Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo Power & Torque Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
A time slip from a drag strip would be a much better indicator.

Acceleration data from a GPS box in leu of that.

I strongly prefer real world acceleration results to dyno results.
+1

Sadly to many "vested interests" factored into dyno results that sometimes get posted on-line.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
While you're at it, have you been able to figure out why the Turbo S goes into limp mode at Daytona? I'll be back there this December, and trying to decide what car to bring. (Backstory: I brought my track prepped 991.2 TTS to Daytona last December, and the car threw ALL KINDS OF CODES and errors due to the banking. BGB kindly cleared out the codes, but we could never figure out why the car goes into freak mode on the banking with any speed at all) I might have to bring my BMW this December instead.
Hi Randy...my 997S and 997GTS both had issues on the banks of Daytona. Like your 991 my 997's would pop out of sport mode and with PDK that's an issue. It seemed like over 120+mph on NASCAR T3/4 is where it happened the most of me.

I believe John at BGB makes a switch at least for the 997 cars that turns off some sensors like the yaw sensor for example that cures the issue. Not sure on 991's though.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hi Randy...my 997S and 997GTS both had issues on the banks of Daytona. Like your 991 my 997's would pop out of sport mode and with PDK that's an issue. It seemed like over 120+mph on NASCAR T3/4 is where it happened the most of me.

I believe John at BGB makes a switch at least for the 997 cars that turns off some sensors like the yaw sensor for example that cures the issue. Not sure on 991's though.
I think the gist from BGB has been that yeah, it is normal. I either need to suck it up and drive in normal mode or else bring another car. It's disappointing to me that Porsche won't address it, but we'll see how an M4 GTS handles it this Fall.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I think the gist from BGB has been that yeah, it is normal. I either need to suck it up and drive in normal mode or else bring another car. It's disappointing to me that Porsche won't address it, but we'll see how an M4 GTS handles it this Fall.
It's been plaguing PDK cars since 2009 and they're finally starting to get a handle on it; i know you'd prefer to not have it be your problem because we all want to feel safe. Again, if you're the least bit concerned about not having the aids working, which is absolutely a valid concern, don't risk it. I will be there for the event tho and it will be after the October event which is when the engineers are coming over to work with us from Germany during the PCA event.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
+1

Sadly to many "vested interests" factored into dyno results that sometimes get posted on-line.

+ another 1 👍
Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm kind of glad that 991.2 tunes + parts are not all that available yet, so I am forced to drive my car stock for a year.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:51 PM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

any updates?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I'm kind of glad that 991.2 tunes + parts are not all that available yet, so I am forced to drive my car stock for a year.
these parts are all for 991.2 and this is the only available true tune for a 991.2. Sorry, I thought I answered that question earlier.

Originally Posted by Stage7
any updates?
the dyno facility has been stonewalling my customer and is requiring that I come to oversee everything and I'm getting rather frustrated because I shouldn't have to be there and I'm traveling. They usually prefer to deal directly with the shops and my intention was to send the owner down there and not be involved in any way, shape or form.

Originally Posted by Stage7
+ another 1 👍
i am all in favor for providing anything that can't be seen as manipulated or tampered. Why don't I get the owner on here to do some runs and chime in here?! My concern is that now have to wait for a drag strip visit.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
the dyno facility has been stonewalling my customer and is requiring that I come to oversee everything and I'm getting rather frustrated because I shouldn't have to be there and I'm traveling. They usually prefer to deal directly with the shops and my intention was to send the owner down there and not be involved in any way, shape or form.
Horsepower Logic, talk to Jack!
587 105th Ave N, Unit 21
Royal Palm Beach, FL 33411
Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

these parts are all for 991.2 and this is the only available true tune for a 991.2. Sorry, I thought I answered that question earlier.

i am all in favor for providing anything that can't be seen as manipulated or tampered. Why don't I get the owner on here to do some runs and chime in here?! My concern is that now have to wait for a drag strip visit.
I'd be in a mad hurry if I were you!

Drag strip visit shouldn't be a huge issue.
Dyno figures the same.

If you get both together quickly, you have a big competitive advantage over the others. So far, nobody else has a bona fide tune. If you have some proper figures with evidence, I imagine you'd be doing a lot of business with the 991.2 models.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:45 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So how simple is the ECU solution? If I'm out of state, I should ship my car to you? I'm getting full Kline exhaust in a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:04 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?

Jumped the gun a bit? Lol.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
Any updates?

Jumped the gun a bit? Lol.
Another unicorn project. Customer took a job in PA and sold the car. They dyno’d it on the outdoor AWD dyno at Titan Motorsports in Orlando on a hot summer afternoon but couldn’t get a tach pickup; since that means a horsepower plot and no torque plot, I told the guys not to post it. On its final run it made 550awhp pushing both drums running 93 octane but wirhout a good dyno run or 0-100 pull, I guess we will never truly know. I don’t even know where the car went!

I jumped the gun a little thinking I could get someone with a decent dyno to have enough interest to want to dyno the car but tuners are as bad as cage or motor builders when it comes to making appointments.

Sorry folks.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 AM
baracat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another unicorn project. Customer took a job in PA and sold the car. They dyno €™d it on the outdoor AWD dyno at Titan Motorsports in Orlando on a hot summer afternoon but couldn €™t get a tach pickup; since that means a horsepower plot and no torque plot, I told the guys not to post it. On its final run it made 550awhp pushing both drums running 93 octane but wirhout a good dyno run or 0-100 pull, I guess we will never truly know. I don €™t even know where the car went!

I jumped the gun a little thinking I could get someone with a decent dyno to have enough interest to want to dyno the car but tuners are as bad as cage or motor builders when it comes to making appointments.

Sorry folks.
i believe that 550awhp is near to the top hp that is possible to get at this moment with the 991.2 TTS
Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by baracat
i believe that 550awhp is near to the top hp that is possible to get at this moment with the 991.2 TTS
I talked to my buddies at BBi and called around and we all seemed to agree that for a car running just bolt-ons without upgrades to anything else, it was rather stout. This was a hot and humid day and wasn’t good dyno weather. There is a really nice dyno facility here in Orlando that I wanted to have do the car because they have a $100K room with good ventilation but they didn’t seem too interested in getting back to us. Sorry for the hype. We got busy with the racing, the 6-spd RS project and then the hurricane and when I finally caught up with the owner last week he told me the car was gone. It will always be the fastest car I’ve ever driven. If you’ve ever been in something whose acceleration makes you nauseous while YOU are behind the wheel, you will know what I mean.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo Power & Torque Upgrades