Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the OP made a smart move, Porsche quality isn't what is use to be. You don't become the most profitable car company in the world by making quality cars. Just look at Porsche's track record on bone head engineering blunders -- IMS, scored cylinders, 991.2 GT3 defective engines, Cayenne coolant pipes, coil packs, etc. Not exactly confidence inspiring from a manufactures who's cars are easily six figures. Everyone faults British cars for being "unreliable", however in my 3 years of owning an Aston Martin DB9, I only had one problem, a transmission cooling line. Unfortunately I can't say the same about my Porsches, which can probably be best described as a nagging teenager. I think Porsche is now a car to be leased, not owned. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I am having a tough time understanding that. A PDK has 2 shafts with odd gears on one shaft and even gears on the other shaft along with a multi disc clutch for each shaft. That is how I understand it.

I just got my 991.1 this past August and as far as I know, it has a normal clutch like my 993.
(Although this thread was started a long time ago...) Let me answer your question regarding manual vs PDK: As of the 991 models, the basic transmission is the same for both manuals and automatics with a few gearing tweaks. The manual also has the dual shafts with staggered gears. The 991 manuals have an odd mechanism that translates the shift patterns you see and love into a PDK-translating shifting mechanism. The clutch mechanism is different of course (it happens to be the same manual clutch used in the 997.2 models), but the gearbox is the same except for some gearing ratio differences. So if you have transmission troubles beyond the clutch in a 991 manual-trannied car, you're in the same boat as the PDK owners.

Here's some quotes from Porsche:

"The 911 Carrera (991) features a 7-speed manual transmission as standard, which is unique in the sports car segment. The transmission is essentially derived from the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), with the gear ratio of the 3rd and 7th gears adapted to take account of the manual gear changes. The 3rd gear has a higher ratio, which reduces consumption. The 7th gear has a lower ratio to maintain the tractive force even at comparatively low speeds."

Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

When people ask me how long I am keeping the car, this is why I respond with "as long as I have warranty for". When my CPO is up in a year, whether I sell it for something with a 6 speed or put a Fidelity warranty on it will just come down to what I can get out of my car. The PDK is the weak link on these cars. Now I do understand that failures represent probably a fraction of a % of cars, but in 10 years from now when they are starting to get older and the circuit boards have been sitting in hot gear oil (at least this is how it is on the Audi units), they are going to need replacing. Basically every other part on these cars can be somewhat easily fixed, is a rational amount of money to fix, or has an even smaller failure rate.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Porsche quality isn't what is use to be.
Just when Hans Mezger retired in 1994 and his last creation came out, the 993. Notice how Porsche went water cooler thereafter.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:18 AM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

this says the manual trans has a single shaft. i don't know anything else, just what i found.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pdk-tech-dept/
Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by sumbaco
this says the manual trans has a single shaft. i don't know anything else, just what i found.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pdk-tech-dept/
Right, the manual only has a single clutch and only needs a single input shaft to transfer power into the gearbox, where the dual clutch uses one shaft for each of the two clutch face directions (which helps with for the super-quick shifts). Inside the design and most of the gears are shown as the same. Even the subtitle of the article is "Porsche pops two 911 transaxles out of one clever box of gears".
Old 01-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Personally I'm stuck on why leaky gaskets can't be replaced in lieu of swapping out the entire transmission. This is stupid, unnecessary, and extremely costly and concerning for long-term owners.

I pray this does not happen to me or there will be war with PCNA and over social media.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Personally I'm stuck on why leaky gaskets can't be replaced in lieu of swapping out the entire transmission. This is stupid, unnecessary, and extremely costly and concerning for long-term owners.

I pray this does not happen to me or there will be war with PCNA and over social media.

I am sure the simple answer is $$$$$
Old 01-26-2019, 06:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Personally I'm stuck on why leaky gaskets can't be replaced in lieu of swapping out the entire transmission.
I have no clue which gasket or seal is leaking, being new to the 991.

I wish there were some clear pics online describing the problem in detail.

Quick Reply: PDK leaking