Road Trip - Houston to Seattle - MT Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road Trip - Houston to Seattle - MT Carrera

Hi all,

This Friday I will be picking up this 2012 MT 991 base in Houston and hit the road to Seattle.

This 911 replaces a black on black MT 991. I couldn't deal with black on black in Seattle anymore as a daily and love the Agate Grey on Beige combo (might not be everyone's cup of tea).
I also like that I will have PSE (retrofit). I really think a base, manual 991.1 with PSE is one of the best thrills out there... and I have test driven many 991s in various forms (owned many other 911s). I think I may be keeping this car for a while.

I would love your recommendations on what road to take and where to stop.
I am thinking I will do this in 4 days, 3 nights. Right now Santa Fe, SLC, Boise and arrive in Seattle.

What do you guys think? any alternatives.

oh and if anyone wants to hang out for a bit, I am game.
Will start on Friday with Houston to Santa Fe, then to SLC on Sat, Boise on Sunday and to Seattle on Monday.

Cheers!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
Hi all,

This Friday I will be picking up this 2012 MT 991 base in Houston and hit the road to Seattle.

This 911 replaces a black on black MT 991. I couldn't deal with black on black in Seattle anymore as a daily and love the Agate Grey on Beige combo (might not be everyone's cup of tea).
I also like that I will have PSE (retrofit). I really think a base, manual 991.1 with PSE is one of the best thrills out there... and I have test driven many 991s in various forms (owned many other 911s). I think I may be keeping this car for a while.

I would love your recommendations on what road to take and where to stop.
I am thinking I will do this in 4 days, 3 nights. Right now Santa Fe, SLC, Boise and arrive in Seattle.

What do you guys think? any alternatives.

oh and if anyone wants to hang out for a bit, I am game.
Will start on Friday with Houston to Santa Fe, then to SLC on Sat, Boise on Sunday and to Seattle on Monday.

Cheers!
Congrats! Love the color combination! This may be longer, but what about going through California, PCH up the coast, San Francisco, Napa Valley (wine country)?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
Congrats! Love the color combination! This may be longer, but what about going through California, PCH up the coast, San Francisco, Napa Valley (wine country)?
I am thinking about that yes. But I have done that drive before... albeit not in a 911...
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a pretty big section of PCH is closed due to a landslide right now... might want to check on that just in case.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

I made this drive back in 2003 with a newly acquired 67 Camaro RS (to Vancouver BC). My brother and I took our golf cubs and in 5 days played 5 rounds, made sure we "burned out" out of every parking lot we used and had an epic time! Excited for your trip!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by thought
I think a pretty big section of PCH is closed due to a landslide right now... might want to check on that just in case.
That's right!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by Cherryblock
I made this drive back in 2003 with a newly acquired 67 Camaro RS (to Vancouver BC). My brother and I took our golf cubs and in 5 days played 5 rounds, made sure we "burned out" out of every parking lot we used and had an epic time! Excited for your trip!
Haha, that's awesome.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

That's a great route. One big tip. Obey the speed laws when driving through Indian Reservations. Most Reservations have their own police force and the laws can be quite different.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by n2cars
That's a great route. One big tip. Obey the speed laws when driving through Indian Reservations. Most Reservations have their own police force and the laws can be quite different.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I drove back from Salt Lake City to Austin, TX and took a little bit of a different approach, but it does add significant time to the trip. Not sure if that is in the plan.

The one thing I particularly see along your route is your current section between Santa Fe area and Salt Lake City is going across some pretty, but pretty blazing hot country. You could instead go up through the western Colorado mountains instead without too much of a deviation. I came the reverse way and there are some wonderful stretches of roads along that route.

If you decide to consider this, you would go along a route defined by Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs, Durango, up through the San Juan Forest going through Silverton and Ouray (an utterly fantastic stretch of road!), on to Grand Junction, then along interstate 70, up 191 near Green River, angling up some sweeping windy roads: 6 to 89 to Interstate 15. While I was typing all this it occurred to me I should show you on a map.

According to Google, it appears to add less than 2 hours to the drive you showed between Santa Fe and Salt Lake but I think you'll find the mountain roads much more exhilarating! It will also be much cooler. I'd recommend planning your stops for food, gas, and rest wisely though as there are some stretches without a lot of services.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
I drove back from Salt Lake City to Austin, TX and took a little bit of a different approach, but it does add significant time to the trip. Not sure if that is in the plan.

The one thing I particularly see along your route is your current section between Santa Fe area and Salt Lake City is going across some pretty, but pretty blazing hot country. You could instead go up through the western Colorado mountains instead without too much of a deviation. I came the reverse way and there are some wonderful stretches of roads along that route.

If you decide to consider this, you would go along a route defined by Santa Fe, Pagosa Springs, Durango, up through the San Juan Forest going through Silverton and Ouray (an utterly fantastic stretch of road!), on to Grand Junction, then along interstate 70, up 191 near Green River, angling up some sweeping windy roads: 6 to 89 to Interstate 15. While I was typing all this it occurred to me I should show you on a map.

According to Google, it appears to add less than 2 hours to the drive you showed between Santa Fe and Salt Lake but I think you'll find the mountain roads much more exhilarating! It will also be much cooler. I'd recommend planning your stops for food, gas, and rest wisely though as there are some stretches without a lot of services.

This might work and sound like a better drive. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:06 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Let me suggest some alternatives, at least as far as SLC. I have driven from Houston (where I lived for 15 years) to SW Colorado (where I live now) at least 25 times. And I have lived and worked in SLC and driven across Utah many times.

First, from Houston to NM, I prefer going through Lubbock. This route avoids interstate as much as possible, and goes through Coleman (stop for lunch at Rancho Pizza!). We usually spent the night in Lubbock.

Once in SW Colorado, the route from Durango (my home town) north to Ouray includes some of the best driving roads in the US, and worth the time for the less direct route. And heading west to Naturita and north through Moab provides some of the most spectacular red rock scenery in the world.

From Moab north to SLC, there is still great scenery (but might seem less impressive after SW Colorado and SE Utah. After SLC, others can advise better than me. Let me know if you want more info.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Let me suggest some alternatives, at least as far as SLC. I have driven from Houston (where I lived for 15 years) to SW Colorado (where I live now) at least 25 times. And I have lived and worked in SLC and driven across Utah many times.

First, from Houston to NM, I prefer going through Lubbock. This route avoids interstate as much as possible, and goes through Coleman (stop for lunch at Rancho Pizza!). We usually spent the night in Lubbock.

Once in SW Colorado, the route from Durango (my home town) north to Ouray includes some of the best driving roads in the US, and worth the time for the less direct route. And heading west to Naturita and north through Moab provides some of the most spectacular red rock scenery in the world.

From Moab north to SLC, there is still great scenery (but might seem less impressive after SW Colorado and SE Utah. After SLC, others can advise better than me. Let me know if you want more info.
This is good. Will do!
Will also meet with my friend Jody for a little 993 4S réunion in Bend Oregon.
Thank you!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I agree with bkrantz. The drive from Ft Worth to Amarillo and into Northern NW is exceedingly boring.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
I'm curious about the out-of-state purchase experience, since deals are often out of state.

How did you deal with plates?
Private sale or dealership?
If it's a dealership, how did they deal with sales tax?
Will you be getting a sales tax benefit from your trade in - assuming that applies? Reading local state law on the subject is not as clear as it might be.
Did they take your old car in trade, and if so how'd they deal with inspecting it?

Quick Reply: Road Trip - Houston to Seattle - MT Carrera