Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base vs GTS

Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM
sammy5001
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base vs GTS

TL;DR: If you chose a base Carrera over the other more expensive 911 models for reasons other than price -- why, how do you like it, and do you have any regrets?

I currently own a 2015 GT-R and find it super boring. Sure it's fast and handles well but the lack of manual transmission and the crappy exhaust sound (sounds good outside from the back but it's horrible inside the cabin) really bothers me so I'm now looking at a 911.

Originally I was going for the GT3 but the wait list thing became a hurdle. On top of that, I came to realize that I'll just have the same issue as the GT-R that the car is lame unless you really rev it up which you can't really do on the street most of the time. Moreover if I were to get a manual ... it will probably stay in the first 2 gears most of the time and never hit the sweet rpms.

Then I looked at the GT4 which seemed like a good option as it has a much smaller engine, has the sound of the 911, and relatively accessible on carguru. But then I test drove a Caymen and came to realize that I prefer the handling of the 911 over the mid-engine despite it supposedly "in the right place".

So now I'm down to choosing either the base model or the GTS. Really the GTS has everything that I want -- power, torque, looks, etc. But ... I'm concerned that the extra power and torque may actually make the car less fun as it was the case with the GTR.

If you chose a base Carrera over the other more expensive 911 models for reasons other than price -- why, how do you like it, and do you have any regrets?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 PM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3.4 Carrera, 3.8 911, an incoming new GTS, 2015 GT-R and a GT4.

The R35 is the least "fun" to drive; it's big and heavy. Nice to look at and gets a lot of attention
The 3.4 has very little lowend and feels good in higher RPM, but feels like it runs out of breathe quickly
The 3.8 is pretty good; nice torque NA engine
The 3.0 is a better version of the outgoing 3.8; (I'm sure a lot of NA owners will disagree), but doesn't sound as good.

Visibility is better in the 991 compared to the R35. Interior fit/finish is better (if you get the leather package). In/egress feels a little better. Both have good double-clutch transmissions. Trunk space is better on GT-R. Rear seating feels better on 911.

I originally chose the base over the other models because 350hp with PDK is a lot for the street/highway and pretty great for the track.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

I specifically got the base engine because it had less power. Even so, the 911 in the base form has way more power than anyone needs on the street. The GTS would not be fun for me on the road and I need to row through the gears. (I'm a manual guy).

Instead, I put in about 27k of options that I wanted and it cost more than a GTS. Just one man's opinion.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

GTS very, very good. Also unassailable in terms of value if you like the GTS's wider bodywork and bumper/rocker/trim styling, want certain options (PSE, SPASM, etc), and are concerned about resale value vs a base Carrera.

Have put several hundred miles on the base 991.2 and the 991.2 GTS on good roads, with some closed-road testing as well. Liked the GTS, but loved the standard Carrera for some reason. Hard to say why, but there is something really nice about the 370-hp 3.0 in terms of character. It's a truly special engine—and it feels quick even when laden with the extra weight of a C4 Cab or Targa 4, something you couldnt say for the 3.4 in the standard 991.1. So it feels (and is) seriously quick in a C2 coupe. Some say the 3.0 isn't loud enough, or that its turbo lag is a deal killer. There's no arguing with them, as there is no right answer on either subject—it's too personal. You've got to try one to see for yourself, but the twin-turbo 3.0 is loud enough for me even without PSE, and I prefer the extremely minimal turbo lag paired with very useful torque over faster throttle response and waiting for torque to arrive after a couple of thousand rpm. Then again, the outgoing X51 and NA flat sixes do sound great.

In any event, I voted with my feet and ordered a base 991.2 with options that bring it into GTS territory. I like the styling better, I actually prefer the narrow body (makes the car a bit more placeable on the small backroads around here), and I like having the chance to select options that interest me more than those packaged into the GTS. It might not be the right 911 for someone else, but that's perfectly fine. Given your parameters and interests, your question is a really good one, and I think a base Carrera 7MT might be a great 911 for you. There is something very, very good about this one in particular.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Before I bought the C4 base, I did some reading about the car in automotive magazines. The reviewers I read recommended the the base. And the reason was it delivered power and, generally, responded like a car with a NA engine. And even saying it sounded like one.

