Sponsored by:

Help with Targa vs Coupe w/sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help with Targa vs Coupe w/sunroof

Interested in opinions, experience, etc on pros and cons of the Targa versus Coupe with glass sunroof. Living in Texas I personally ruled out convertibles because I only opened the top on my 991 C2S cab about 5 times a year (tooooo hot).
It is admittedly more a "looks" thing for me but very interested in any negatives for a Targa I need to be aware of.
Right now have 2018 GTS Coupe w/sunroof ordered but have a chance to switch to Targa 4 GTS.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a 991.1 Targa 4S 7 speed manual. Loved the functionality and looks, was a bit dissatisfied with the performance and the top would "groan" under flex. I did make some adjustments to it but never could get it fixed. Overall the GTS would fix the performance issue IMO and perhaps my Targa was an anomaly as I would like to try another in GTS livery.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similar dilemma about a month ago. I had a Targa GTS ordered and I cancelled and went with a Coupe RWD. Targa is by far the best looking 991 (Dat ***). But I decided to switch to the coupe for a couple of reasons.

1. Lack of RWD, the Targa already has a nearly 400lb penalty over the RWD Coupe. If RWD was an option then you could lop off nearly 120lbs (I think) of that weight. Plus get that extra bit of steering feel and fun tail out experience.

2. Lack of PASM Sport. I am going to track my 911, regardless of Targa or Coupe. But not being able to get the S-PASM was a bummer.

3. Targa roof mechanism. I get it that a car costing this much probably has to have a power top. Imagine how much weight would be saved if they were just removable panels... Also because the windshield is raked pretty aggressively, when the Targa top is down, the opening a little bigger than just a sunroof.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Are you planning on running the targa with the roof down? I have to say there is quite a difference between cab and targa open (I don't have a 991 in either, but my 993 is a cab and my 911 was a targa) and you might be able to get enough AC to make it tolerable with the targa open. AC in a cab is ok, but you lose the AC cool air right away and in Houston I see the issue you had with a cab.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have a Targa........had a 1984 coupe with sunroof and a 1989 930 cab. I LOVE the TARGA....gives me everything I wanted.....BEST LOOKING 911...Top down all the time...On hot day I turn on the A/C and it keeps me cool....Love the AWD.... I don't understand the weight issue, I am not on the track and drove all models.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:24 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just purchased a 2017 Targa 4S this week. Weighs more yes, but if you add the slab of glass sunroof difference shrinks. 4S coupe (let's compare apples to ...) Dat ***
is about 195 lighter, I do not track my cars so looks and function are higher on my list. Live in Northeast so it's a bit cooler. I actual thought the heavier Targa handled the crappy roads here better. Seldom see another one on the road, this is my second Targa so I am obviously biased. Coupe or Targa, both are great, I am not a fan of the cabriolet looks wise, can't go too far wrong either way.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Look at the resale values on 991 Targas. From the financial perspective and ROI, that's the way to go.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM
docmalone
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. I just went and drove a Targa 4 GTS with the top up around town, and the top down with AC on in the 101° Texas weather. Unfortunately for my bank account, this test drive sealed the deal and now I have to tweak the configurator for a Targa!
October build so I have about 4/5 weeks before the order locks.
The following users liked this post:
Holger B (07-31-2023)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Congrats!

My opinion is that the Targa looks better. However, I would get a coupe with the sunroof. I don't like AWD so Targa out. I like to be able to close the top rather quickly if need be and with the car moving so Targa out. I don't like extra weight on a car because it affects handling (and yes I can feel it) so Targa out. Targa roof rattles more than a sunroof as well.
I've also been a Cabriolet guy so I'd lean that way, personally. However, I drive with the top down even above 100F.
With all that said, the Targa looks best in my opinion and I'm sure you will love it! What color are you getting?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 PM
docmalone
Racer

Kyrocks, I struggle with color choices! I want something bright so guards red/Miami blue/yellow are the three I'm toying with.
Not doing PTS.
I worried about extra weight, but then laughed at myself, because I don't track it and I end up driving like a granny anyway. This build is strictly for looks and will truly be used as a GT car.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:08 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherryblock
I had a 991.1 Targa 4S 7 speed manual. Loved the functionality and looks, was a bit dissatisfied with the performance and the top would "groan" under flex. I did make some adjustments to it but never could get it fixed. Overall the GTS would fix the performance issue IMO and perhaps my Targa was an anomaly as I would like to try another in GTS livery.
Groan from where???
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
I had a similar dilemma about a month ago. I had a Targa GTS ordered and I cancelled and went with a Coupe RWD. Targa is by far the best looking 991 (Dat ***). But I decided to switch to the coupe for a couple of reasons.

1. Lack of RWD, the Targa already has a nearly 400lb penalty over the RWD Coupe. If RWD was an option then you could lop off nearly 120lbs (I think) of that weight. Plus get that extra bit of steering feel and fun tail out experience.

2. Lack of PASM Sport. I am going to track my 911, regardless of Targa or Coupe. But not being able to get the S-PASM was a bummer.

3. Targa roof mechanism. I get it that a car costing this much probably has to have a power top. Imagine how much weight would be saved if they were just removable panels... Also because the windshield is raked pretty aggressively, when the Targa top is down, the opening a little bigger than just a sunroof.
The opening is twice the area of the sunroof as the sunroof does NOT open fully. The reason I traded my glass sunroof coupe for a Targa.
Full open access to sun!
The following users liked this post:
Jackiedove (02-03-2024)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
Kyrocks, I struggle with color choices! I want something bright so guards red/Miami blue/yellow are the three I'm toying with.
Not doing PTS.
I worried about extra weight, but then laughed at myself, because I don't track it and I end up driving like a granny anyway. This build is strictly for looks and will truly be used as a GT car.
Those three colors will look great. A Targa in those colors will look stunning.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Targas are the best!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
Thanks for all the replies. I just went and drove a Targa 4 GTS with the top up around town, and the top down with AC on in the 101° Texas weather. Unfortunately for my bank account, this test drive sealed the deal and now I have to tweak the configurator for a Targa!
October build so I have about 4/5 weeks before the order locks.
You chose wisely!!!

Quick Reply: Help with Targa vs Coupe w/sunroof