Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Choices, choices. Please weigh in... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/999071-choices-choices-please-weigh-in.html)

mdbonedoc 07-10-2017 06:26 PM

Choices, choices. Please weigh in...

I have a 2014 Turbo S cab that I love and plan on keeping. I have been told by my amazing wife to plan on getting something new for my 50th in about 18 months. So, if you had the choice, what would you get? I have thought about everything from Huracan Performente to 488 GTB, as well as 720s and even a few year old Aventador. I would welcome any and all thoughts, criticism and advice. Thank you in advance. Regards

Dennis C 07-10-2017 08:59 PM

I feel like I have to scratch the Ferrari itch at some point in my life. I'm not sure what that will be yet, but it's in my future. I also plan to keep my 2014 Turbo S cabriolet.

The new Aston Martin DB11 looks pretty sweet. Have you considered AM?

STKDoctor 07-10-2017 09:27 PM

720s looks mighty fine right now. Def the car to beat with looks to kill.

I'd be all over that in some sort of a blue, or even that burnt orange launch car.

mdbonedoc 07-11-2017 06:49 AM

I do like the AM DB11. Still very torn on this decision.

Nanook 07-11-2017 08:27 AM

Tough position to be in :)

porsche42 07-11-2017 09:27 AM

The Huracan is really great looking car, the McLaren 720s though is a world beater. I would check maintenance on both cars as well as insurance. My buddy bought a Hurcan going from a 911 Turbo and the insurance increase was unbelievable. He was over 50 and had a great driving record as well.

Nice position to be in. Your wife sounds like mine, she has no problems with my toys.

golden1911 07-11-2017 09:35 AM

Ferrari 488 for sure!

Don't even bother with the aventador, you'll hate it coming from a 911. I had one and sold it within 12 months.

nothing beats a ferrari! they also hold their value better than most cars... Aston is nice as well, but not nearly as sporty.

golden1911 07-11-2017 09:36 AM

oh sorry, and the mclaren. Id still probably pick the 488 over the 720s.

sdg1871 07-11-2017 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by mdbonedoc
I have a 2014 Turbo S cab that I love and plan on keeping. I have been told by my amazing wife to plan on getting something new for my 50th in about 18 months. So, if you had the choice, what would you get? I have thought about everything from Huracan Performente to 488 GTB, as well as 720s and even a few year old Aventador. I would welcome any and all thoughts, criticism and advice. Thank you in advance. Regards

Huracan is super reliable and proven. I'm not that into Lambos and wouldn't want all that extra attention.

488 is an amazing car that will hold its resale value well but obviously purchase price is going to be expensive

Aventador it's for show only. If you're craving attention at every stoplight and at car shows this is the car to get. But they're not particularly well made or reliable and the drive is not up to some of the other cars here especially given the car's giant size and primitive single clutch transmission.

720s Will be faster than all of them and apparently drives smoothly too. Downsides are breathtaking expected depreciation and McLaren's less than stellar reliability. Virtually everyone I know with McLarens have had problems with them.

On that list I would get the 488 but that's me. Or maybe a 720s once used to let someone else get boned on the massive McLaren depreciation

JD911 07-11-2017 04:46 PM

If we had a McLaren dealership in this market, it would be 720S all day long.

Good luck with the decision. What a great problem to have!

zirrah 07-11-2017 04:53 PM

I'd try and drive them if you can. If it were me though, the McLaren or the Ferrari would be the choices I'd narrow it down to.

ipse dixit 07-11-2017 11:36 PM

What do you plan on using the new car for?

BOOSTED TTS 07-12-2017 03:57 AM

Huracan Performente for the win!

PPFANBOY 07-12-2017 04:23 AM

I've driven every car there except the McLaren.
It depends on what you want. My biased opinions below.

Aventador- most road presence second to none and arguably best looking/best sounding. Not very comfortable, gearbox sucks and would only be good for occasional driving. An epic choice, but not a very practical one. Also note that if you get an old one, there is a facelift now available, that might be a factor.

Huracan- Just like an r8 v10, doesn't have signature Lambo doors and will always be "not an Aventador". I would honestly pick the r8. That said, it does drive very nice, engine and gearbox is nice.

Ferrari 488- Amazing. I would pick this if you want to drive more often. Pretty comfortable, looks nice, sounds nice. Available in hard top convertible if you like too.

McLaren looks good. I've driven the current 570 and 650, not a fan. They drive well. That's about it. Looks aren't original, interior mediocre, McLaren haven't been making production cars long so they do have issues and not much production heritage (I'm talking about production not racing).

mdbonedoc 07-12-2017 06:30 AM

Awesome input, thank you all! I will be driving this car fairly often in good weather, although not a daily driver. I will try to test drive them as well. I am interested in how much improvement he 720s is over existing Mclarens. Has anyone driven the AM DB 11?