Sponsored by:

Base vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Awesome video. Thanks for posting. The fact that the GT3 RS couldn't run away from you was pretty telling about the Base's capability. Unless he was just playing with you and didn't want you to hurt yourself or the car???
Possible, but I doubt he was holding much back for a few reasons. While neither he nor I were driving like we wanted to put a new 911 into a low concrete or rock wall that day—who would unless they were truly racing?—both my co-driver and I could see the back end of that RS bobbing and (ever so slightly) sliding as its driver looked for grip out of the turns. From what I could see, he was working that RS on the way out of turns. The Carrera had less grip and slower shifts, but it had far more accessible torque—a serious equalizer, even with a slower driver (me). Also, those instructors usually drive with one hand holding a radio to talk to the cars following them—I've been in a 918 lead car slid sideways with one hand on the wheel, the shifter in D, and the instructor yakking away. The guy in the RS put the radio down on his way up the hill. Finally, when you get to the end of the video, and I say I can smell brakes, I really could. They didn't fade, but we didn't hang out at the bottom of the hill because I was worried they were going to be damaged if we didn't keep airflow to them.

All up, the experience told me the 991.2 Carrera is a stunningly good and complete 911. Maybe more so than any "straight Carrera" in memory. The drive on good open roads around the island only underlined something far more important: the fun factor of this Carrera.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Either way, the Base is a lot of car, a ton of fun and worth every penny.
Yep. I think it is a stunning value—maybe a better value, even, than the GT4. Just isn't as headline-grabbing or over-the-top sexy.

Originally Posted by py0413
I have a highly optioned base .2 with 7MT and now I want to add a .2 GTS 7MT, so far, I have been told to spend the money on a turbo or just wait for the next gen.

Prior to making decision for ordering my base, I had a chance to attend Porsche Driving experience event and tried almost all the .2 models except for GTS (wasn't available yet) and turbo/s. I chose the base over all others at the end due to that it feel like the most "balanced" one to me. I'd like to add something more track purposed but it's almost impossible to get into those GT cars unless I am willing to swallow the insane markups. My local dealers have made it clear, they won't sell GT cars to non-GT car owners. If you want a GT car, you have to own/buy one and be willing to trade that in when ordering the new one. What can I say/do, I am just a nobody lol
Sad to see this. Maybe call other CDN dealers, such as Pfaff, and tell them your plight? There's gotta be a dealer up there that does business on MSRP and would want to find a new GT customer. I would not, however, add a 991.2 GTS track car to a base 991.2—it's really good, but not track-focused enough and too close to your base 991.2 in a lot of areas. I would, however, consider a base 991.2 Turbo (also insanely good, and good value next to a loaded 991.2 GTS PDK) or maybe a used GT4 for track days. The Turbo shouldn't be as good as it is this time, but it really is GOOD. And sharp and actually fun to drive again. I might rather have a 991.2 Turbo than a 991.1 GT3 or GT3 RS, and that conclusion really shocked me. It worked well on track, on tiny (!) back roads, and (of course) in the day to day commute. It might be the ultimate two-pedal, 2+2 sports car for the real world.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

forgetting about track for this discussion but folks who have PDCC in the S model , does it not help in flat cornering on Streets and better grip on street corners ?

isn't PDCC and RWS street worthy options and good reasons to go for S ?

I have a highly optioned base .2 with 7MT and now I want to add a .2 GTS 7MT, so far, I have been told to spend the money on a turbo or just wait for the next gen.

Prior to making decision for ordering my base, I had a chance to attend Porsche Driving experience event and tried almost all the .2 models except for GTS (wasn't available yet) and turbo/s. I chose the base over all others at the end due to that it feel like the most "balanced" one to me. I'd like to add something more track purposed but it's almost impossible to get into those GT cars unless I am willing to swallow the insane markups. My local dealers have made it clear, they won't sell GT cars to non-GT car owners. If you want a GT car, you have to own/buy one and be willing to trade that in when ordering the new one. What can I say/do, I am just a nobody lol
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Johnny at Downtown Porsche in Toronto will order one for you.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by casaforte9
forgetting about track for this discussion but folks who have PDCC in the S model , does it not help in flat cornering on Streets and better grip on street corners ?

isn't PDCC and RWS street worthy options and good reasons to go for S ?
Fwiw, the only chassis option that the S unlocks that makes me think twice about an S is the lower Sport PASM suspension.

Everyone has an opinion, but mine is that the 991.2 becomes faster and "more accomplished" but also less entertaining/simple/fun as you make it more complex with added "systems." Drove stripped base 991.2 Carrera MT on 19s and also the same car on 20s back to back against 991.2S with PDK and RWS in Tenerife, and the S's rear end was noticeably more stable under hard braking on the way into high-speed turns but less "alive" in my hands in all situations except straight-line acceleration. Then drove a 991.2S with Sport PASM, PSE, and a manual but no PDCC or RWS on really good roads in CA and it was really nice.

