Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Don't sell your GTS"

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:36 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Anybody know exact number of 991.1 GTS built?

The number may be available, but I have not been able to find out exactly how many 991.1 GTS cars Porsche actually built.

I do agree that it looks like the 991.2 cars (all variations) will end up being a smaller number than the 991.1. We do need to remember that Porsche started the 991.1 with the Model Year 2012. That means five (5) model years through MY 2016. The 991 was considered a completely new design, so it's natural that it sold in relatively good numbers.

If I have the correct information, it looks like the 991.2 will be built for MY 2017 and 2018, with some limited production cars possibly being considered 991.2 MY 2019. I do recall that the 997.2 GTS was MY 2011 and 2012, and there were at least some of them still available new after the MY 2012 991.1 came out.

I ordered my MY 2015 991.1 GTS on January 2, 2015. At the time it seemed there would be limited dealer allocations for GTS builds. That, along with the credible rumors that all regular production 991.2 cars would be turbos, caused many of us to grab a GTS build slot earlier than we would have otherwise. Nobody knew for certain what any 991.2 GTS would have for a motor.

I have not driven a 991.2 GTS yet, but I did drive a base 991.2 Cab with PDK. I really was surprised by how quick it was. And, I really liked it. It is definitely different from the NA cars, but to me it's a worthy evolution of the 911.

Overall, the biggest issue for me is that these wonderful cars keep getting (and feeling) bigger. I'm old, so for me the 993 is actually the perfect size for a 911. I am also not a particularly big guy (5'11" and about 180 lbs.), so there is that factor as well.

As long as each of us finds what we like, nothing else matters. All I care about is how long, and how many more miles, I'll be able to drive a 911 before somebody finally takes the keys away. From my ancient perspective, trying to keep the miles off your 911 is going to turn out to be something you regret much later. Not only that, but these cars really need to be driven on a regular basis, the way they are meant to be. My cars want to get out on the road and cut loose every chance they get. Who am I to argue with them?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GTS build will finalize in a week. I think I will find it as others have as a "sweet spot"in the 911 model range. Rear wheel drive, coupe, pdk, front axle lift, blind spot mirror, colored lettering on rear,139K all said.
All these cars are different. I will be selling my 2016 GT4 to a friend as I will be doing much less tracking and it has all the safety bits like Cantrell harness bar, bucket seats and Schroth harnesses.
I will be trading in my used 2015 Turbo S (one previous owner )with 9300 miles. Sales tax offset in WA state. I am just too conservative to drive it really fast and don't want to track it. Stupid fast but a bit heavy. Previously had a 991.1 GT3 and 2007 997.1 GT3. They were all wonderful cars in their own way. Tracked those quite a bit.
Don't get a car as an investment ; enjoy it while you can. IMO
Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
My cars want to get out on the road and cut loose every chance they get. Who am I to argue with them?
Any argument with your 911 should always result in cutting loose on the road.

I have a .1 GTS Cab and I have been thinking a lot about getting a GT3 as a replacement. Not that I have an allocation but just thinking about the preference.

I have decided that I need to switch off the "what's next" car and just enjoy the perfection that is the 991.1 GTS Cab.

Top up, Top down. On the back roads, highway or track. Solo, or taking the kids on a joy ride or on Saturday date nights with my wife, there is really nothing lacking in this all around sports car. It never feels underpowered, sounds great, stunning looks but understated when compared to an exotic.

If it holds its value well or not, or one day appreciates it won't matter that much because it delivered the value I wanted it to when I originally bought it and then some,
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Amen to these last posts. I had a 2016 4S and it was a great car and sounded super. Now I have a 2018 GTS and its a really super car too in different ways. All better mostly. Sound is good but not as good as my 4S and the GTS seems be a bit more refined - which is good and bad - kinda like watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your 911. I also have a 1976 911S "outlaw car" with a 3.0. Obviously the 76 against the GTS is like bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight but still, it is as much fun and in some ways more fun to drive. I love them all - good thing they aren't women.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Not for sale
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I love the .1 GTS, but have color and option preferences. Started looking 2 years ago. But have not found one with Premium Package Plus with Alcantera delete, with my option and color preferences. So I gave up and bought a nice CPO 2015 C2S with 3100 miles in June 2016. I love it dearly, but keep on looking. Hey. I'm retired, 72 and healthy, but only have a finite number of years b4 I can't even drive. Meanwhile, I also like the .2 GTS, but can't/won't spring for a new one. I just have not found a used one the way I want it at a price I'm willing to pay. I keep looking tho... Meanwhile, it seems like my well-optioned CPO 2015 C2S is still worth what I paid for it in June 2016. But I do take very good care of my gorgeous garage queen, and it has only 7400 miles on it....
Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Amen to these last posts. I had a 2016 4S and it was a great car and sounded super. Now I have a 2018 GTS and its a really super car too in different ways. All better mostly. Sound is good but not as good as my 4S and the GTS seems be a bit more refined - which is good and bad - kinda like watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your 911. I also have a 1976 911S "outlaw car" with a 3.0. Obviously the 76 against the GTS is like bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight but still, it is as much fun and in some ways more fun to drive. I love them all - good thing they aren't women.
2016 C4S here. Love the new GTS but will not sell the 2016. Currently in the market for an air cooled 911.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Texas Car Lover-

Well said other than the fact my mother-in-law is actually super sweet.

