Sponsored by:

Base vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM
m_dennis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a base 991.2 (PDK) and just got a 991.2 GTS MT

The base is plenty fast for the street (or track really), very composed and no real drama.

The biggest thing I find with the GTS is it will step out a bit under hard acceleration and be a bit more exciting. I am coming from a Alfa Romeo 4C so everything feels more solid than that crazy go kart
Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The only reason I would think one would go with a base vs. a GTS would be if you couldn't spec out the car the way you wanted within your budget. (or if you didnt like the wide body, but Ive never heard any red blooded person say that with any conviction)

You can basically build the GTS to any spec, so why not go with the superior performance platform. I personally think that the base performance, coming out of a GTR, may leave you wanting. I drove it and while it is an excellent performer, I wanted more power. Just for reference, my other car is a tuned f10 M5, so I am a bit biased in terms of power.

Either way you'll probably be happy. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

To the OP, the 991.2 base Carrera is a shiny spot in the range - and most wouldn't have said that about the base 911 in prior generations. The GTS offers a good deal more speed and the interior is a nicer place to be. Coming from a GTR the interior might be nice but the speed won't wow you.

Originally Posted by DNorby
If I had money to burn, the question would be: Is a Turbo S worth 2 base 911s?
Is the Turbo S worth a base 911 and a new Panamera?
That's just diminishing returns, and in most all cases the answer is no if you must stretch to afford it or you don't have the other car(s) or things you want/need alongside it to have a reasonably consistent standard of living.
-Is a 918/P1 worth 2-3x 720S?
-Is a 720S worth 2x 911 TTS/GT3RS?
-Is a TTS/GT3RS worth 2x base 911 C2s?
-Is a base 911 worth 2x base Corvettes?
-Is a base Corvette worth 2x Mustang GTs?

Originally Posted by py0413
I have a highly optioned base .2 with 7MT and now I want to add a .2 GTS 7MT, so far, I have been told to spend the money on a turbo or just wait for the next gen.
I agree with them but wouldn't conclude anything negative about the GTS on that account. The character of the Carrera GTS is not going to be fundamentally different from that of your Carrera. It would be different with the TT/S so you wouldn't be trading like for like.

Originally Posted by stout
All up, the experience told me the 991.2 Carrera is a stunningly good and complete 911. Maybe more so than any "straight Carrera" in memory. The drive on good open roads around the island only underlined something far more important: the fun factor of this Carrera.
Yep. I think it is a stunning value—maybe a better value, even, than the GT4. Just isn't as headline-grabbing or over-the-top sexy.
Can't comment on the GT4, but I was also really impressed with my test drive in the 991.2 C2. Excellent car.

Originally Posted by stout
...I would, however, consider a base 991.2 Turbo (also insanely good, and good value next to a loaded 991.2 GTS PDK) or maybe a used GT4 for track days. The Turbo shouldn't be as good as it is this time, but it really is GOOD. And sharp and actually fun to drive again. I might rather have a 991.2 Turbo than a 991.1 GT3 or GT3 RS, and that conclusion really shocked me. It worked well on track, on tiny (!) back roads, and (of course) in the day to day commute. It might be the ultimate two-pedal, 2+2 sports car for the real world.
This makes me happy to read

Originally Posted by medacus
I had a base 991.1 and recently traded that in for a 2017 turbo with PDCC and pccb. While the car is crazy fast and I've always wanted a turbo it is too much car for the road in the sense every time I want to push it I'm in go to jail territory speed wise. Although my base 991.1 was slower it was enjoyable working at getting the power.
Agreed. Don't want to get rid of the turbo though.

Originally Posted by bogdan_p
Nothing I could do to a S or GTS would have made them in the same ballpark performance wise as my outgoing Viper, so the base 991 seemed like the best value. It's also the most inexpensive way to get into a current 911, and test the waters. Sadly, all the hype and accolades are real...it's basically the best thing since sliced bread.
This made me laugh - I've been impressed with Porsche the same way. They really know how to make a car. That's definitely something that doesn't come through in the spec sheets.

Also when non-car people ask about whether the 911 is worth the money I'll tell them plainly that a new one is NOT a great value - if the goal is to make money go far you'll be happier with something else. Instead the 911 is just an exquisite car. You almost have to set the value piece aside and instead decide if you want to pay for an experience. (Now for people that appreciate cars I expect they'll assign value to those intangibles so it brings about a discussion.)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
The only reason I would think one would go with a base vs. a GTS would be if you couldn't spec out the car the way you wanted within your budget. (or if you didnt like the wide body, but Ive never heard any red blooded person say that with any conviction)

You can basically build the GTS to any spec, so why not go with the superior performance platform. I personally think that the base performance, coming out of a GTR, may leave you wanting. I drove it and while it is an excellent performer, I wanted more power. Just for reference, my other car is a tuned f10 M5, so I am a bit biased in terms of power.

