Dent Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dent Repair

Hey guys,

My passenger side fender got dinged by right side neighbor in the parking lot. Obviously, he or she didn't care to leave a note with contact info.

Anyway, while looking for a shop to repair I came up with a question. One of the shops wanted to remove the rear wheel and drill a small hole in the wheel well for access to the backside of the damage. I'm questioning whether it is really necessary.

Does anyone remember how much clearance is there behind the rear side panel? The damage is right at the edge of the rear fender and the door, behind the door handle. See the photo below.

Thanks,
Ruben
Old 08-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving this to the 991 forum.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Well, I'd try PDR first.

There is an access port under the black wheel well liner, once removed. I'm not sure if you can get that high up in the rear 1/4 panel, though.

As a last resort, I'd allow a small access port drilled to accomplish PDR. Anything to avoid body/paint work. As long as the access port is properly prepped with a plug and corrosion prevention.

Be prepared for the PDR guy to say "not possible". You need to find one with the skills to try & succeed.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, I'd try PDR first.

There is an access port under the black wheel well liner, once removed. I'm not sure if you can get that high up in the rear 1/4 panel, though.

As a last resort, I'd allow a small access port drilled to accomplish PDR. Anything to avoid body/paint work. As long as the access port is properly prepped with a plug and corrosion prevention.

Be prepared for the PDR guy to say "not possible". You need to find one with the skills to try & succeed.
Yeah, I'm going to try PDR. The question was regarding the best way to access the spot.

I was just thinking if there is a better way to access it from the interior without making holes and covering it. Several months ago I used to remove the rear side panel to route dash cam wire, but don't remember well enough how much clearance is there.

I guess will have to find a guy who is familiar with this particular car.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Isn't there a plastic cover in the rear wheel well that can be removed to access the rear quarter panel?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Isn't there a plastic cover in the rear wheel well that can be removed to access the rear quarter panel?
It does not have any real access. I removed rear wheel and plastic cover and could not see anything. Might have to gain access via interior.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I suspect that the 991 is similar to the 997.2. I had a smaller dent than the one your 991 is wearing and which was ~2" to the rear of yours. My guy (in Marin) was able to repair it from the interior by removing just one panel.

$125 and ~45 minutes later, the dent was finessed out and life was good again.

What part of the bay area are you located?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:00 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

South Bay recommendation ... Steve is not a master, he is a magician

Old 08-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by david
I suspect that the 991 is similar to the 997.2. I had a smaller dent than the one your 991 is wearing and which was ~2" to the rear of yours. My guy (in Marin) was able to repair it from the interior by removing just one panel.

$125 and ~45 minutes later, the dent was finessed out and life was good again.

What part of the bay area are you located?
who's your guy in Marin ? ;-) Pretty please !
Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
who's your guy in Marin ? ;-) Pretty please !
Corey (Confidents)
415/602-3368
confidents @ comcast . net

He came highly recommended to me by way of Patrick @Whitman's & has lived up to it with the repair to the 997 and my MCS.

PM me if you want to know more....ya gotta be very prudent where you park in this county (world)...no surprise the perp did not bother to say oops...sheesh

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks for sharing guys. I have 2 small dings (on either side) in the same area and I've reached out to Corey to get his thoughts!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

You'd be amazed what these guys can do. Incredible!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9658...he-rescue.html
Old 08-07-2017, 04:26 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Sorry for late response. Since the thread was moved I got unsubscribed and did not receive update notifications.

[QUOTE=RoWa;14372462]South Bay recommendation ... Steve is not a master, he is a magician

Originally Posted by david
Corey (Confidents)
415/602-3368
confidents @ comcast . net

He came highly recommended to me by way of Patrick @Whitman's & has lived up to it with the repair to the 997 and my MCS.

PM me if you want to know more....ya gotta be very prudent where you park in this county (world)...no surprise the perp did not bother to say oops...sheesh

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing. I'm in the East Bay, but it shouldn't be a big deal to get to Marin.

Originally Posted by daberlin
You'd be amazed what these guys can do. Incredible!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9658...he-rescue.html
Yes, they can do miracles. The only variable is the knowledge of the car in order to perform the operation in the least invasive way.

Quick Reply: Dent Repair