Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget $80k...what should I get?! 991.1S VS 4S VS 997GTS/Turbo VS 991.2 CPO??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
exactly - that's why I said that a base stripper gets you to 98%+ of the 911 experience.

Also - I say it all the time but the general public can't tell the difference in just any Porsche from any generation.... much less spot the difference in trim levels or a highly optioned car. Hell - I had to coach a guy at a recent PCA event that best way to spot a base vs an S is the color of the brakes. Black = base, red = S, yellow = hurricane; as in cost more than hurricane damage to a double wide.

If you drive down the road in a 20K 996 or a 175K 991.2 - most people don't know the difference. Many people would also argue that the 996 is the better driver. Old grumpy men would testify that a 35K air cooled is the better experience. Just goes to show you that opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got one and most stink. Me - I douche frequently so my comments on the 991.2 are for real.
at the hurricane comment...

At PCA events I had many folks baffled with my aerokit cup - they knew my car wasn't a GT3 but several asked how did I get a GT3 wing? They were shocked to hear that it was an OEM option. Many recognized the yellow PCCBs but more than once I have had people ask me what kind of exhaust I have (it's an OEM PSE). Heck, you cannot even tell what year a 991.1 is from the outside except for a handful of tells (4/4S came out in '13, same with Aerokit cup/ducktail, GTS later).

And I absolutely agree that most lay people cannot tell one Porsche 911 from another.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

So if most of your driving was <50mph...back and forth to work...would that change your opinion on which car you would go with?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

If most of your use is going to be DD/commuting type of stuff, you might want to go base .2, PASM, PDK, 14 way seats. You give up a lot, but you get the additional torque, better PCM, more direct steering, slightly more refined suspension, etc. Again, if your primary use is going to be DD. And, if so, go white or silver, as it'll show the dings and scratches less.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, those are all great choices.

i have a good bit of experience in a 997.1tt, and personally am not much of a fan of the car.

the sound is not very good, even with an aftermarket exhaust, the road noise is very loud, the build quality and technology is not great and dated. The power is great, but it's more than I need. It also has quite a bit of corner entry understeer and can snap oversteer if you lift or do something stupid. It's also fairly heavy at 35xx lbs.

i think the 991 cars are a huge upgrade over the 997. Looks better to me inside and out, more than enough technology for me, and is light and plenty quick.

the suspension changes between the 991 and 997 to me are extreme. The new cars are so much more settled and balanced, it is a huge upgrade to the driving experience for me. My SPASM 991.1S handles phenomenally well on and off track.

the 3.8 also has a ton of power and sounds phenomenal. I enjoy both 7mt, which I own, and pdk.

pdk is way better in the 991, and the auto in the 997.1tt is...not good

for me I would not consider a 997 over a 991.

991.1 or 991.2 is tougher. I enjoyed both a lot. The power is better in the 991.2, but the 991.1s is fast.

i like the looks inside and out more on the 991.2. That said I don't like missing out on sport pasm and other options on the base 991.

i chose a 991.1s over a 991.2 base and know it was the rihjt choice for me.

a 991.2s vs a 991.1s, not sure I wouldn't chose the 991.2 if they cost the same.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
So if most of your driving was <50mph...back and forth to work...would that change your opinion on which car you would go with?
I'd lean more toward comfort and safety. Sit in all the seats to see what fits you best. Get heated and ventilated seats, a good stereo. See if you prefer the all leather interior. Blind spot monitoring and rear cameras. Whether you want a sun roof or not.
I agree that strippers can be desirable (cars that is), but in a used car, you can get a great deal on highly optioned cars, often more % off of original MSRP than lightly optioned ones, but they sell faster.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Golf GTI
Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kennypowers
Well, those are all great choices.

i have a good bit of experience in a 997.1tt, and personally am not much of a fan of the car.

the sound is not very good, even with an aftermarket exhaust, the road noise is very loud, the build quality and technology is not great and dated. The power is great, but it's more than I need. It also has quite a bit of corner entry understeer and can snap oversteer if you lift or do something stupid. It's also fairly heavy at 35xx lbs.

i think the 991 cars are a huge upgrade over the 997. Looks better to me inside and out, more than enough technology for me, and is light and plenty quick.

the suspension changes between the 991 and 997 to me are extreme. The new cars are so much more settled and balanced, it is a huge upgrade to the driving experience for me. My SPASM 991.1S handles phenomenally well on and off track.

the 3.8 also has a ton of power and sounds phenomenal. I enjoy both 7mt, which I own, and pdk.

pdk is way better in the 991, and the auto in the 997.1tt is...not good

for me I would not consider a 997 over a 991.