I went with that and I've not been disappointed. The way I drive, boost gauge very seldom comes off zero; but, when it does come on I don't feel any lag. I guess that's when I should feel it.

Performs great, sounds great, looks great. I am, as they say, a happy camper!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Narrow body, 19in wheels for better ride, I don't like any of the GTS specific stuff so if I got a GTS it would be no alcantara, no desigantions, 5 lug etc. cost is part of it, but I could get an S for what I am paying for a C2. PTV sounds annoying rather than helpful. PDCC I have no interest in (I remember when Rover developed ACE which is the same concept in the late 90s). Also, less power from the same engine in my view means potential for longer life. I have vehicles with 300k plus so it is not a theoretical issue for me.

If I get my GT3 I plan to de-GT3 it too. I would spec it no leather/alcantara package to keep the bottom of the dash and door coves from being alcantara, I would remove the front lip, maybe delete the wing, swap out the remaining alcantara for leather and over its life it would probably get rear steer delete, the suspension upgraded to 20mm higher, etc. While I am a sucker for PTS and LTS, I have a view that the less complicated the better (I admit I am a Land Rover series/defender guy at heart and thought lotus had it right as far as sports cars and porsches have been too complicated since 1972. My view is that simplicity and basic is best).
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Pete, congrats on your order, I agree with you, 991.2 C2 MT is superb.

IMO Michael Febbo was not exaggerating when he said "On twisting roads, it flows and shoots from corner to corner. It plays in the most serious way. It taunts you to go faster while building your confidence."
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
Pete, congrats on your order, I agree with you, 991.2 C2 MT is superb.

IMO Michael Febbo was not exaggerating when he said "On twisting roads, it flows and shoots from corner to corner. It plays in the most serious way. It taunts you to go faster while building your confidence."
Thanks, and Febbo's article was superb. Well worth the read. His theory on a possible sweet spot for boost vs displacement is very interesting, and may be part of the base car's magic. Those wanting more power may/will disagree, but I find character and experience more important in a street car than speed.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...991-2-carrera/

This post to PCA's Facebook page has a raw, uncut in-car video that captures my unexpected enthusiasm for the car—and my shock at its speed and fun factor. That's a factory driving school instructor in the 991.1 GT3 RS ahead of me. In other words, a far better driver who knows the course in a 500-hp track weapon with PDK and 325 R-compounds vs a hack who saw the course once from the passenger seat in a base 991.2 Carrera with a manual transmission, summer tires, and no performance options other than 20s. On a track, the RS would've been in another zip code, but on a road, its driver was working the car (you could see its back end bobbing and digging for grip). The turbo torque is the only reason the C2 could keep up...but the shocker is how enthusiastic the 991.2 Carrera felt—and how enthusiastic it made me.
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-10/...updates-wvideo
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks, and Febbo's article was superb. Well worth the read. His theory on a possible sweet spot for boost vs displacement is very interesting, and may be part of the base car's magic. Those wanting more power may/will disagree, but I find character and experience more important in a street car than speed.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...991-2-carrera/
I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get the itch. That article makes me want to keep my car forever.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a base .2 with manual transmission. I had a .1S with manual transmission, SPASM, Chrono and PSE. The base is just as quick, more refined and I don't miss any of the sport features. I just drive around town, very fast at times, and it is more than enough car for me.

If I had money to burn, the question would be: Is a Turbo S worth 2 base 911s?

Is the Turbo S worth a base 911 and a new Panamera?

If I was billionaire wealthy, I would not be on this website and these would not even be questions.

