will make your feel better and thus have a better experience (and it might do that depending on your mindset). The math suggests that extreme beginners are actually pretty safe on the track. Problems start to arise as they transition in to being intermediates. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

Some quick hits:
Know the dress code - they may require long pants, long sleeves and closed toe shoes
Classroom - if they offer classroom instruction for noobs, do it. I learned a lot in the classes when I was starting out
Hydrate - drink water constantly. Once you fall behind on hydration, you can't catch up. Dehydration can cause nausea which ruins track days
Exhaustion - Most dangerous time for me is when I'm getting worn out. Know your limits. Skip the final session if you're beat
lol, not skip b... or else I hope you didn't put down a deposit!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If he did, he is one of the 1920 that lost his deposit - with those odds, its time to buy a Powerball ticket today.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Common confusion - by "Barber" I mean Barber Motorsports Park. It's a track in Leeds, AL (outside of B'ham). Porsche Sport Driving School is located there.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

A little additional tip: Learn how to program your MFD and turn off all the features you won't be using. I drive a stick so my MFD is limited to; the engine temp screen, the TPMS screen, and the Shift Assistant (everything else is turned off in the Menu Scope). I generally drive with the Shift Assistant screen and flip through the other two every lap when I go down the straight (pick your straight, every track has one) checking engine oil temp as well as tire pressures.

And if you have chrono I found the internal chrono data to be pretty worthless. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell us all how to get good use out of that function.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Get some time with an instructor. My first time they just had me follow someone and I had to figure it out for myself. I wasn't too worried because the track had no walls to hit. I did ok, but on my second trip there, they put me in a different group because I had a little experience. I ended up letting everyone pass me and then a more advanced group caught me which was worse. It is mentally exhausting, so take breaks if you feel the need. If your car is PDK, just put it in sport+ auto and concentrate on the lines.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 249 Posts

Wear brown trousers
Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

nav991.2gts This is awesome....I have been doing track days since 2005. I've moved through the ranks to advanced solo and I instructed for Porsche Club, Chin and a few others for many years. Some of the if not the best times in my life!

1- Go to the track with ZERO Ego. When you meet your instructor you know nothing about properly driving fast. Street driving is not like track driving

2- Get a good nights sleep and good breakfast.

3- If you can, watch some in car videos of the track

4- Study the flags

5- Study where the corner workers /flagmen will be on the track

6- Review the track schedule...times you will be driving and classroom times...DO NOT BE LATE!

7- Since you car is new there really isn't anything to be done for your first track day.

8- Put the car into Sport + and leave PSM on! Do not mess with anything else do not time your laps at this point.

I would suggest though for the car...if you want:
Lower the tire pressure to the Comfort Setting 29psi front and 34 psi rear.

You could go get your alignment tuned up if you want..never hurts....ask for -1.5 negative camber front and rear...this will be the most neg camber a GTS on the lower Sport PASM will obtain....zero toe up front and 1.5mm...nor more than 2mm toe inwards per side in the rear.

Flush brake fluid to something like Motul RBF600 or 660 or ProspeedRF683.

Again your new car in stock form is more than enough for your 1st track day and even the 2nd or 3rd.

You might want to look into track insurance...but your instructor will be there to coach you around the track, hold your speed back going into corners and work with you on pointing by faster drivers....noticed I said faster drivers not faster cars!

One last tip....dont try to learn the whole track at 1 time...break up up into various segments...learn a segment first...know what breaking point is coming up, know what the turn looks like and were to position the car, remember what the braking feel was like. After you get that segment down move to memorizing the next segment and so forth. Staying ahead of the ca, looking far and I mean far ahead makes track driving and street driving so much more fun and easier to get ahold of. It's all really about staying ahead of the car, using the brakes not to slow the car but to balance the car to set up for the corner, hitting the apex and throttle out.

But most of all go with a clear mind, no ego and just have fun!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Check your auto policy - most have exclusions again coverage from any damage while operating in a "facility designed for automotive speed or competitive events". Track insurance is a very good idea unless you can afford to absorb the cost of balling up a 2017 GTS.

Remove all the lose stuff from your car (I never cease to be amazed at how many students show up with junk rolling around in the cabin and trunk)

Helmets are supposed to be SA-Rated. Some schools care, some don't. But if you are going to buy one, get the SA rated one which is for auto racing (not a motorcycle helmet)

Make sure you wear long pants and have a long sleeve shirt. Some tracks require that, others don't care. About 15 years ago VIR had a school in the blazing summer. So hot, we only brought tshirts and shorts and VIR would not let us on the track. So we went into town to the Wal Mart and all bought long-sleeve cotton pajamas in the loudest patterns we could find, and ran in those - which just added to the fun.

Get a ride with an Instructor when he goes out for his laps. That will open up your eyes big time. I will always let my students ride along and most Instructors will as well.

Track driving is about brake modulation and apexing. That's what you are there to learn, anyone can mash the gas on the straight. And stay hydrated. Its easy to forget to drink water in the excitement of the day.

Have fun...try to relax, You'll have the first day jitters. And remember - you have to go slow before you can go fast.

Quick Reply: Track Day Virgin.......Need advice on 1st time out