991.1 or 991.2 is tougher. I enjoyed both a lot. The power is better in the 991.2, but the 991.1s is fast.

i like the looks inside and out more on the 991.2. That said I don't like missing out on sport pasm and other options on the base 991.

i chose a 991.1s over a 991.2 base and know it was the rihjt choice for me.

a 991.2s vs a 991.1s, not sure I wouldn't chose the 991.2 if they cost the same.
Great response! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Very informative
Old 07-20-2017, 01:27 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The .1 C2S lacks low-end torque, so the .2 would probably be "better" unless you keep the RPM at 3k+ in the .1.

Based on your budget I would 100% go for something like the loaded RY C2S I posted. My .1 C2S now has 44k miles and the leather interior still looks great. Also, NA engines are a dying breed and the howl of PSE is awesome
Old 07-20-2017, 01:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Go buy LehmanZ06's yellow 991.2 base. He sounds motivated!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Definitely a nice car! but I'm just not that into yellow. Very cool though
Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
The .1 C2S lacks low-end torque, so the .2 would probably be "better" unless you keep the RPM at 3k+ in the .1.

Based on your budget I would 100% go for something like the loaded RY C2S I posted. My .1 C2S now has 44k miles and the leather interior still looks great. Also, NA engines are a dying breed and the howl of PSE is awesome
yeah, I guess it depends on what you are used to. I don't think the 3.8 is weak down low, and didn't find even a pdk 991.2 base to feel much quicker. At high rpm especially the 3.8 feels quite strong compared to the 991.2. I'm sure the s model is a different beast.

one thing to note is how much louder the 3.8 is than the 3.0. I still thought the 3.0 sounded pretty good though, just much more muted.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If most of your use is going to be DD/commuting type of stuff, you might want to go base .2, PASM, PDK, 14 way seats. You give up a lot, but you get the additional torque, better PCM, more direct steering, slightly more refined suspension, etc. Again, if your primary use is going to be DD. And, if so, go white or silver, as it'll show the dings and scratches less.
Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Golf GTI
If your goal is to have a solid commuter then a 991.2 base or GTI. The 911 platform would be a little noisy for my DD wants/needs but there are many on here that love it.

Also - GTI + 997.1 would be my recommendation given your budget. Hell - you can get a nice used BMW 528 + nice 997.2 for 80K....
Old 07-20-2017, 02:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I wish I could get a 991.2 base without PASM ....

I admit I am a sucker for PTS/LTS and nice interior touches (you can see by my C2 build thread below), but my theory on cars has always been if it may break down the road I don't want it, if it adds weight I don't want it, and once I saw that the engines are the same between base/S/GTS and it is just slightly bigger turbos and more boost for more power, it was easy for me to go with a base because the engine/transmission is less stressed in base form. If I decide it is not enough power, out of warranty I can swap turbos and/or turn up the wick.

Also, the point about a base having lots of options to begin with is also important. A base 991.2 has about $5k worth of things that are options on a base 718 -- PASM, nav, dual zone climate control, Porsche connect etc. -- if I could skip all of those I would. And even a base 718 is nice. Try driving a lotus elise if you want a stripper ....

Finally, no non-Porsche person is going to notice even if you got an absolutely zero option car and you might not care either. Ok, so a few things are nice (like the sport plus seats which is my first option choice on anything without LWBs), but my 993 C4 cab has two options: power seats and colored center wheel caps (wish it did NOT have either as the power seats are prone to inoperative switches and the colored center caps are faded) and that is perfectly fine by me. The only thing I wish it did have is the sport seats, but those are a rare option, especially in 993s.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Go buy LehmanZ06's yellow 991.2 base. He sounds motivated!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Every RBAM owes it to himself to own a Porsche Turbo at some time in his life.

“Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea, and not owning a Porsche Turbo.”

Apologies to - Samuel Johnson

Quick Reply: Budget $80k...what should I get?! 991.1S VS 4S VS 997GTS/Turbo VS 991.2 CPO??