The base car is more than enough 911
Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

As someone with a 991.1 C4S and a base panamera I can tell you that a 911 Turbo S is not worth both cars if you have a need for a sedan at times and a need for a sports car.

then again, I have 4 cars so I might not be the best person to give an opinion on that .
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
This post to PCA's Facebook page has a raw, uncut in-car video that captures my unexpected enthusiasm for the car—and my shock at its speed and fun factor. That's a factory driving school instructor in the 991.1 GT3 RS ahead of me. In other words, a far better driver who knows the course in a 500-hp track weapon with PDK and 325 R-compounds vs a hack who saw the course once from the passenger seat in a base 991.2 Carrera with a manual transmission, summer tires, and no performance options other than 20s. On a track, the RS would've been in another zip code, but on a road, its driver was working the car (you could see its back end bobbing and digging for grip). The turbo torque is the only reason the C2 could keep up...but the shocker is how enthusiastic the 991.2 Carrera felt—and how enthusiastic it made me.
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-10/...updates-wvideo
Awesome video. Thanks for posting. The fact that the GT3 RS couldn't run away from you was pretty telling about the Base's capability. Unless he was just playing with you and didn't want you to hurt yourself or the car???

Either way, the Base is a lot of car, a ton of fun and worth every penny.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I specifically got the base engine because it had less power. Even so, the 911 in the base form has way more power than anyone needs on the street. The GTS would not be fun for me on the road and I need to row through the gears. (I'm a manual guy).

Instead, I put in about 27k of options that I wanted and it cost more than a GTS. Just one man's opinion.
Remember that at 991.1 Base has ore power and less weight than many legacy 911S's.

Coming from a GTR - know that the 991.1 will feel like an S2000 in comparison by driving characteristics. Lighter, higher revving, planted but you can actually slide it around if you want to.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I didn't get an opportunity to test drive any of the 991.2's before my purchase, but my base engine'd 991.2 C4 has more than enough power on tap for me, I'm actually thankful that I have the base engine as I feel it strikes the perfect balance between speed, power, and usability on regular streets and highways. I don't know how I would be able to access the power on an S model or GTS model on regular roads if the power is that much bigger, as in my base engine I'm already constantly monitoring my speedo to make sure I'm not too far over the speed limit during spirited driving

It's a ton of fun to feel that instant surge of torque and get blasted in your seat in the base 991.2 engine, all the way up to redline like merging onto a freeway in sport+. A lot of people are not fans of the 991.2 because of the turbos, but I'm actually growing to like it more and more the more I drive my car as I feel like Porsche did a great job making the engine feel "somewhat" naturally aspirated with what feels like smaller turbos, but at the same time adding in immense torque. Maybe Porsche does know what they are doing with the introduction of turbochargers to the Carrera lineup, but just my own humble opinion and I do indeed miss the raspy NA flat-6 sound.

I had a lot of experience with the 991.1 base engine and I'd agree with others that that 3.4L engine felt underpowered, and you had to wind it out to get some oomph out of it and then it felt a bit "out of breath."

But for the 991.2 engines with the introduction of the turbos and immense low-down torque, I can't see why anyone would need more than the base engine *for regular road situations* in my opinion. If you are canyon carving, going to the track, or anything above regular public roads and freeways, I'm not knowledgable about how sufficient the base engine would be...

Just my 2 cents to add perspective as I also wrestled with if the .2 base engine would have enough power, where now I feel like it almost has too much power for my daily drives. YMMV.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a highly optioned base .2 with 7MT and now I want to add a .2 GTS 7MT, so far, I have been told to spend the money on a turbo or just wait for the next gen.

Prior to making decision for ordering my base, I had a chance to attend Porsche Driving experience event and tried almost all the .2 models except for GTS (wasn't available yet) and turbo/s. I chose the base over all others at the end due to that it feel like the most "balanced" one to me. I'd like to add something more track purposed but it's almost impossible to get into those GT cars unless I am willing to swallow the insane markups. My local dealers have made it clear, they won't sell GT cars to non-GT car owners. If you want a GT car, you have to own/buy one and be willing to trade that in when ordering the new one. What can I say/do, I am just a nobody lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base vs GTS