Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:10 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Cobb Tuning Releases Upgrade for PDK Customers

For all those 981/991 folks that have been asking "can you speed up the shifts in the PDK," the long wait is over! Yesterday Cobb released their PDK control unit flash upgrade for all 991/981 customers that want that snappy, PDK-S type shifting in their 911s, Boxsters or Caymans. We were lucky enough to be able to beta test some of this stuff last week and see first hand the improvements that it delivers. One of my customers is on Planet-9 and he's running the software and hopefully he will chime in. We have built a few large displacement, 430 - 475 hp engines for customers running PDK 981s and this software was necessary for me to have the cars behaving in a manner i think they should. This is the first ever flash i know of for the PDK control unit; it can bring a non Sports Plus car up to Sports Plus spec, you can have Launch Control and they have provided several different shift maps. You don't have to drive the car in manual mode anymore to be able to realize any raised RPM limits & gone is the hesitation you feel when rolling from a dead stop to pull out from an intersection!

The 997/987 upgrades will follow but for now, this is for the 991/981 owners.

If anyone is interested, please call the shop and ask for either Wray or myself!

Thank you.

John

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/pors...essive-pdk-map

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
For all those 981/991 folks that have been asking "can you speed up the shifts in the PDK," the long wait is over! Yesterday Cobb released their PDK control unit flash upgrade for all 991/981 customers that want that snappy, PDK-S type shifting in their 911s, Boxsters or Caymans. We were lucky enough to be able to beta test some of this stuff last week and see first hand the improvements that it delivers. One of my customers is on Planet-9 and he's running the software and hopefully he will chime in. We have built a few large displacement, 430 - 475 hp engines for customers running PDK 981s and this software was necessary for me to have the cars behaving in a manner i think they should. This is the first ever flash i know of for the PDK control unit; it can bring a non Sports Plus car up to Sports Plus spec, you can have Launch Control and they have provided several different shift maps. You don't have to drive the car in manual mode anymore to be able to realize any raised RPM limits & gone is the hesitation you feel when rolling from a dead stop to pull out from an intersection!

The 997/987 upgrades will follow but for now, this is for the 991/981 owners.

If anyone is interested, please call the shop and ask for either Wray or myself!

Thank you.

John

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/pors...essive-pdk-map

I'm all over this ... are you also able to program other PDK features such as eliminating 'kick down'???
Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

QUICK ...someone do this and then tell us if it is worth the $600
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the programming similar to this device at all?

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/autofl...gearbox-tuning

I've had one of those on my car almost since I bought it, and it did seem to do something...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm all over this ... are you also able to program other PDK features such as eliminating 'kick down'???
Same here, very interested! Assume if one has the Cobb Accessport tuner already it is just a file that you flash similar to ECU tune?

Also would this be appropriate for a 991 GTS with Cobb tune but no other engine mods (assume exhaust + air filters don't count)? The Cobb site makes reference to this being a high torque map so not sure...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeearly
QUICK ...someone do this and then tell us if it is worth the $600
I'm on it! Def would be if you could also eliminate kick down and reverse the charges sense of the pdk shifter
Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Same here, very interested! Assume if one has the Cobb Accessport tuner already it is just a file that you flash similar to ECU tune?
That's my understanding

Also would this be appropriate for a 991 GTS with Cobb tune but no other engine mods (assume exhaust + air filters don't count)? The Cobb site makes reference to this being a high torque map so not sure...

Multiple maps available ...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Is the programming similar to this device at all?

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/autofl...gearbox-tuning

I've had one of those on my car almost since I bought it, and it did seem to do something...
Most probably since both devices program the TCU via OBD II via CAN bus...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

John, my understanding with PDK-S is that there are also hardware differences from regular PDK. So if the Cobb tune creates PDK-S like shifting speeds and dynamics, can the regular PDK hardware reliably handle this? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have concern on wear and tear as well with more aggressive tune.

But I think I would be interested it too, if it can shift like gt3 or gts
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LTP

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
John, my understanding with PDK-S is that there are also hardware differences from regular PDK. So if the Cobb tune creates PDK-S like shifting speeds and dynamics, can the regular PDK hardware reliably handle this? Thanks!
​​​​​​
+1!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LTP

gts is the same transmission as a base....

is this this going to be included in the engine tune moving forward?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess some people don't mind paying $17,000 out of your own pocket for a new PDK if yours fails.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

I will have to ask the Cobb guys. That is achieved in the Clubsport via using the 6-speed gas pedal which does NOT have a kickdown. Let me confirm that option is removable but my gut tells me no.

Originally Posted by Vise

The customer needs to snapshot the AP info and send it out for a new license key that will allow you to update the AP with the PDK functionality. I use the high torque map for our larger displacement Caymans, Boxsters and 911s and use the standard more aggressive map for the 3.4L cars.

To answer your 2nd question, i think that would be preference. If you don't like the shifting of the GTS or aren't in love with the behavior of the existing PDK, you will like it. I guess the only true way would be for you to try it but there's no way to do that without getting the updated license key via Cobb.

I'm on it! Def would be if you could also eliminate kick down and reverse the charges sense of the pdk shifter
Need to confirm because i think that's done via hardware but i can ask.

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I think that the single biggest hardware differences are the different final drive, the gear ratios, the weight of those gears and some oiling. Above that, the differences are in the programming, shifting behavior, direction of the +/-, etc. I guess i should probably clarify that this is not an upgrade to PDK-S as much as it is improving the shifting to mimic that of the PDK-S cars.

Originally Posted by R_Rated

It will be a separate firmware upgrade from the engine firmware upgrade. The main difference will be that most will be fairly content with their Off The Shelf PDK maps whereas we are able to really improve the engine ECU's performance with a highly modified ECU flash vs. the OTS engine maps.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought gts has a different mapping for pdk, it does feel different when I drove my friends gts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Releases Upgrade for PDK Customers