Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget $80k...what should I get?! 991.1S VS 4S VS 997GTS/Turbo VS 991.2 CPO??

Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I don't think I could ever go back to a normally aspirated car, especially living in the mountains. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a normally aspirated GT3, but I'm not really a track guy. For me, the 996 C4S was a great first Porsche. I think a normally aspirated 997.2 or 991.1 would be great also.
living in your area boost is almost a must. An N/A car must feel anaemic.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

PDK car - 997 turbo S (you should be able to fine one in the 80s).
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
Which options are an absolute must if I went with an S/4S?
For me...
Sport Chrono
Full Leather
PSE (Sports Exhaust can be added)
Ventilated seats
Park Assist or rear camera (camera can be added)
Sport Design Steering Wheel
14 or 18 way seats w memory
PASM (or SPASM)
Bose sound at minimum

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 07-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I was in a similar quandary in October of 16. I landed in a CPO '14 991.1 C4 and couldn't be happier. I scored a 118k car for 65k. I still have the balance of the factory warranty with 1500 miles to go and 5 mos. I will probably run out of miles before the CPO kicks in.

I agree the 997 Turbo is amazeballs, but make sure you have extra cash laying around for any major service issues. About a week ago I went to start my car and greeted with a Fuel Pump failure and coolant pipe failure. My inner door panel was starting to pull away from the door its self. (so that got replaced) All told this was a solid 6k worth of warranty work. My wife would have punched me in the face if I told her I just dropped 6k on repairs to my car and only got a fuel pump, some piping, and a door panel out of it.

Actually last week my wife and I were the warranty companies worst nightmare. Between my car, her X3 (also under warranty) had entire headlight housing replaced that cost close to $1500. The oven in our house failed and our home warranty which was 1 month away from running out forked out 3 grand for a replacement unit.

I guess the point I am making is if you go older make sure you have a slush fund set aside for unexpected stuff or a backup car. Honestly a non-S car is fine for a DD unless you live at 5000 feet above sea level or something. Any of these cars 5 seconds or more of WOT could mean one heck of a ticket or jail time. (Looking at you Virginia --communists)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 AM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

pass on the stripped out car, I guarantee that you'll fall in love with a .1 S, try to find one with SC and PSE!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
For me...
Sport Chrono
Full Leather
PSE (Sports Exhaust can be added)
Ventilated seats
Park Assist or rear camera (camera can be added)
Sport Design Steering Wheel
14 or 18 way seats w memory
PASM (or SPASM)
I agree. I didn't think much of full leather until I saw one (and now own it). It really makes the car look so much nicer, more in line with what a $140k car should be. Park Assist and rear camera will be hard to find in older models. I would add Bose or even better Burmester to that list, the base sound system is really bad. My car had $40k in options and I was able to buy for 40% under the original MSRP.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I agree. I didn't think much of full leather until I saw one (and now own it). It really makes the car look so much nicer, more in line with what a $140k car should be. Park Assist and rear camera will be hard to find in older models. I would add Bose or even better Burmester to that list, the base sound system is really bad. My car had $40k in options and I was able to buy for 40% under the original MSRP.
Good point on the Bose. I modified my post to include.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Make a list of what you personally value in a sports car - then go and drive the cars on your list. You will find the answer is fairly straight forward. I noticed the Cayman wasn't on your list - have a look at a 981S/GTS.
I would love to do this, but unfortunately I am in an area where there aren't a ton of 991.1's to drive. So I'll pretty much have to make up my mind, find one, and then drive to get it. I know no matter what I get, if it's a 911 then I will love it. Let's be honest...they are all fantastic cars!
I need 4 seats, so unfortunately a cayman isn't an option...beautiful car though!!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This is pretty much a 991.1 GTS for the price of an S: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post14332018

P.S. Racing Yellow is the best color
Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
This is pretty much a 991.1 GTS for the price of an S: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post14332018