^ Good other side of the fence. For people who like power and the wider rear hips—or will buy certain options anyway—the GTS presents a compelling case. And some folks simply like having the latest tech to experience—which is where a GTS with PDK, PDCC, RWS, PCCB, etc might make a lot of sense...though I would go base 991.2 Turbo at that point. But maybe someone wants all the text except PDK? Then a loaded GTS is the car.

This why it's great that there are so many configurations of the 911 to choose from.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

[Quote]Also when non-car people ask about whether the 911 is worth the money I'll tell them plainly that a new one is NOT a great value - if the goal is to make money go far you'll be happier with something else. Instead the 911 is just an exquisite car. You almost have to set the value piece aside and instead decide if you want to pay for an experience.[Quote]

Nice sentiment. It is exquisite and there is nothing that compares to it. The form follows the function. There is no need for odd creases or design bobbles on this car. Perhaps that what makes it so appealing to me. A clean evolution of design and performance can be traced through the years. Porsche created a life for this car that even they couldn't kill.

Gobs of power can be fun, but is not required to enjoy this car. My personal opinion is that Porsche gives each enthusiast the opportunity to create a car that is perfect for them at the moment they order. My C2 is perfect for me. I still enjoy watching this video:
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I think most that ask this really want the GTS - you should get this to satisfy your ego. Do you need it? Obsoletely not.... but you WANT it and that is okay. Lay people can't tell the difference anyway.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan Nagy;14357023][Quote]Also when non-car people ask about whether the 911 is worth the money I'll tell them plainly that a new one is NOT a great value - if the goal is to make money go far you'll be happier with something else. Instead the 911 is just an exquisite car. You almost have to set the value piece aside and instead decide if you want to pay for an experience.

Nice sentiment. It is exquisite and there is nothing that compares to it. The form follows the function. There is no need for odd creases or design bobbles on this car. Perhaps that what makes it so appealing to me. A clean evolution of design and performance can be traced through the years. Porsche created a life for this car that even they couldn't kill.

Gobs of power can be fun, but is not required to enjoy this car. My personal opinion is that Porsche gives each enthusiast the opportunity to create a car that is perfect for them at the moment they order. My C2 is perfect for me. I still enjoy watching this video: https://youtu.be/ISIUGwt_t6w
I love that video. Especially when he says "it has 19" wheels, so it rides nice".
To the OP- The fundamental question you need to ask yourself is how much you want to spend. Prevailing opinion here is that you don't need the highest power version to be very happy with your purchase. I traded a stop light rocket (2014 E550 Cabriolet) for my 911. All the E550 did was go fast in a straight line. Anything else was futile.
When it came down to the version of 911 that worked for me, the .2 felt really quick and was priced at a point I could live with and still meet or exceed my financial goals. Maybe if I didn't own a Cayenne and 4 other cars, have a kid in college and have a desire to stop working some day, I would have gone for the GTS or Turbo. I can live with the difference in performance.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Its purely dependant on what you like about, and, what you want from a car. There is no right or wrong answer. Thats the beauty of the 911 platform there is something for just about everyone.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:37 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD

I am not the OP but I have been debating the same things, meaning is the GTS too powerful or more than necessary? Reason is (former e90 M3 owner) that I never though when driving that car that it was underpowered or said to myself this thing needs 50 more HP. I appreciate the GTS and GT3 a lot and would love to have one but the law enforcement in my neck of the woods is off the hook.

Another factor must have to be cost. If we are talking $30K price difference or more (heck could be $50K in relation to base 911 vs GT3) then I can buy a real DD lets say E-class or MDX (I am not saying I can't anyway, but just easier to justify spending $150K on two cars than one). I realize that last bit is something of a cop out or a straw man argument. In that I should not mix the idea that the GT3 or GTS both are great value cars, but if in my situation I can get a $99K base and have almost as much fun, thats one option to consider.

here is my post where I was debating this. Basically can be re-titled something like what shoud I get that is better than an E90 M3 slightly smaller in size but equal or better on performance, and just as comfortable?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1001...-base-car.html
Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^ The E90 M3 isn't particularly good from the performance or handling point of view - its a fairly heavy sedan thats under braked and struggles with traction.

I tend to find with BMW M3/M4 owners its a cost trade off - they are built to a price and thus suffer that compromise, plus the modified econobox chassis.

Consider a 718S, if cost is an issue - fantastic drivers cars - only two seats (not that the seats in a back of an M3/4 are much use).

Quick Reply: Base vs GTS