I had a '16 c2s and traded for an '18 GTS primarily to get into a manual. I'm too picky about specs so I opted out of waiting for the right .1 manual to come along. I'm curious as to why you made the change. Care to share? Thanks. Mike
Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Texas Car Lover-

Well said other than the fact my mother-in-law is actually super sweet.

I had a '16 c2s and traded for an '18 GTS primarily to get into a manual. I'm too picky about specs so I opted out of waiting for the right .1 manual to come along. I'm curious as to why you made the change. Care to share? Thanks. Mike
My mother in law is super sweet too - just a southern expression

My 4S was my first NEW Porsche. I wanted a new one for a long time and finally had the time, my kids of an age and the cost wasn't a burden as in my younger years. Loved that car and it fueled the beginnings of my passion for all things Porsche. Next my wife got a Cayenne and it's possible I will get a 993 if I can locate the right one (had the 76). Anyway, my 4s was "off the lot" and wasn't really spec'd that well - base car but 4s so nice but a year later wanted what I wanted and decided the .2 GTS was for me and not a 4 wheel drive car for personal reasons. But I wanted a wide body and the GTS is the way to go if you want a wide body rear drive 991 with a back seat. The .2 GTS is quicker, faster, handles better etc. etc. Doesn't make it more interesting to drive than the 4s. Every second in the 4s was every bit the thrill that my GTS is for differing reasons. My GTS is just spec'd perfectly to my liking.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Actually the 991.2 GTS will be more rare than the 991.1 GTS. The 991.2 GTs will only be produced for 2017 and 2018. The 2019 will be a new body style and the 2016 is 991.1. Also for 2017 is was only produced since April I believe. So total production time for the 991.2 GTS is only about 18 mos assuming the new 2019 version starts delivering this time next year. 991.1's were produce much longer. So it will be interesting to see the values a decade from now with the 991.2's delivering more performance in much fewer production numbers of the same body style.

Looks like this was right except .2 will cease production in May so shorter that I anticipated above last year. The NA car to have for sure is the .2 GT3 and it ends production roughly September/October with far fewer produced - especially manual cars.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

As interesting as it might be, why does it matter? Both 991.1 and 991.2 GTSs are excellent cars. Which one will be more sought after long run only time will tell. None of them is real collectible nor will it ever be. So why not drive one and enjoy it and stop worrying about de/apreciation?
Few years down the road we may all be surprised by new jungle we will be living in wrt auto industry as a whole and consumer demand for specific models in particular. As far as I am concerned I will keep my NA MT GTS as the thread starter suggested no matter if the OP will sell his now
The only dilemma for me would be if I get a GT3T allocation (which is highly improbable). But even then the odds are I will keep the GTS.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
As interesting as it might be, why does it matter? Both 991.1 and 991.2 GTSs are excellent cars. Which one will be more sought after long run only time will tell. None of them is real collectible nor will it ever be. So why not drive one and enjoy it and stop worrying about de/apreciation?
Few years down the road we may all be surprised by new jungle we will be living in wrt auto industry as a whole and consumer demand for specific models in particular. As far as I am concerned I will keep my NA MT GTS as the thread starter suggested no matter if the OP will sell his now
The only dilemma for me would be if I get a GT3T allocation (which is highly improbable). But even then the odds are I will keep the GTS.

It doesn't matter like most discussions on this board. Just interesting to some. That is why you can pic topic of interest.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Couldn't agree more. The only certainty is how much you enjoy your car. What your car will be worth tomorrow, much less a year or more later is far from certain. I went to the Porsche USA site, and saw a lot of 991 GTSs for sale in my area with asking prices ranging from the mid $90Ks to the $130Ks, depending on mileage. It's important to keep in mind that these are asking prices, and not sold prices.When I traded-in my 2010 997S with 12K miles in 2013; the dealer gave me $71K. A week later I went to the dealer's web site and saw the car advertised for $89K. The original MSRP was $105K. I have no idea what it sold for, but it was sold within three weeks.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast1
Couldn't agree more. The only certainty is how much you enjoy your car. What your car will be worth tomorrow, much less a year or more later is far from certain. I went to the Porsche USA site, and saw a lot of 991 GTSs for sale in my area with asking prices ranging from the mid $90Ks to the $130Ks, depending on mileage. It's important to keep in mind that these are asking prices, and not sold prices.When I traded-in my 2010 997S with 12K miles in 2013; the dealer gave me $71K. A week later I went to the dealer's web site and saw the car advertised for $89K. The original MSRP was $105K. I have no idea what it sold for, but it was sold within three weeks.
I agree too. The discussion came bc an NA owner was making the claim that the NA GTS would be rare ie more rare than the new .2 GTS and not to sell it. In actuality, the .2 car will be more rare having a much shorter production period. The point was a. that claim wasn't necessarily true and b. they are both terrific - drive what you want. There had been alot of .2 bashing due to the turbos. I really don't have a dog in the fight as I have a .2 GTS and a .2 GT3 allocation so I love them both and appreciate both for different reasons.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (03-25-2021)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree too. The discussion came bc an NA owner was making the claim that the NA GTS would be rare ie more rare than the new .2 GTS and not to sell it. In actuality, the .2 car will be more rare having a much shorter production period. The point was a. that claim wasn't necessarily true and b. they are both terrific - drive what you want. There had been alot of .2 bashing due to the turbos. I really don't have a dog in the fight as I have a .2 GTS and a .2 GT3 allocation so I love them both and appreciate both for different reasons.
As a many decade owner of 911s, I have found there is one constant with Porsche owners: they don't like change.

Quick Reply: "Don't sell your GTS"