That's a pretty hot car!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

I'd be all over that one
Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by wsjchoi
pass on the stripped out car, I guarantee that you'll fall in love with a .1 S, try to find one with SC and PSE!
Respectfully - I disagree. There is almost a cult following on stripped out cars. Remember that a base - no option 991.1 has more power[with less weight] and more options than many S's of yesteryear. It could also be argued that a stripper is the most fun to ride. I mean drive... I love my PASM, PDCC and SC... and loud aftermarket exhaust but there is a good thesis either way. A Base car gets you to 98% of the experience and options fill in the other 2% of the 911 ownership experience that don't matter to some and enhance for others. the cost of options is the epitome of the law of diminishing returns. Example: the cost of 2 highly optioned 911's is = or > 3 base of the same trim. How nuts is that?

Other things to consider that nobody has mentioned. Test drive the 991.1 and .2. Some just don't like the new boosted engine. If this is your only car and a DD then it may be better.

With regards to the 997 turbo... the 997.1 turbo engine is a mezger and if you are going for reliability and/or modding for big power then the 997.1 is the way to go. 997.2 got a refresh which included a lot of interior upgrades as well as a leaky engine brought in house that is a lot less robust and mod friendly. Newer is not better in this case.

Any of these are emotional decisions. At the end of the day you need to visit each of these, drive them and spend some time on youtube. They each have very different personalities and sounds. One will speak to you and you'll get an emotional connection. You'll know when you know. If you can't decide then wait because you don't know yet. And knowing is half the battle...
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Respectfully - I disagree. There is almost a cult following on stripped out cars. Remember that a base - no option 991.1 has more power[with less weight] and more options than many S's of yesteryear. It could also be argued that a stripper is the most fun to ride. I mean drive... I love my PASM, PDCC and SC... and loud aftermarket exhaust but there is a good thesis either way. A Base car gets you to 98% of the experience and options fill in the other 2% of the 911 ownership experience that don't matter to some and enhance for others. the cost of options is the epitome of the law of diminishing returns. Example: the cost of 2 highly optioned 911's is = or > 3 base of the same trim. How nuts is that?

Other things to consider that nobody has mentioned. Test drive the 991.1 and .2. Some just don't like the new boosted engine. If this is your only car and a DD then it may be better.

With regards to the 997 turbo... the 997.1 turbo engine is a mezger and if you are going for reliability and/or modding for big power then the 997.1 is the way to go. 997.2 got a refresh which included a lot of interior upgrades as well as a leaky engine brought in house that is a lot less robust and mod friendly. Newer is not better in this case.

Any of these are emotional decisions. At the end of the day you need to visit each of these, drive them and spend some time on youtube. They each have very different personalities and sounds. One will speak to you and you'll get an emotional connection. You'll know when you know. If you can't decide then wait because you don't know yet. And knowing is half the battle...
One point that seems to be missed (and I am guilty as I have an incredibly loaded 991S) is the the 991 (both the .1 and .2, especially the S versions) came pretty nicely equipped even before adding options. SPASM/PDCC/Bermester, leather, etc, all add to the experience but are certainly not essential.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:52 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
One point that seems to be missed (and I am guilty as I have an incredibly loaded 991S) is the the 991 (both the .1 and .2, especially the S versions) came pretty nicely equipped even before adding options. SPASM/PDCC/Bermester, leather, etc, all add to the experience but are certainly not essential.
exactly - that's why I said that a base stripper gets you to 98%+ of the 911 experience.

Also - I say it all the time but the general public can't tell the difference in just any Porsche from any generation.... much less spot the difference in trim levels or a highly optioned car. Hell - I had to coach a guy at a recent PCA event that best way to spot a base vs an S is the color of the brakes. Black = base, red = S, yellow = hurricane; as in cost more than hurricane damage to a double wide.

If you drive down the road in a 20K 996 or a 175K 991.2 - most people don't know the difference. Many people would also argue that the 996 is the better driver. Old grumpy men would testify that a 35K air cooled is the better experience. Just goes to show you that opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got one and most stink. Me - I douche frequently so my comments on the 991.2 are for real.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget $80k...what should I get?! 991.1S VS 4S VS 997GTS/Turbo VS 991.2 CPO??