Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 kids I didn't know just rang my doorbell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 kids I didn't know just rang my doorbell.

I just had 2 neighborhood kids, who I don't know, just drop by and ring the doorbell asking to look at my car��I let them look and started it for them. I bet they were 8 years old. The one kid seemed to know a lot about cars and asked if I had any carbon fiber in it, top speed and 0-60 times.Too funny!
Anyone else have this type of experience?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, no ulterior motive just youthful enthusiasm, love it.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 249 Posts

That's nice
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

That was nice of you to do that. I bet you that made their day and will remember this experience fir a while.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You just made 2 Porsche fans forever!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM
P-car fan
Instructor

Yes, I've been asked to stop on more than one occasion by neighborhood kids so they could ask me questions and they always want it "revved up!" LOL They are probably 9/10 years old tops
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I love stuff like that. I claim I don't own cars for status, but I still get a bit of an ego boost when someone gushes over my car. I used to get that more with my Supra Turbo than with my 911, I'd get a lot of guys in their 20's asking if it was for sale. Possibly because it was easier for them to imagine affording the Supra than a 911.

I haven't had any neighbor kids asking about my C4S, but I did have a similar experience once when visiting my niece. I parked on the street, and when I got back, a kid that must have been about 10 years old was sitting there staring at it. He said "I really like your car."
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM
The_Hunter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome, I have never had anyone ring my bell but every time I wash the car at least one of the kids from down the street stops buy to have a look
Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Haha good stuff. Gotta love reactions from the young kids. A few months ago I stopped at the 7-11 on my way home from work, and when I get to the counter to pay for my stuff I notice 4 kids, probably around 12-13 yrs old, with their phones out taking pictures of the car. I walk outside and they see me coming towards them. One asks "is this your car!?" I said yes, and another kid says "Is it cool I we take pictures?" I said of course. Another asks "What do you do for a living?" So I tell them. They proceed to take selfies, close-ups of the badges, wheels, brake calipers, etc. I asked If they wanted to see the inside, to which the response was an enthusiastic "yes!". They take more pics, and then I tell them I have to go. One asks if he can take a video of me driving off, and asked if I could rev it a little, to which I happily obliged. So I backed out of my parking spot, and slowly start creeping towards the driveway. They all have their phones out and video taping while walking like 4 feet behind the car, and thats when I gave the throttle a quick blip up to about 6k. I have an AWE exhaust and it startled them pretty good. They all jumped back in unison yelling "DAAAAAMN!!" and were cheering as I drove off
Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Awesome.

To my wife - a care is just an appliance. Unless its a KarmanGhia or 356 she couldn't care less. Those two are special because she know Janice Joplin drove them. So... my daughter sides with my wife on these things and if you ask her anything about cars she rolls her eyes and says she doesn't like cars. We're making the journey to pre teen and I lose street cred as a dad a little more everyday.

However, when she's asked about what she will drive when she is older she has very strong opinions. Also, when her friends come over she is very enthusiastic about the 911. Also - next week is the last week of summer for her and our annual mountain road trip in the Porsche. I love when kids get excited. If out and about I'll let them sit in it and if I know them or their parents I'll take them for a ride.

These are some big milestones for these kids. If not for my car addiction... I don't think my career would have gotten to this point at all (even though currently in a slump).
Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM
drugstocowboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my nephew and his date to their high school prom in the Carrera S. His date was small, so the back seat was perfectly fine. When my nephew's date and the date's mom saw the car they said "awwwwww...that's such as CUTE little car..." My next though..."bitch...don't you know a world class sports car when you see one?" but my better judgment stopped me. My experience is the youth of today does not really care for sports cars. Sucks for them.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drugstocowboy
Took my nephew and his date to their high school prom in the Carrera S. His date was small, so the back seat was perfectly fine. When my nephew's date and the date's mom saw the car they said "awwwwww...that's such as CUTE little car..." My next though..."bitch...don't you know a world class sports car when you see one?" but my better judgment stopped me. My experience is the youth of today does not really care for sports cars. Sucks for them.
Awesome. I drove a Mercedes C class to prom in the 90's and will never forget it. We grew up poor so this was such a huge deal. The guy that let me borrow it was happy because I did a full detail and he told my parents that it was the cleanest the car had been since new.

That time behind the wheel was a pivotal point in touching something that became such a goal.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I was smoking a cigar with a friend in his backyard when one of his tenant's sons came out and asked if he could take a picture inside my car for his birthday. He sat in that seat and that huge smile that he had on his face was absolutely priceless. I put the ebrake ON, sport+ on and kept the door wide open. He revved it hard a few times (with my permission of course and he said that he can't wait till he graduates college.

I wish my 9th birthday was that awesome!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a little boy come to my door on Halloween a few years back dressed as Iron Man.

He was with his entire family and there were tons of kids around.

I asked if he liked Iron Man.

He very excitedly said yes so I told him I had something better for him than candy.

I had an R8 at the time.

Opened the garage door and he flipped.

I have kids asking about my cars all the time - kids love cars!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Last year I had a flat on my newly purchased 2014 CPO. I have Sport Techno's on it and the young man about 21 years old took great care not to scratch rim when mounting tire and taking off the old weight. He was real excited to work on it. The shop I use has the main entrance in front and service bays on the side. I asked him to pull it around for me. He took such car I knew he was a "car guy". He thanked me for letting him drive it.

Quick Reply: 2 kids I didn't know just rang my doorbell.