Sponsored by:

Opinions on new order

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Opinions on new order

Ok, I have an order in for a Targa 4 GTS specc'd to about 160K, And then realized I can get EVERYTHING I want in a Turbo for 171K.
The problem is, I know both are great. I know I will love either. I can afford either or I wouldn't bother with an order.
I want BOTH but that's out of the question.
I know I will be making my own decision on this but wanted to hear what some of your thoughts would be on the deciding factor between these two great versions, mostly to be sure I haven't overlooked anything.
First world problem, I know, but I figured a few of you would understand how I have driven myself crazy on that darn configurator.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

My opinion...and it is just that as I am only 14 days into my P-car ownership...I was looking at CABs, both turbo and S...wasn't looking for a Coupe, and if you are, different story.

I found that looking at the cars side by side CAB vs Targa, I REALLY liked the way the Targa looked. The turbo's that I drove were AWESOME, but, I was going to use this car as a DD. I found the GTS to be everything I needed. I also started paying attention to the P-cars I saw on the road...I was looking for something unique, the Targa did it for me.

Like I said, only 14 days into, but I have been a car guy all my life...absolutely no regrets with the Targa. It appears that you punched the TTS ticket...go ahead and punch the Targa ticket, JMHO.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, wes66vette, I have been out of a 911 for almost 2 years now after my TTS got rear-ended. The choices are just killing me! How does yours sound? Is it loud using it day-to day? How about on the highway? I took a test drive around town only.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
Thanks, wes66vette, I have been out of a 911 for almost 2 years now after my TTS got rear-ended. The choices are just killing me! How does yours sound? Is it loud using it day-to day? How about on the highway? I took a test drive around town only.
So, the sound is all relative to the mode switch...

Normal = Civilized - you can have a convo, with the top down, and there is no "drone" with the top up

Sport = Agitated - very nice rumble and pop under different throttle conditions (acceleration and deceleration)

Sport Plus = Angry - not as much popping but nasty sounding at higher revs

Sport Response button = Fit of rage - pushed it once, haven't done it again since I live in the Washington Metro Area and not too many wide open spaces

It might be my ears playing tricks on me...but I can hear the turbos wind up as well...not like I did when I drove the CAB Turbo, but it is still there.

Bottom line, if you want quiet, you can get it, with a physical and audible response the further down you press the right pedal. If you want that hint of nasty...it is there too.

With the mode selector in Sport, you can tell there is a bunch of motor waiting on your direction, in normal, you are just laying in wait for someone to get stupid beside you, very stealth. For the record, I don't spend much time in "normal" mode...
Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I think the Targa is one of the most gorgeous 911s made so I would pick that over the Turbo.

The Turbo has more status and of course a lot more HP. If that matters to you, then maybe go that route.

The 991.2 GTS engine has plenty of power. PLENTY.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think the Targa is one of the most gorgeous 911s made so I would pick that over the Turbo.

The Turbo has more status and of course a lot more HP. If that matters to you, then maybe go that route.

The 991.2 GTS engine has plenty of power. PLENTY.
+1
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would NOT allow the price differential to enter in my thinking.
Get what YOU like and WANT.-Richard
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are amazing choices. The Targa looks like a super-car. You can spot one a mile away and it commands attention. Truly gorgeous. The Turbo IS a super-car. Just watch the YouTube video of the turbo/turbo s destroying every car it faces on the drag strip. I saw one near SFO last week and it's hard to even think of it as the same family as my 991.1 Base. The word menacing comes to mind.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:14 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Both are amazing choices. The Targa looks like a super-car. You can spot one a mile away and it commands attention. Truly gorgeous. The Turbo IS a super-car. Just watch the YouTube video of the turbo/turbo s destroying every car it faces on the drag strip. I saw one near SFO last week and it's hard to even think of it as the same family as my 991.1 Base. The word menacing comes to mind.
I like menacing.

Get the Turbo for only $11K more...
Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Should be simple choice... if you want the "fancy robotic roof"... and likely a car that's more unique... get the Targa. If you want menacing power... get the Turbo.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Easy choice....get the turbo. You will never regret it. If you need more growl then change exhaust later.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Drive both and see which YOU like better, there are things about my GTS Targa I like better than my friend's Turbo.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

How are you planning to use the car?

Do you go to the track at all? How important is the open air experience to you? Do you frequently use full throttle in other high perf cars you've owned.

The 991 Turbo cars are amazing machines - perhaps no car is better at being able to cross over from being a DD to a killer track car. If you don't track your cars then this part shouldn't matter to you.

The Turbos are so fast that to a certain degree the opportunities to use that power are limited given that felony speeds happen really quickly. The Targa GTS is no slouch but I would argue that it has a more usable power band than the Turbo - you can keep your foot in it longer and even if it's not as fast, the experience last longer and I'm a fan of the driving experience more than the drag race or lap times.

Generally, Targas hold their value better, so that may be a consideration.

I agree with what others say about the looks of the Targa - I think it's the most beautiful of all of the 991 sub models. That Targa bar and rear glass is so well executed by Porsche - it just plain works.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I had a '15 TT and just hated not having a MT. It was really fast though.
My Targa 4S has the X51 Powerkit Package, so it's sorta like a GTS. Fast for sure, but not TT fast. I would rather have the "slower" car and a MT. I'm glad I made the transition (via a Boxster GTS).
Looks wise, the Targa is hard to beat IMO.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

You've had a turbo. Get a GTS Targa.
As you know, I had a TTS as well. One of the most boring cars to drive. Quiet and soft. I tried an aftermarket exhaust and it still sounded bad. Even though the current GTS is "Turbo" it is not engineered to drive like one. The TT or TTS is. The only thing cool about the Turbo is the acceleration/boost.
Also, if you care, a new Turbo will dump in value right away. The Targa should hold its value or lose a lot less. If you don't keep your cars forever, like to actually drive, and get the best 911 available, get the GTS. If status to non- Porsche people is important to you, get the Turbo (lol, ok, I'm chuckling at that one). Honestly, buy a 570S instead of a Turbo.
In the end, I think you'll be happy with either car. The Targa GTS looks best!

Quick Reply: Opinions on new order