Sponsored by:

Road Trip - Houston to Seattle - MT Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'm curious about the out-of-state purchase experience, since deals are often out of state.

How did you deal with plates?
Private sale or dealership?
If it's a dealership, how did they deal with sales tax?
Will you be getting a sales tax benefit from your trade in - assuming that applies? Reading local state law on the subject is not as clear as it might be.
Did they take your old car in trade, and if so how'd they deal with inspecting it?
Sold my car to my dealer in Seattle who bought the car for me in Houston. Got temporary plates and tax benefit in WA. All good.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
Sold my car to my dealer in Seattle who bought the car for me in Houston. Got temporary plates and tax benefit in WA. All good.
That's interesting. I had no idea a dealership would work that kind of deal, since it doesn't seem like there'd be anything in it for them aside from building a relationship with you. Unless the Houston dealership was willing to sell the car to the Seattle dealership for wholesale, which I wouldn't they'd do.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats! Colour combo looks great with the 20" Classics. Do you plan on putting any temporary protection on the front of your car for the long drive? I'm may be doing a similar 36 hour drive this starting this Friday from Tennessee to California (if all works out). I was planing on covering the front areas in blue painters tape to prevent rock chips for the 2,600 mile journey.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

the lightest weight non-GT 991 , a base 7MT NA 991.1 coupe esp if without the electromodulated / optional PASM ( and thus allowing
one to later retune , if so desired , the susp w old-school " analog " springs , shocks and bars ) is prob the last of the breed ! It's a rare combo ..enjoy it as much as the WSJ's Dan Neil did back in 2014 :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ful-1409940145

Last edited by MKW; 07-27-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
Congrats! Colour combo looks great with the 20" Classics. Do you plan on putting any temporary protection on the front of your car for the long drive? I'm may be doing a similar 36 hour drive this starting this Friday from Tennessee to California (if all works out). I was planing on covering the front areas in blue painters tape to prevent rock chips for the 2,600 mile journey.
I probably should have had a front bra added... but didn't. I am not sure a temporary cover would work. Do you?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
the lightest weight non-GT 991 , a base 6MT NA 991.1 coupe esp if without the electromodulated / optional PASM ( and thus allowing
one to later retune , if so desired , the susp w old-school " analog " springs , shocks and bars ) is prob the last of the breed ! It's a rare combo ..enjoy it as much as the WSJ's Dan Neil did back in 2014 :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ful-1409940145
I couldn't agree more. That is why I bought a base MT manual 991 last year. And now that I decided to keep it for a long time, I sourced the color combo I wanted, with cpo and PSE. Now looking into coilovers.
Thanks for the article!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I probably should have had a front bra added... but didn't. I am not sure a temporary cover would work. Do you?
This is the painters tape approach (not my car, random picture I found) I was planning on using for my "temporary" cover for the 3 days. People seem to use it for track days. I'm certain I'm going to get funny looks, but I think it'll give me some protection from unwanted chips in the prone areas.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please spend a day in Durango. One of the best US cities I've been to. They also have the most brewing companies per population.

What part of Houston you will pick up the car from? What time you will leave on Friday? Don't mind having a cold one if you're up for it.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by quattr0
Please spend a day in Durango. One of the best US cities I've been to. They also have the most brewing companies per population.

What part of Houston you will pick up the car from? What time you will leave on Friday? Don't mind having a cold one if you're up for it.
I will for sure do Durango. Can't wait to discover it.
I land at IAH tomorrow evening 6:35pm. Stay at the four point Sheraton clos to airport. Getting picked up in the AM by dealer, Porsche North Houston and will hit the road as soon as everything is ready.
Would be happy to meet if you have time tomorrow night or at dealership Friday AM!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:21 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man I live in the opposite directions. Good luck with the pickup and drive back! If you will stop by Durango, please have a pint and chicken waffles @ Steamworks brewing co or pizza @ Home Slice!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by quattr0
Sorry man I live in the opposite directions. Good luck with the pickup and drive back! If you will stop by Durango, please have a pint and chicken waffles @ Steamworks brewing co or pizza @ Home Slice!
👍🏼
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

See if there is an XPEL installer in Houston that has Xpel TracWrap, it makes for a good temporary front bra.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by shaginwagon
See if there is an XPEL installer in Houston that has Xpel TracWrap, it makes for a good temporary front bra.
Great idea. I will try. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:47 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

I will for sure do Durango. Can't wait to discover it.
I land at IAH tomorrow evening 6:35pm. Stay at the four point Sheraton clos to airport. Getting picked up in the AM by dealer, Porsche North Houston and will hit the road as soon as everything is ready.
Would be happy to meet if you have time tomorrow night or at dealership Friday AM!
Enjoy the trip. I would invite you to meet in Durango, but I am out of town this week.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:48 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Let me suggest some alternatives, at least as far as SLC. I have driven from Houston (where I lived for 15 years) to SW Colorado (where I live now) at least 25 times. And I have lived and worked in SLC and driven across Utah many times.

First, from Houston to NM, I prefer going through Lubbock. This route avoids interstate as much as possible, and goes through Coleman (stop for lunch at Rancho Pizza!). We usually spent the night in Lubbock.

Once in SW Colorado, the route from Durango (my home town) north to Ouray includes some of the best driving roads in the US, and worth the time for the less direct route. And heading west to Naturita and north through Moab provides some of the most spectacular red rock scenery in the world.

From Moab north to SLC, there is still great scenery (but might seem less impressive after SW Colorado and SE Utah. After SLC, others can advise better than me. Let me know if you want more info.
Picked up the car at Porsche North Houston. Great experience. Thanks to Tino Minetos who was great to work with. Drove non stop to Santa Fe in 105 degrees weather. Car did great.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Road Trip - Houston to Seattle - MT Carrera