PDCC has been improved in the 991.2...but it was a big disconnect for me in the early 991.1—especially with 991.1 steering feel. I have no doubt it improves the Ring time, but I just don't think a low sports car needs it and never find myself wishing a 991.2 without PDCC would lean less in corners. It sure helps in Cayennes and heavier vehicles, however.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM
medacus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a base 991.1 and recently traded that in for a 2017 turbo with PDCC and pccb. While the car is crazy fast and I've always wanted a turbo it is too much car for the road in the sense every time I want to push it I'm in go to jail territory speed wise. Although my base 991.1 was slower it was enjoyable working at getting the power.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

RWS and PDCC just seem like things that will break over time to me. If I ordered a GTS, I would spec normal PASM and skip the SPASM. But that is how I roll (pun intended).
Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by medacus
I had a base 991.1 and recently traded that in for a 2017 turbo with PDCC and pccb. While the car is crazy fast and I've always wanted a turbo it is too much car for the road in the sense every time I want to push it I'm in go to jail territory speed wise. Although my base 991.1 was slower it was enjoyable working at getting the power.
Heh I can understand this...I'm on lists for the .2 GT3 and thinking of buying a CPO 991.1 GT3 if no luck there, but I am very apprehensive for that fact that I might never really be able to enjoy the capabilities of the car. Already hard enough to enjoy my base 991.2 without reaching dangerous speeds.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Johnny at Downtown Porsche in Toronto will order one for you.
Thanks for the tip, I will reach out to Johnny.

In the past, I had contact other Porsche dealer from other province and was told they are not allowed to sell GT cars to customer in other region and it is a policy from Porsche Canada.

I think the best way to find out is the get in touch with Porsche Canada Customer Relation department and figure out if those so called "policies" from dealers are really from Porsche Canada
Old 07-26-2017, 05:54 PM
medacus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 PM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sammy5001
TL;DR: If you chose a base Carrera over the other more expensive 911 models for reasons other than price -- why, how do you like it, and do you have any regrets?
I have a 991.1 base with a 7-speed manual.

Here is what I drove before the purchase: 991.1 S with manual and PDK. The .2 cars were not out.

I generally use the car for pleasure drives, autocross, track days, and road trips. If my commute was more than 4 miles, I would use the car significantly more.

Nothing I could do to a S or GTS would have made them in the same ballpark performance wise as my outgoing Viper, so the base 991 seemed like the best value. It's also the most inexpensive way to get into a current 911, and test the waters. Sadly, all the hype and accolades are real...it's basically the best thing since sliced bread.

Besides the comfort (2k mile roadtrip with wife), practicality, ergonomics, and sound; it's a wonderful to row the gearbox and point in the direction of a windy road.

Regrets? I didn't buy one sooner.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
RWS and PDCC just seem like things that will break over time to me. If I ordered a GTS, I would spec normal PASM and skip the SPASM. But that is how I roll (pun intended).
SPASM is a lot like PCCB in that it's the same basic concept but a bit keener/sharper—in other words, it sharpens and heightens the experience rather than insulates.

RWS and PDCC are both effective systems that increase performance, but both introduce more systems and brains—so they may not be a good choice for those who want a simpler, more "honest" experience in a 911. Agree on the idea that they're more stuff to break, but they seem like pretty reliable systems to me.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:16 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Finally, when you get to the end of the video, and I say I can smell brakes, I really could. They didn't fade, but we didn't hang out at the bottom of the hill because I was worried they were going to be damaged if we didn't keep airflow to them.
Whether or not my 991.2 C2 MT factory iron brakes will turn out to be adequate for my backroads remains an open issue. On my usual 80 mile loop with 8,000 feet of climbing/descending, no issues, IMO great brake feel and modulation, and the tuning of the ABS control is excellent. However I have yet to try the longer descents in the Sierra, so the jury is still out. As a backup, I have researched a $8K Brembo GT iron system, 380/32mm 6-piston front, 345/28mm 4-piston rear.

My 996.2 GT3 ate pads and rotors at a frightening rate, but that was on track, a different situation entirely.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Boba_kz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy GTS and make Techart tuning - http://www.techart.de/no_cache/en/ne...s-modelle.html
))
Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
SPASM is a lot like PCCB in that it's the same basic concept but a bit keener/sharper—in other words, it sharpens and heightens the experience rather than insulates.

RWS and PDCC are both effective systems that increase performance, but both introduce more systems and brains—so they may not be a good choice for those who want a simpler, more "honest" experience in a 911. Agree on the idea that they're more stuff to break, but they seem like pretty reliable systems to me.
I am sure they are now, but my expected car ownership timeline is complete structural failure due to corrosion (even that is not a deal breaker for me as I put new frames under two of my land rovers) which I now try to avoid by not driving in salt or my death and I try to order vehicles with that in mind. I am gentle on engines and transmissions it's the little stuff that drives me nuts with my aging fleet. Like seat switching failing or the battery in the memory seat ECU leaking and corroding the board away or things like steering racks leaking due to aging seals (the two extra racks in the RWS mean 3x to fail) or joints, sensors and pumps failing over time (PDCC). None of these are 991 specific, but I have no reason to believe any of the upgrades are truly lifetime reliable which is my standard for ordering options.

Just give me manual windows, manual locks, manual seats, rubber mats, and a simple DIN radio. Porsche can keep the rest of the stuff.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Just give me manual windows, manual locks, manual seats, rubber mats, and a simple DIN radio. Porsche can keep the rest of the stuff.
Heated seats, you gotta have heated seats!

Quick Reply: Base vs GTS